Cautionary Tale for those Waiting for ICS

MightyT01

Reaction score
I want to caution those of you drooling over the Bionic's upcoming ICS upgrade. I own both a Razr Maxx and Bionic. Love both phones, even with my Maxx upgraded to ICS. But I want to warn you all that you run the risk of losing some key functionality of your Bionic. If I had known that Flash video was going to be borked on ICS for my Maxx I would not have taken the update. Go over and read up on the Razr forum and see for yourself. Some Razr owners have been sucessful some not. I have not been successful. To me this is a significant limitation to the ICS upgrade. Furthermore, those who do have it working on ICS report the loss of playback functionality while streaming flash vids. All you can do is tap the screen to stop and start it. Fullscreen appears to not work. Not sure about this since I cannot get it to work, in spite of factory resetting and applying all the known fixes.

If Flash video is a must for you then delay the Bionic ICS update until it is fully confirmed that Flash works, works consistently and without major glitches. This is a consequence of Adobe discontinuing Flash support and Google not maintaining support for older versions in their Android updates. Even the Nexus 7 with Jellybean requires rooting and a work around to get it to work. This was a major selling point of Android devices that sadly is no longer the case. Our devices are becoming more Iphony *sigh*.

Another big aspect is FoxFi, and for those rooted, Verizon WiFi hotspot hack, Google's WiFi Tether, etc. Ever since my upgrade to ICS on my Maxx it has been very flaky and I cannot maintain a connection to my phone when using any of these methods. The devices connecting to my phone always drop. The only tethering app that is rock solid for me is PdaNet via USB connection.

Please don't mistake me for complaining. Most of the benefits in my ICS upgrade outweigh the cons. Webtop 3.0 is awesome. I love it. It is much better than Webtop 2.0. The ICS look and feel is a lot nicer, along with the ability to do folders on your homescreen, very nice.

Just exercise caution and don't rush to update until some other chump can confirm any of these bugs I mentioned above. I will not update my Bionic because I have the luxury of using two phones and can switch back and forth. Most of you do not and if Flash and WiFi tethering is your thing then wait it out. Oh, if you are going to update your Bionic to ICS, you may want to do a factory reset of your Bionic just before ICS rolls out and start with a clean slate. It may cause less problems after the upgrade. I have no evidence other then my anecdotal a$$vice.

Hope this was useful to some of you.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
Maybe this is why ics for the bionic hasn't been released yet.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

bbtkd

Reaction score
Maybe this is why ics for the bionic hasn't been released yet.

You think Googl/Moto/Verizon cares if flash works? Flash is being desupported last I heard, so this is inevitable and everyone is expected to move to HTML5.

skennelly

Reaction score
I have two devices running ICS and flash works on both stock browsers. The only browser that flash doesn't work on is chrome. If what you say is correct, then this is obviously a Motorola issue as opposed to an ICS issue.

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10

OP
MightyT01

MightyT01

Reaction score
I have two devices running ICS and flash works on both stock browsers. The only browser that flash doesn't work on is chrome. If what you say is correct, then this is obviously a Motorola issue as opposed to an ICS issue.

Let's hope so. We'll see in any subsequent patches. Again, everyone's mileage may vary. Just don't jump on the ICS fanboy wagon.

Sent from my rooted Droid Razr Maxx on Tapatalk 2.

dautley

Reaction score
1. Flash is going away in Jelly Bean and will be less significant with each day that passes.
2. Foxfi works fine on all Bionic ICS leaks though you may have to reconfigure the connection with whatever device your use to using it with.
3. The benefits of ICS on the Bionic, enabling both cores, a radio with no data drops, and a 200Mhz speed boost for some, far outweigh any reason to keep Gingerbread around. :)

maaybraak

Reaction score
I've actually just ran into my first problem w/the ICS .232 leak today. My sound goes in and out on its own. I'll be playing a game (Dead Trigger constantly), I'll pause the game for a couple minutes, and when I come back to it, no sound. After a few minutes, it comes back on. Any thoughts?

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

OP
MightyT01

MightyT01

Reaction score
1. Flash is going away in Jelly Bean and will be less significant with each day that passes.
2. Foxfi works fine on all Bionic ICS leaks though you may have to reconfigure the connection with whatever device your use to using it with.
3. The benefits of ICS on the Bionic, enabling both cores, a radio with no data drops, and a 200Mhz speed boost for some, far outweigh any reason to keep Gingerbread around. :)

Good news so far. Just want folks to be cautious in their enthusiasm. Razr owners may have been the guinea pigs. Remember Flash is still widely used and very important to some.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
I need to Root my Bionic to stop the update and stay on GB right???
I would rather keep Flash right now!

I know there's a boatload of "Confusing" Root threads on here, do you have any recommended ones that are the easiest to follow???

skennelly

Reaction score
I need to Root my Bionic to stop the update and stay on GB right???
I would rather keep Flash right now!

I know there's a boatload of "Confusing" Root threads on here, do you have any recommended ones that are the easiest to follow???

There is one "how to root" thread in the bionic forum, not a boatload.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=169993
How To: Root your Motorola DROID Bionic

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Thanks :p Ive been on these posts for so long, I confuse "Myself" sometimes with all the information I try to absorb! lol. I pretty much read most, so I can learn about other phones too! Just get them jumbled up on like which root is for which phone !!! Thanks again:hail:

virgil71468

Reaction score
Guys, not sure what the deal is but I've been on ics. 235 3 weeks now and not one single problem. Nada. Stop to consider all these different "custom" roms and rooting proceedures you go through? Just asking so don't bite back too hard.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
virgil71468 said:
Guys, not sure what the deal is but I've been on ics. 235 3 weeks now and not one single problem. Nada. Stop to consider all these different "custom" roms and rooting proceedures you go through? Just asking so don't bite back too hard.

I would really like to upgrade to ICS with everyone else! My first smartphone didn't have "FLASH" and after awhile, I (really) wanted to be able to watch TV and movies on my phone too!
So when I upgraded, I asked the rep 10 times, ("are you sure") this Bionic can do all the Flash stuff, cause if it can't then I'm bringing it right back and I'm gonna be PISSED!!!

MY Bionic does "Everything" that I want my smartphone to do!!! I love it!!
If you "take away" or "disable" any function and capability that it has right now, that's going "Backwards" NOT forwards!!! And disabling FLASH is just a slap in the face for everybody that bought the phone cause it was also Flash friendly!

HTML5 is still being adopted and (most, I say MOST!) sites are just happy to sit on FLASH cause that's what 2 Billion people are still gonna be using for years to come! Supported or Not!

So where does that leave the handful of idiots that have HTML devices and can't even use it!??? I'm sorry, this makes me really mad!
So until this "Future" time comes, I'll do everything I can do to block it! I'll be watching TV on my phone while the rest are just "pissed off":(

If I can "UPGRADE" and not "DOWNGRADE" my phone to ICS, I would really appreciate you all letting me know when that happens? ;-P. Peace

OP
MightyT01

MightyT01

Reaction score

I've got two Maxxes in my household and one Bionic. My wife's Maxx is not rooted and flash is broke on her ICS. Read google play Flash comments from Razr owners about how Flash is broke on their ICS updated phones.

I'm glad to hear ICS on the Bionic may be better. Just want folks out there to be informed about any possible issues.

maaybraak

Reaction score
Not had any problems out of my .232 build except a small audio issue that vanished as soon as it happened. Still in luv w/my Bionic and ics!

Sent from my ICED .232 Bionic