GV Texting

thelion

Reaction score
Can someone with Google Voice please explain this to me? I have GV. I keep reading that you can text through GV at no cost - how does this work exactly because if I could I would love to save that extra $15 a month.

Caindris

Reaction score
Google Voice syncs all your contacts on your phone. Download the google voice app in the market place. Open the program, type the name of the contact, press the settings button (the 3 lines at the bottom of the screen) and it will give you an option to sms text. Press that, type your message, and it is sent through your GVoice number. You'll also need to log into GVoice from your PC and tell it to disable notification on your phone. Gvoice will sms text your phone when you get a message (voice/text) and those sms texts are not free, they count against you.

Caindris

Reaction score
No problem. My first night with my phone I must of played with GVoice and the Droid for about 5 hours tweaking everything. Just take your time and take deep breaths and you'll be fine. It can be a bit daunting at first. Also the voice mail transcription is awesome.

bass_lover1

Reaction score
Make sure you go into GV on the web and change your settings so that it doesn't forward the text to your GV number to your phone.

OP
thelion

thelion

Reaction score
I don't actually use my GV at all yet. I am trying to decide how best to implement it. I am considering changing my VZW number because some little stalker man got his hands on it and now texts me NON stop. I think if I do, I will just give out the GV number to replace it with. Then I can actually really get into this.

I am so bad. I sign up for these Google features and NEVER use them. I have wave to and do you see me on there? Nope.

Caindris

Reaction score
with GVoice you can block numbers you don't want to receive so that's the great thing. Currently I'm trying to migrate everyone to my gvoice number and then it never matters if your devices phone number changes, people will never call it anyway.

Caindris

Reaction score
Press that, type your message, and it is sent through your GVoice number.
IIRC it's actually sent as data -- otherwise it would count as an SMS.

Quibbles. It's still showing up on the receiving end as your google voice number. Technically, yes, it is being sent over the 3G network and not the 1x voice stream.