"Verizon canceling contract for rooted phone" ?'s

jhom

Reaction score
I'm curious. How is Verizon handling cases where the phone manufacturer allows unlocked phones?

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Personally, I appreciate you sharing this... I could surely understand why a vendor gets tired of supporting things that end-users break in the interest of trying to make the phone do something different from what it does with the standard load. Still, I love Android because it's fun to hack around in. If they decide to lock things down, we'll just have to find other things to amuse us :icon_ devil: . It's all good. I trust your information as much as anyone else's out here!

PS> I have a tshirt that says "Voids Warranties".... my life story

Reaction score
I get that rooting voids warranty and you would think carriers had a way to figure that out but in my experience they don't...or just don't care enough.

Example 1. Picked up Bionic on release day, rooted it, changed boot logo and everything, decided it wasn't the phone for me and wanted to wait for RAZR. Took it back within 14 days and they didn't even notice that I forgot to change the boot screen back. It still booted up with Barry Sanders! Oh, and I scraped the Verizon logo off the phone. Returned with no issues.

Example 2...Got RAZR, rooted and seriously jacked it up....deleted all system files while in root explorer...don't ask.....phone was fully bricked. Took it in and said it wouldnt load up. They never asked any questions, they went into flash mode using power and volume buttons, couldn't fix it, I had a replacement sent overnight. Now, luckily, the fxz files were leaked a few days later so I just flashed that on my bricked phone and all is good so I sent the replacement back.

Bottom line, I have never had an issue with any returned phone even though I obviously rooted it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I heard every time you root a phone, Jesus kills a kitten.......

I've heard every time you root a phone the executives at Google dance and have a shot of whiskey and Jesus cries out of sheer happiness and all the all of the angels sing and 100 baby geniuses are born lol

Sent via Swype from my ics Droid 1 with deprimed kernel and custom tweaks

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am wondering when their software will be leaked..

Really surprised it hasn't found its way on to our PC's yet!

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
. . .
A bricked phone is a bricked phone. Some tech isn't going to be able to do anything to prove that you messed with it.

Not entirely true.

Hi, I'm a former OG owner. I'm a former Bricked OG owner. Want to know the best part? VERIZON fixed it up for me - but probably because I had a rare scenario. In case you're wondering, it's possible to become bricked without being rooted. I believe it was the 2.2.1 update, I received the OTA, it downloaded it, installed it, went into reboot, showed the Motorola 'M'...'M'...'M'...*one school day later*...'M'. It was bricked by an OTA. I took it into Verizon, told them what happened, they told me to come back in about 2 hours, and they gave me my exact phone back, unbricked - and with 2.2.1.

Verizon can do some stuff (not a diss), they can clean up their own messes, they just don't want to go digging through your mess to get you out of something you did yourself when you knew the risks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not entirely true.

Hi, I'm a former OG owner. I'm a former Bricked OG owner. Want to know the best part? VERIZON fixed it up for me - but probably because I had a rare scenario. In case you're wondering, it's possible to become bricked without being rooted. I believe it was the 2.2.1 update, I received the OTA, it downloaded it, installed it, went into reboot, showed the Motorola 'M'...'M'...'M'...*one school day later*...'M'. It was bricked by an OTA. I took it into Verizon, told them what happened, they told me to come back in about 2 hours, and they gave me my exact phone back, unbricked - and with 2.2.1.

Verizon can do some stuff (not a diss), they can clean up their own messes, they just don't want to go digging through your mess to get you out of something you did yourself when you knew the risks.

it all depends on your definition of bricked though, technically bricked means that it wont boot at all (no bootanimation, no recovery, no M logo, just a phone that will not even turn on). in this case its basically impossible to fix, even an sbf wont work because the bootloader usually wont even come up

hAHAha Halo

Reaction score
Metalspring,
I don't feel like quoting you. The post would get too long.

Yes, I looked it up after I posted that. The definition of Bricked changes between people and is used loosely, a Bricked phone in my opinion is a phone that cannot be fixed by any simple or moderately difficult solution. And I guess if you gave a bricked phone that won't even turn on to somebody who has the highest knowledge of coding and hardware and software and technology, they could probably bring it back into working order. My situation wasn't as extreme, my phone could power on at least, so using a computer with the right tools and software and programs, it was probably a simple fix.

As for people with bricked phones that don't even turn on: yeah they kinda deserved that. There's no way in Narnia that Verizon will give you a free replacement for leaving their store with a $200 phone and coming back with a brick as useful as an iPhone. And there's no way they're going to try to get all those tools and equipment to bring the flat-out bricked phones back to life.

Reaction score
Actually, the reason Verizon could care less is because they don't have to fix anything. If you bring a phone in during your exchange period, they give you a new phone and your returned phone goes back to the manufacturer.

If you are beyond your exchange period, you get a replacement directly from the warranty shipping center and you send them your old one.

Why should the local Verizon rep care what you did or did not do? Our course, I am only speaking based on what I have seen with my local reps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is possible to get a completely bricked phone without rooting, although it's probably not very likely...I've heard of some phones for whatever reason had a tendency to heat up (cell radio or processor) and if you didn't have it on you for awhile it could heat up enough to melt/damage an important internal component...just an fyi

Sent via Swype from my ics Droid 1 with deprimed kernel and custom tweaks