Calling/Texting over 3G/Wifi

kwest12

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just wanted to ask what types of solutions are most successful for calling and texting using a 3G/wifi connection.

I'm going to Canada tomorrow and Verizon said that 3G is included in my plan but regular texting/calling is extra when out of the country.

I want to be able to make/receive calls from my friends in Canada with me AND be able to communicate with friends still in the states without any of us incurring further charges.

My assumption is that I will need to utilize apps that work with Google Voice. I don't believe the native GV app handles texts or calls itself though.

Can anyone give me some guidance? I've seen GrooVe IP mentioned for VOIP style calling with Google Voice (gchat?).

I've seen Kakaotalk mentioned for texting, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better solution. I want non-smartphone users to be able to text me too...

Any insight would be much appreciated! :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Skype works over wifi or 3G

"Stay classy Interwebz"

OP
kwest12

kwest12

Reaction score
Don't I have to pay for that though? The whole point of looking for one of these alternative solutions is to avoid per call and per text charges (or monthly charges).

xxwabbit

Reaction score
Seems like wifi would be free with Skype. I think Skype charges for text tho.

Sent from an old fart..da D1