Google Voice questions

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope this is an appropriate place for these inquiries. I hooked up Google voice yesterday and been personalizing since. So far here's what I'm seeing and looking for any any suggestions or setting directions to fix.

1) The settings are set to all calls made from the GV number, but when texting, it comes through the other side as my normal cell number and not my Google Voice number. It's confusing to others who I've informed of my new number.

2) When I get a text message, I'm notified by Handcent (preferred app for texting) and also GV, which if chosen, doesn't go to Handcent but the "stock" messaging app. Anyway to get he GV to open Handcent or just turn off the text notification in GV?

3) I signed up for Visual Voicemail before getting GV. Is that now useless if everyone uses the GV number? I don't want to cancel it if I still need it. I do like it's UI.

4) I thought the information said that there was free unlimited texting. If so, how does it get separated from the cell phone carrier plan?

Thanks and mods feel free to move if more appropriate in another forum.

Last edited:

thistle

Reaction score
1) The settings are set to all calls made from the GV number, but when texting, it comes through the other side as my normal cell number and not my Google Voice number. It's confusing to others who I've informed of my new number.
I assume by "settings" you mean in the Google Voice app. If you want to use Handcent or the default messaging app you'll need to store the 406 number GV assigns each of your contacts and use that to text. If you want to do free messaging via data you'll need to use the GV app to text.
2) When I get a text message, I'm notified by Handcent (preferred app for texting) and also GV, which if chosen, doesn't go to Handcent but the "stock" messaging app. Anyway to get he GV to open Handcent or just turn off the text notification in GV?
Yes, turn off notifications in the other apps.
3) I signed up for Visual Voicemail before getting GV. Is that now useless if everyone uses the GV number? I don't want to cancel it if I still need it. I do like it's UI.
If you're going to completely switch everyone to your GV number all of Verizon's services, e.g. VVM, voicemail, etc., pretty much become redundant. So, yes, if GV's vvm is sufficient I would dump Verizon's. You might also consider getting rid of text messaging and using GV's exclusively.

Trever1t

Reaction score
If he turns of notifications in handcent and receives a text to his original cell? I use both my cell and GV #'s depending on situation, I also receive notifications from both.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he turns of notifications in handcent and receives a text to his original cell? I use both my cell and GV #'s depending on situation, I also receive notifications from both.

If you receive a text and get a notification from both Google Voice and on your regular messaging you're being charged against your Verizon text message count (unless you're unlimited).

Now I did something in my Settings on line in Google Voice to stop that but for the life of me I can't find where or how I did it anymore. It looks like the page changed.

timlitw

Reaction score
to get free SMS you have to go into the google voice web page then settings, then voicemail SMS turn off forward sms and voicemail sms notifications. You'll have to use the google voice sms for free sms other wise they are still delivered via sms from google voice to your phone and still count up.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
to get free SMS you have to go into the google voice web page then settings, then voicemail SMS turn off forward sms and voicemail sms notifications. You'll have to use the google voice sms for free sms other wise they are still delivered via sms from google voice to your phone and still count up.
Makes sense. However I don't see any SMS forwarding except to email (and that is turned off as it seemed redundant). The other is to email VM message to email.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
bump.gif

Another odd question. When I receive messages from people in my contacts, instead of their name at the top, there's a number that looks like a 406xxxxxxx number. What is that? Reference number? Some phone number?

EDIT: Seems to be in Handcent that has it. Any ideas?

vonfink13

Reaction score
i just got my google voice all set up..do any of you know how long it takes to get invites in my account to give out and do you know how many i will get..?...thanks in advance.