Verizon confirmed today that ICS is coming to the BIONIC. No time frame given...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed, too many people are easily persuaded by unofficial announcements. ETAs with technology are never accurate. =[

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

What a app developer needs to do is to modify the "Magic 8 Ball" app so you can ask it questions about ETAs and get answers like "Coming out shortly" or "Not until next quarter" in addition to the usual "Check back later."

Scribble

Reaction score
Last night when the crescent moon had risen above the zenith I gazed upon the silver lake in the woods behind my house seeking answers about the ICS release date from the Wokathni the ancient spirit of the forest.

His response was:

"Woah unto those who speak unto the dim light souls of yesteryear. Their cries of anguish belittles the merriment of your own quest. Fear not- For all is not yet lost! What you seek lies only in the graven heart of a true warrior."

I'm still not sure if he was pulling my leg (you can never trust forest spirits you know) but it's something at least. Although it did cost me the still warm heart of the great stag, so there IS that...

melladon

Reaction score
Last night when the crescent moon had risen above the zenith I gazed upon the silver lake in the woods behind my house seeking answers about the ICS release date from the Wokathni the ancient spirit of the forest.

His response was:

"Woah unto those who speak unto the dim light souls of yesteryear. Their cries of anguish belittles the merriment of your own quest. Fear not- For all is not yet lost! What you seek lies only in the graven heart of a true warrior."

I'm still not sure if he was pulling my leg (you can never trust forest spirits you know) but it's something at least. Although it did cost me the still warm heart of the great stag, so there IS that...

Bahahah. Well played.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have all heard for over 6 months now that the bionic will get ICS but no one can give a time frame. I've heard January and February and March... Guess what? Still no ICS... At this point I dint even care.. There are ICS roms if you want it so bad. I'm not holding my breath.

tappin and talkin on my BIONIC

Get so sick of these types of complaints - happens with EVERY device that gets released.

It seems like people would prefer the manufacturers release these new OSes the minute they hit Google's servers. However, i'd venture to say that very few of you have ANY experience coding a new operating system/driver/etc. If they rush this out, IT WON'T WORK. If you thought you had it bad with the launch Bionic OS, i'd venture to say a rushed ICS would be even worse. Better to wait until things are working well, rather than rush things. ICS is NOT so earth shatteringly different that your very existence will change upon its release. It's just another Android version to get used to.

Personally, I am happy with my Bionic as it currently sits. NOT looking forward to ICS (and the inevitable breakage of features).

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get so sick of these types of complaints - happens with EVERY device that gets released.

It seems like people would prefer the manufacturers release these new OSes the minute they hit Google's servers. However, i'd venture to say that very few of you have ANY experience coding a new operating system/driver/etc. If they rush this out, IT WON'T WORK. If you thought you had it bad with the launch Bionic OS, i'd venture to say a rushed ICS would be even worse. Better to wait until things are working well, rather than rush things. ICS is NOT so earth shatteringly different that your very existence will change upon its release. It's just another Android version to get used to.

Personally, I am happy with my Bionic as it currently sits. NOT looking forward to ICS (and the inevitable breakage of features).

Couldn't agree more...

I had a Sensation 4G with T-Mobile, which is supposed to officially get ICS later this month. Leaks have been coming out pretty regularly for the past few months, and every single one of them has had some bugs that make it "not worthy" of a final release... bluetooth being sketchy, data/wifi not playing well together, down to really small issues like a setting toggle that doesn't change it's appearance when you select it. ICS is a big change on the OS level. Add that to the fact that we all know Verizon isn't the fastest in this area (or is the most thorough? hmm), and it shouldn't be a surprise. Verizon officially stated the Bionic would get ICS this year, along with the others on that list that just came out. So that's all we can be assured of right now. Yes, that could change, but it's not because they're lazy or hate the power users - which, face it, power users are the only ones that care about this and make up a minority at the most.

Scribble

Reaction score
power users are the only ones that care about this and make up a minority at the most.

Not sure if I agree on this one... Maybe some of the other OS updates they did yes... But with ICS they've been really pushing how great it is, and some of the new updates they've been doing only apply to ICS... so I think more and more non power users are itching for THIS particular Android update.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I agree on this one... Maybe some of the other OS updates they did yes... But with ICS they've been really pushing how great it is, and some of the new updates they've been doing only apply to ICS... so I think more and more non power users are itching for THIS particular Android update.

