Google Voice SMS (free?)

dbutters

Reaction score
How much slower is texting via google voice rather than the regular verizon texting? Is it worth cancelling your texting plan?

I found the delay in receiving GV txts unacceptably slow. It took 15 minutes for me to get a txt once, so I went back to VZ's messaging.

The shortest notification time on GV is 5 minutes, so that might be more acceptable. It would be nice if it had push notification like the gmail app.

--edit: Ask and ye shall receive - http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=36ee0d7f551343de&hl=en

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually, I wrote about how this thread helped me out. turns out after I unchecked the box, nothing changed and I am still getting sms' in teh GV app as well as my phone's inbox (from the GV number). Is there anything else I am supposed to do or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

gsDroid

Reaction score
Sign in to your Voice account on a computer at google.com/voice. Go to Settings > Voice settings. Choose the Voicemail & Text tab. Uncheck everything and you should stop getting additional sms messages in your phone inbox and stop getting e-mails forwarded with the sms message.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
SMS forwarding is actually under the Phones tab. Hit the Edit button for the phone and uncheck "Receive text messages on this phone".

"Text forwarding" under the Voicemail & Text tab is for forwarding text messages to email and the other checkboxes are just for voicemail notifications, not text messages.