Verizon charging for GV text messaging?

Guindalf

Reaction score
I set up a second GV account using a Google number so I could use texting. I'm not a big fan/user, so even a $5 plan makes no sense to me, but I have one or two people who send the occasional text.

However, being under the impression that I could utilize the data part of my plan instead of incurring costs, I sent and received a few through the GV account. Afterwards, I checked my Verizon account and saw 27 texts (at 20 cents each!). WTF???

I called and explained the situation and was told that ALL GV texts as well as IM messages were chargeable at the text messaging rate.

Is this true for you or is there a way I need to set up GV so no costs are incurred?

GadgetRick

Reaction score
I set up a second GV account using a Google number so I could use texting. I'm not a big fan/user, so even a $5 plan makes no sense to me, but I have one or two people who send the occasional text.

However, being under the impression that I could utilize the data part of my plan instead of incurring costs, I sent and received a few through the GV account. Afterwards, I checked my Verizon account and saw 27 texts (at 20 cents each!). WTF???

I called and explained the situation and was told that ALL GV texts as well as IM messages were chargeable at the text messaging rate.

Is this true for you or is there a way I need to set up GV so no costs are incurred?
I find that hard to believe.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

They don't have anything to do with GV. If you got charged then you had to of used your regular texting and just thought you were using google voice.

When your doing a text in Google Voice you will know it because you will not have word complete available. That's the easiest indicator. Perhaps you were in a conversation with someone and they text you back at your regular number? If you replied, you would of course be on Verizon's texting at that point.

I've never been charged for using Google Voice, it's a different number. Verizon isn't even aware of if you have a Google Voice number according to a rep I spoke with. (Yes, I know):)

medicTHREE

Reaction score
are you getting text notifications in your messaging app from GV? If so, you are going to get charged. you need to only use the GV app. Nothing else. Turn off SMS notifications in google.com/voice

unknowndroid

Reaction score
are you getting text notifications in your messaging app from GV? If so, you are going to get charged. you need to only use the GV app. Nothing else. Turn off SMS notifications in google.com/voice

BINGO!!! That is the issue.

kbrede

Reaction score
I remembered reading a FAQ on that, here it is.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-faq/2758-google-voice-faq.html

7. What about text messaging?

Text messages you send and receive via the Google Voice app are free. However, if you have your Google Voice account set to forward SMS messages to your Verizon mobile number, those SMS messages are treated the same as any other sms messages.

<snip>

If you would like to conserve SMS usage, it is possible to have your SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail account. This can be done from the Google Voice website under Settings > Voicemail & SMS. This is a good workaround for the GVoice 5 minute refresh problem. GMail is pushed, so any SMS messages forwarded to your Gmail will be received instantly. Remember to disable SMS forwarding to your mobile if using this method.

Kent

backlash

Reaction score
When your doing a text in Google Voice you will know it because you will not have word complete available. That's the easiest indicator.

I've never been charged for using Google Voice, it's a different number. Verizon isn't even aware of if you have a Google Voice number according to a rep I spoke with. (Yes, I know):)
When I go into my google voice app, go into SMS, when I start typing a message I get the suggestions of words it "thinks" I'm trying to type, and if I tap one of those words, it pops it into my message.

Are you talking about that or something else? Where it just automatically puts in a word it "thinks" you're trying to type even if you don't select it.

calicocal

Reaction score
To text using google voice do I need people to send texts to my google voice number, or can they still text my normal Verizon number?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To text using google voice do I need people to send texts to my google voice number, or can they still text my normal Verizon number?

To get the text free of charge and not have it count against your Verizon account they should use your Google Voice number. Also as mentioned previously make sure you set your phone up so that your notifications don't come through Verizon or else you will be charged for those as well.

calicocal

Reaction score

To get the text free of charge and not have it count against your Verizon account they should use your Google Voice number. Also as mentioned previously make sure you set your phone up so that your notifications don't come through Verizon or else you will be charged for those as well.

I get unlimited texts, but I am moving to a place with no cell coverage. I heard that GV could receive texts over wifi. How do I do this?

boostdscoob

Reaction score
how many cheapasses buy a $300 phone? really? i pay $30 a month for unlimited everything but minutes.. so instead of receiving a random crazy $200 bill due to overages, why wouldnt you just pay the $30 and not have to worry about overages.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how many cheapasses buy a $300 phone? really? i pay $30 a month for unlimited everything but minutes.. so instead of receiving a random crazy $200 bill due to overages, why wouldnt you just pay the $30 and not have to worry about overages.

Gee, I don't know. 30 x12 =360.00 a year. That could be why.:icon_eek: I pay 60.00 a year that's enough.

I also didn't pay 300.00 for the phone.