Calling from Canada

arty2hottie

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if someone could help me or give the link of where to go. I dont even know what to search.

Im going to Canada this summer for work (from oregon) and was wondering if there is a way to be able to make calls without having to change my voice plan. I have an old one that is cheap and if I change it I will not be able to go back to it. I will be getting the international data so I can use my data in Canada. That is costing me an arm and a leg by the way but I have to have my email and data haha.

I have google voice which will help for text but I dont think it will help for making calls from Canada. You guys have any suggestions or do I have to change my plan? Thanks

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Get a cheap flip and a sim from a carrier up there....

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
do they have tracfone up there....
maybe use skype.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
By the way I have a droid. I will be in Victoria Canada.

What would buying a cheap flip and getting a sim do?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
By the way I have a droid. I will be in Victoria Canada.

What would buying a cheap flip and getting a sim do?

Make cheap calls with it and use your droid for data.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
If you have a data plan you can also setup your Google Voice account on Sipdroid using sipgate and sipsorcery to make free VoIP calls on any US number . You need a decent data signal for it to work , but it works great .

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
If you have a data plan you can also setup your Google Voice account on Sipdroid using sipgate and sipsorcery to make free VoIP calls on any US number . You need a decent data signal for it to work , but it works great .

Is there a thread that tells you how to do this?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
If you use your droid for data, make sure you are connected to WiFi. Roaming data charges in Canada ($2 per meg downloaded) are worse than the calling charges (consider a data roaming VoIP call would cost $2 a minute at @ 1 meg, whereas the international roaming costs 65 cents or something).

So the way to go is VoIP over free WiFi. Otherwise I'd suggest adding the Canada calling plan options - I think one is available for $20, some international calling plan add-on.

dvap00

Reaction score
VZW has a "Reduced International Dialing" option. May be worth looking into. It's an add-on to your account, take it off when you return.

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
VZW has a "Reduced International Dialing" option. May be worth looking into. It's an add-on to your account, take it off when you return.

Thanks I will definitely look into that.:i-m_so_happy:

OP
arty2hottie

arty2hottie

Reaction score
any idea how much this is or what it allows? I looked for it on verizonwireless.com but I couldnt find it.