Verizon getting rid of contracts and making changes to data plans Aug 13

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It truly boggles my mind...they make a change to their pricing to move the etf over to a not payed financed amount on a device to do away with contracts except as a last resort...

Toooooooo supposedly give people the ability to jump from phone to phone as new ones come out...and this makes it easier than the edge plan...

I need a Tylenol...

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no money to be made for the telcos on subsidies, looks like full price from now on, the money is in the data.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Alright, for those interested in more than 12gb of data, the options are as follows:
20gb for $120
25gb for $175
30gb for $225
40gb for $300
50gb for $375
60gb for $450
80gb for $600
100gb for $750

Any overages are $15/1gb just like before, but now that rate applies to even the 1gb plan.

Sent from my Verizon G4

Hodor

Reaction score
OMG, those rates are outrageous! I have a more everything 30gb plan for $130 shared between 4 lines, and get a work discount off that too! $225 for the same thing? that's not going to happen....

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Crikey! At those prices & my current usage, I'd be paying a couple grand a month. Well, if it wasn't confirmed before, it is now..... It's all about giving the customer the shaft so VZW can make a few more billion a month.
Time to up my consumption to a whole other level.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Alright, for those interested in more than 12gb of data, the options are as follows:
20gb for $120
25gb for $175
30gb for $225
40gb for $300
50gb for $375
60gb for $450
80gb for $600
100gb for $750

LOL, the price per gigabyte INCREASES then remains flat...you don't see that too often.
$6.00
$7.00
$7.50
$7.50
$7.50
$7.50
$7.50
$7.50

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So one of my co-workers asked if he's eligible for a new phone yet. He's eyeing whatever iPhone gets announced in Sept. I have been thinking about this for awhile but hadn't called VZW about it yet. Figured this was as good a time as any.
If we don't get contract pricing anymore this is going to severely impact the way we buy phones. So I called Verizon:
"No sir, you can still buy on-contract phones. The new no-contract pricing is for consumer level plans only".

Good thing, because my next call would have been to AT&T. Apparently, VZW does not want to risk losing business customers, which make sense. VZW doesn't care that much about your $90 personal plan (as they've pretty much straight up said in the past), but our $3,000/mo plan???? THAT'S a different story.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So one of my co-workers asked if he's eligible for a new phone yet. He's eyeing whatever iPhone gets announced in Sept. I have been thinking about this for awhile but hadn't called VZW about it yet. Figured this was as good a time as any.
If we don't get contract pricing anymore this is going to severely impact the way we buy phones. So I called Verizon:
"No sir, you can still buy on-contract phones. The new no-contract pricing is for consumer level plans only".

Good thing, because my next call would have been to AT&T. Apparently, VZW does not want to risk losing business customers, which make sense. VZW doesn't care that much about your $90 personal plan (as they've pretty much straight up said in the past), but our $3,000/mo plan???? THAT'S a different story.
Rumor has it that personal consumers can still get them on contract too.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Anyone can get a 2 year contract. You're just going to pay more for your service of you are on a shared data plan.

Sent from my Verizon G4

duxdad

Reaction score
CK5XXcT.png

Verizon is making some huge changes to the way it operates. On August 13th, the carrier will be changing its plans in regard to data and devices. Verizon will now be offering four data plans and will no longer offer separate single-line or family plan options.

Two-year contracts will also be gone as well as smartphone subsidies. They will be moving to a similar system that T-Mobile uses by letting customers buy a phone outright or allowing them to pay monthly installments.

With the new plans each smartphone line will cost $20 a month, with tablet and Jetpack hotspot products costing $10 per month. Other devices such as smartwatches will cost $5 a month.

Continue reading here: Verizon is getting rid of phone contracts and changing data plans on August 13th TalkAndroid.com
Yesterday I got a survey from Verizon regarding a plan they were "considering". Some of the highlights different from what has been announced were:
1 - Data rollover if not used.
2 - Data overage bought at $5 per GB

Based on my 5 phone family plan the price would drop from $310 to $225. Currently 3 of our 5 phones have unlimited, probably no one used more than 3GB. I estimated we use 12 GB total for 5 phones and would use 25GB on new plan. The $225 was based on the 25GB total for 5 phones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd have a better time with one of these new "plans" if they included rollover data for sure. I have yet to hit my 5GB that I have on my plan now, but I'm always right around or just above the 3GB, so if I could get by going light on data usage here and there, I think I could switch to the 3GB plan (assuming I get to keep my 1GB promotional data for the rest of the 2 years).

Where I have an issue is I took advantage of the promo they ran around the beginning of the year where they doubled my 2GB of data for the same price each month. I forget the details of the new plans, but I think I'd be paying about the same for less now. I'm currently on the edge plan for my Note 4, so I'm getting that discount on my line access charge, but once it's paid off, I'm either keeping it for quite a while longer or buying a new Moto X straight from Moto Maker.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Anyone can get a 2 year contract. You're just going to pay more for your service of you are on a shared data plan.

Huh? How much more? So Verizon says "no more contracts"... but will give you one if you ask nicely?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Huh? How much more? So Verizon says "no more contracts"... but will give you one if you ask nicely?
$40 for the line instead of $20 with the new plans, or instead of $15/$25 with the More Everything plans. 2yr contracts are not advertised anywhere for Verizon, but they are absolutely still available

Sent from my Verizon G4

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just contacted VZW trying to get the 12GB for $80 a month as we are on the More everything "I think" at $80 for 10gb... Of course our bill will go UP by doing this as we get our monthly line access is $15 not $20 because of our EDGE plan or whatever....

What really bothers me is when we got on this plan it was $100/month then a week later we got a letter saying that since we had been with VZW so long we were getting it for $80 which I was pleased with. But now that has all changed again. I just don't know what to do with VZW anymore. Seems if they are so happy with us being a customer and so eager to "please" me when I call or online chat that someone could say oh yes I see you have been with us for 7 years or more now we can upgrade you that 2GB a month at no cost... Especially when they look at our usage and it is generally less than 6GB a month... I would downgrade but I just don't sleep well at night without that buffer zone... The GF and her mother can both be airheads and I can see them racking up big data all of a sudden not knowing it.