"Verizon canceling contract for rooted phone" ?'s

kinfolk248

Reaction score
well...............ive taken my OG into VZW more than once with issues and both times they took the phone into the back did their thing and didnt say anything about my phones history or say anything about it had been rooting/rommed/OC/etc... i unrooted and flashed back to stock of course!

so idk, jus my two copper pieces...

Reaction score
never heard such a rumor in my life, and definitely has to be one of the dumbest cell phone rumors i've heard in my life. of course they'll tell you to buy another phone at full price if they find out you root bricked it, as they've been doing since the dawn of android. duh. :icon_eek:

if it were true, people would be rooting their phones all over the place to get out of the contract. not sure what the OP is trying to accomplish? maybe start this nonsensical rumor?

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
never heard such a rumor in my life, and definitely has to be one of the dumbest cell phone rumors i've heard in my life. of course they'll tell you to buy another phone at full price if they find out you root bricked it, as they've been doing since the dawn of android. duh. :icon_eek:

if it were true, people would be rooting their phones all over the place to get out of the contract. not sure what the OP is trying to accomplish? maybe start this nonsensical rumor?

I've heard people talking about this rumor before quite a few times, and there is a section in the Verizon terms of service about modifying your device could result in contact termination of said contract.

And please try to keep replies friendly and refrain from any type of trolling, flaming or just generally bashing people or threads, it's counterproductive and usually only results in more trolling and other unnecessary negative comments.
Just remember the old saying "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

Sent via Swype from my ics Droid 1 with deprimed kernel and custom tweaks

captdroid

Reaction score
Right Code blue... rofl...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Reaction score
I've heard people talking about this rumor before quite a few times, and there is a section in the Verizon terms of service about modifying your device could result in contact termination of said contract.

And please try to keep replies friendly and refrain from any type of trolling, flaming or just generally bashing people or threads, it's counterproductive and usually only results in more trolling and other unnecessary negative comments.
Just remember the old saying "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

Sent via Swype from my ics Droid 1 with deprimed kernel and custom tweaks

well if youve heard it, i guess its true! loose the mod complex bro.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
well if youve heard it, i guess its true! loose the mod complex bro.

i just prefer if we can all keep things nice and friendly around here, i've seen too many good threads get ruined by one or 2 posts bashing on other members, besides, comments are taken into more consideration when said in a nice way, otherwise you just end up with a who can bash the other more contest

Reaction score
i just prefer if we can all keep things nice and friendly around here, i've seen too many good threads get ruined by one or 2 posts bashing on other members, besides, comments are taken into more consideration when said in a nice way, otherwise you just end up with a who can bash the other more contest

i hear ya. i just went with my first reaction to reading such a nonsensical rumor :D

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
Right Code blue... rofl...

Listen, sorry if it sounds far fetched guys. Only reporting what I was told. Would never have stuck it on here if it didn't come from someone I trust. The things that make sense are this: VZ techs obviously have computers to flash your phone. I can attest to that when I had to bring my HTC Eris in a hundred times and watched them tether my phone behind the counter to a computer to flash it. They obviously aren't using RSD lite to do that but rather some program designed by Verizon for Verizon. Code blue, code pink, davinci code whatever. There is obviously a program named something that they use. The question is whether or not they can see the history or root access. It's not far fetched at all when you think about it. Your phone is basically a hard drive. No matter how much you want to format a hard drive on a computer to erase files, it's not very hard to bring all of those files back with the proper software. If you think i'm lying go to Best buy and ask them how much they charge to do it. I almost had a heart attack, so I did it myself when my kid accidentally formatted my hard drive instead of his thumb drive. Anyway...a phone is no different. It's still a hard drive and i'm sure a program can be built to recover data. The question is whether or not Verizon has software of this capability. According to my cousin they do. That's all i'm saying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Listen, sorry if it sounds far fetched guys. Only reporting what I was told. Would never have stuck it on here if it didn't come from someone I trust. The things that make sense are this: VZ techs obviously have computers to flash your phone. I can attest to that when I had to bring my HTC Eris in a hundred times and watched them tether my phone behind the counter to a computer to flash it. They obviously aren't using RSD lite to do that but rather some program designed by Verizon for Verizon. Code blue, code pink, davinci code whatever. There is obviously a program named something that they use. The question is whether or not they can see the history or root access. It's not far fetched at all when you think about it. Your phone is basically a hard drive. No matter how much you want to format a hard drive on a computer to erase files, it's not very hard to bring all of those files back with the proper software. If you think i'm lying go to Best buy and ask them how much they charge to do it. I almost had a heart attack, so I did it myself when my kid accidentally formatted my hard drive instead of his thumb drive. Anyway...a phone is no different. It's still a hard drive and i'm sure a program can be built to recover data. The question is whether or not Verizon has software of this capability. According to my cousin they do. That's all i'm saying.

as far as i know, if you flash anything via a recovery, they can tell (probably stored in the bootloader partition), however doing an sbf i dont think they can because im pretty sure it also reflashes the bootloader and essentially everything and erases any info that was stored anywhere

captdroid

Reaction score
So now you are suggesting Verizon is doing some kind of media forensics on deleted data?! Man this just gets more ... ah never mind... lol

OP
cthebadge38

cthebadge38

Reaction score
So now you are suggesting Verizon is doing some kind of media forensics on deleted data?! Man this just gets more ... ah never mind... lol

Not at all. Just saying if they make a program that can recover deleted data, why is it so hard to believe they can pull up your history? If you would have read my first post on here, he told me that if you format and flash your phone they can't tell. It's when you bring a bricked phone in that you can't format or flash that they can get this error code with their computer to find out what you did to it. Do people just start on the last page of these threads and start commenting or what? Lol

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not at all. Just saying if they make a program that can recover deleted data, why is it so hard to believe they can pull up your history? If you would have read my first post on here, he told me that if you format and flash your phone they can't tell. It's when you bring a bricked phone in that you can't format or flash that they can get this error code with their computer to find out what you did to it. Do people just start on the last page of these threads and start commenting or what? Lol

like i said, it's probably in the bootloader which is basically never formatted and reflashed unless you do an sbf back to stock, you can flash a recovery, and you can flash a rom, but how many flash bootloaders?

captdroid

Reaction score
I suppose this comes down to the term bricked and what exactly you mean. Because if the phone is really bricked then neither me nor Verizon is doing any reading of logs short of media forensics that is... lol

captdroid

Reaction score
At least what I just said is true on a device that is completely unlocked. E.g. a d1, gnex

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9

From my experience here, that's pretty much what happens. It seems very few people actually read the whole article and only post comments regarding things from the most recent comments. Personally, I believe that Big Red has all the capabilities of finding out what you do to your phone. Especially when they have it in their hands.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid