Status
Not open for further replies.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Verizon changing data plan structure-2 year contracts gone Android News at HighOnAndroid.com

It seems the device payment plan strategy is taking over the US mobile industry. Everyone wondered if Verizon would ever make the full switch and drop two year contracts. That day is today. Verizon announced this morning that starting August 13 they will “simplify” their data structure into the following S-M-L-XL buckets:

Small: $30/month for 1GB of shareable dataMedium: $45/month for 3GB of shareable dataLarge: $60/month for 6GB of shareable dataX-Large: $80/month for 12GB of shareable data

Each smartphone will incur a $20 access charge, down from $40 for those on current 2 year agreements. Tablet and jetpack lines will be $10 a month, while connected devices such as smartwatches will still cost $5 a month. You can add more data each month at $15 per GB, or discuss options for a larger plan with your local Verizon store.

The biggest news here is that Verizon is officially killing off the 2 year contract option for all customers. If you are a new customer you will need to purchase your phone at full retail or use the device payment option. Current More Everything customers will be able to keep their current plan until their contract ends, then switch to the new structure if you desire a new smartphone on the EIP. It will be interesting to see how this works out for those of us with multi-line plans. Verizon says that if you are a current customer under 2 year agreement you can switch to the new plans but will continue paying $40 a month for smartphone access until your contract end date.

I personally have 5 smartphone lines with Verizon, so I’ll be doing some calculations to figure out how this will shake out for me. I have a few upgrades I was planning to use on some fall phone releases, but it looks like that option is now gone. It is curious that Verizon did not include any higher data plans in the pricing explicitly. We will continue to keep you updated on any extra information about what these changes mean for new or existing customers!

Source: Verizon News

Simplified Data Choices Match Customer Lifestyles

Tapped by NexusSix

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I too have 5 lines..4 that still have ud and one is a line just sitting and doing nothing..I don't see me changing anything..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Fore reference, here's what they're currently offering on the More Everything (outside the quotes).
Small: $30/month for 1GB of shareable dataMedium: $45/month for 3GB of shareable dataLarge: $60/month for 6GB of shareable dataX-Large: $80/month for 12GB of shareable data
$30=1GB, $40=2GB, $50=3GB, $60=4GB, $70=6GB, $80=10GB

So, you're getting a bit more data on some plans for less or equal money and the line access charges a smaller per phone. They must REALLY be making profit off of the device payment plans then...

mach330

Reaction score
one note that i'm curious about because I just got off the phone with vzw..

so one of my lines had finished it's edge program. vzw rep told me that the $25 discount I get from that phone that had the edge program, will stay on. So $40 - $25 = $15 per line still and i'm not paying for the device payment anymore. That's what she told me at least. I'll confirm on my next bill. I didn't think the discount would still be there after the phone is paid off . I'm bringing this up because the new $20 per line makes more sense than the $40 per line (if you had your own phone).

now my other line which I paid for the subsidized phone is still paying $40 so it might be worth while for me to change to this plan.

OP
bkdodger

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
one note that i'm curious about because I just got off the phone with vzw..

so one of my lines had finished it's edge program. vzw rep told me that the $25 discount I get from that phone that had the edge program, will stay on. So $40 - $25 = $15 per line still and i'm not paying for the device payment anymore. That's what she told me at least. I'll confirm on my next bill. I didn't think the discount would still be there after the phone is paid off . I'm bringing this up because the new $20 per line makes more sense than the $40 per line (if you had your own phone).

now my other line which I paid for the subsidized phone is still paying $40 so it might be worth while for me to change to this plan.

I too have 5 lines..4 that still have ud and one is a line just sitting and doing nothing..I don't see me changing anything..

Fore reference, here's what they're currently offering on the More Everything (outside the quotes).

$30=1GB, $40=2GB, $50=3GB, $60=4GB, $70=6GB, $80=10GB

So, you're getting a bit more data on some plans for less or equal money and the line access charges a smaller per phone. They must REALLY be making profit off of the device payment plans then...
I've added your posts here....

Verizon getting rid of contracts and making changes to data plans Aug 13 Android Forum at DroidForums.net
Verizon getting rid of contracts and making changes to data plans Aug 13

Tapped by NexusSix

Status
Not open for further replies.