Food For thought on rooting.

pthance

Reaction score
So a friend of mine thought he bricked his Samsung Fascinate, I told him he didn't and we could get it working but he was tired of trying and failing and didn't really see much value in me tinkering with it if he could get it replaced. Situation goes like this, he calls Verizon from his house-line (I was actually in the room with it on SpeakerPhone to listen in) and is convinced he can get a warranty replacement if he plays dumb and says the neighbor-kid was going to fix his wifi issues (he was having issues staying connected to any wifi network). He explained to the tech rep that when his neighbor returned the phone it was in the "bricked" state that he had gotten it. He played dumb and kept saying his neighbor told him it was "booted" but a brick and Verizon probably wouldn't take it back, what he meant was rooted obviously.

The Verizon tech went on to ask some questions and said that he was going to annotate on his account that the phone was being sent back in a rooted state and that they were going to overnight him a new phone. The rep said that Verizon doesn't care about it being rooted and would just reload the stock OS when they got it back. He said since he was dealing with the Verizon warranty and not the Manufacturers, or his insurance provider not to worry because, "Verizon doesn't care if you root your phone."

I'm not saying that the rep didn't just kinda hook him up on the side, but to me this says a lot. *Cough* *Cough* P3 Conspiracy theories be damned. I just thought I would share with everyone and let people make their own decisions about root, and how the phone companies treat it. Lets not make this a flame thread, lets take it for information to the big puzzle about rooting and carrier policies.

Reaction score
So a friend of mine thought he bricked his Samsung Fascinate, I told him he didn't and we could get it working but he was tired of trying and failing and didn't really see much value in me tinkering with it if he could get it replaced. Situation goes like this, he calls Verizon from his house-line (I was actually in the room with it on SpeakerPhone to listen in) and is convinced he can get a warranty replacement if he plays dumb and says the neighbor-kid was going to fix his wifi issues (he was having issues staying connected to any wifi network). He explained to the tech rep that when his neighbor returned the phone it was in the "bricked" state that he had gotten it. He played dumb and kept saying his neighbor told him it was "booted" but a brick and Verizon probably wouldn't take it back, what he meant was rooted obviously.

The Verizon tech went on to ask some questions and said that he was going to annotate on his account that the phone was being sent back in a rooted state and that they were going to overnight him a new phone. The rep said that Verizon doesn't care about it being rooted and would just reload the stock OS when they got it back. He said since he was dealing with the Verizon warranty and not the Manufacturers, or his insurance provider not to worry because, "Verizon doesn't care if you root your phone."

I'm not saying that the rep didn't just kinda hook him up on the side, but to me this says a lot. *Cough* *Cough* P3 Conspiracy theories be damned. I just thought I would share with everyone and let people make their own decisions about root, and how the phone companies treat it. Lets not make this a flame thread, lets take it for information to the big puzzle about rooting and carrier policies.

I don't think that's the carrier policy. If you root or load a custom rom, it does void your warranty. The guy either is uninformed, or felt like being nice by letting you off the hook.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Reaction score
and... just because the rep (guy at a desk taking RMA's for 15 different companies) says a new phone is on the way, it doesn't mean it is. The guy you spoke with fills out a web page and submits it to Verizon as sort of a claim. Verizon then decides what to do. Don't be surprised if the new phone doesn't show up in few days.

wil318466

Reaction score
Complete and total waste of time. Both this post and what your friend did.

Reflashing a Fascinate is literally a joke it's so easy. Download files, ODIN flash back to stock. It could have been done within 20 minutes, including download time, instead of waiting for something overnight.