You're probably right to a certain extent - the VZW reps definitely know about ICS more than prior releases (notice I didn't say "more about ICS"). Still think it constitute's a "minority" though ;)

FWIW, I used ICS pretty extensively on the Sensation 4G, both the leaked final Sense-based version, and a "vanilla" version (and the Sensation is no slouch of a device). Also had a Gnex for a time before we left VZW for awhile. It's smoother, but beyond that, I found it to be just... different. I personally don't like the new task-switching - it feels bulkier/slower. But then again, I would consider myself an "old man" in the mobile world now... i.e. I don't like "tinkering" much any more. :wacko:

Scribble

Reaction score
You're probably right to a certain extent - the VZW reps definitely know about ICS more than prior releases (notice I didn't say "more about ICS"). Still think it constitute's a "minority" though ;)

FWIW, I used ICS pretty extensively on the Sensation 4G, both the leaked final Sense-based version, and a "vanilla" version (and the Sensation is no slouch of a device). Also had a Gnex for a time before we left VZW for awhile. It's smoother, but beyond that, I found it to be just... different. I personally don't like the new task-switching - it feels bulkier/slower. But then again, I would consider myself an "old man" in the mobile world now... i.e. I don't like "tinkering" much any more. :wacko:

Wait- maybe I misread your post? I thought you meant power users were the only ones clamoring for an ICS release date?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wait- maybe I misread your post? I thought you meant power users were the only ones clamoring for an ICS release date?

No you were right, that's what I was saying. I was just adding the observation that the VZW reps do seem to be more aware that ICS is coming, which (in my opinion) is an indication that, as you said, it's more well known than previous releases.

zirkdog

Reaction score
I honestly don't know if you're being sarcastic or not lulz.

Sarcasm all the way man!!!!

On a side note, it amazes me that people actually listen to some random guy when it comes to stuff like this!!!! Until you see it in an official statement from either Moto or VZW don't believe anything you hear from a rep on either side of the house. Most of us on this forum know more about the phones and upgrades coming than any of the reps do!!!!!

It was very much sarcasm. I just like to drop in an stir the pot of the standard weekly thread which tells us all that: ICS is coming, OTA's are near, the sky is falling, etc.

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
I honestly think that we won't see ICS (with the exception of rooting) until '13. That's right, I said it. At first I think they said February, then March, then a few more setbacks into 3rd quarter.. I'm calling bull on it. I think 3rd quarter is when Motorola is going to have it ready for the Bionic.. But I believe Verizon will have some additional "features" (cough bloatware cough) before they release it, and then testing those "features" on the Bionic, making sure it's all set to go..

So yeah, my bets on Quarter 1 of next year provided the world doesn't end (which it should have 7 months ago, you can Google that) and I'm probably not going to go for the full wait, I might just wait for my warranty to expire and root it. I don't root during warranties because fair is fair, rooting your device voids the warranty. "But you can unroot it and they'll never know!", sorry, that's against my morals. I'm not going to make a Verizon worker fix or replace my $200 phone because of something that I did, that I knew would void my warranty.

I'm done with that little rant... Want to know what would be awesome?? :D I saw somebody say something about vanilla, and I was thinking.. For each subdivision of ICS there should be flavors :D 4.0.x Vanilla, 4.1.x Chocolate, 4.2.x Mint, you get the idea :D I'm hungry now.

mikeyd08

Reaction score
I'm just gonna enjoy my bionic as is, it's a great phone (at least now that the connection problems seem fixed). I've come to the conclusion that my 2year contract with Verizon will be up before I see ICS on the bionic.
Sure enough that would be 2013. By then I'll be looking at my next phone and wondering if it has jelly bean or whatever's after that! (Plus, what's after quad-core?)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using DroidForums

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
I'm not complaining, it's a terrific phone, and I don't doubt whoever was saying "you guys don't know how hard it is to code softwares for other drivers" or something along those lines, I'm just saying I don't think it'll happen this year.

And I agree with you. By the time the Bionic is updated to ICS, Jellybean will probably be out and they're probably going to be working on 5.0.0 when we get ICS as well. The outlook for the Bionic seems like it's always going to be a step or two behind.

And that's easy! After the quad core comes the six pack! :D

Another question to be answered: Android Operating systems are alphabetically named after desserts (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jellybean(?)). The next system is 5.0.0, the letter K. What do you think it should be called?

My answer: Potassium :D go chemistry!