Verizon/Asurion Replacement Policy and options

gsdreams

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of confusion over this on the forums so I thought I would post this so people can understand what happens when a phone has a problem.

To begin with all phones have a 1 Year Warranty. If purchased through a direct or authorized indirect the phone will show on VZW's system that it has said warranty.

When a phone is under warranty, per the manufacturers, VZW will replace it with a certified like new replacement. This a phone the manufacturer has refurbished and then Verizon has tested to make sure it functions. Unfortunately this system isn't perfect and some fall through the cracks, but from experience and doing tech support 90% of these phones are good and will last a long time.

If a phone is being replaced under any kind of warranty and a replacement phone of the same model or like model (I.E. Droid 2 to Droid 2 Global) is not available an automatic Substitution occurs. Either the SKU will auto-populate on the VZW System or it will give a list of phones that the customer can choose from that are "Like" the phone they are replacing.

In rare cases, depending on customers history with VZW, lenght of time with VZW, etc... a different phone can be exchanged. This requires approval and everything has to be in perfect order, including the customers acct, or it will not occur.

For Asurion (insurance) the phone must be Lost, Stolen, Physically damaged, or Water Damaged. If the phone does not fall into one of these categories 99% of the time Asurion will not replace it, even outside of warranty. When Asurion replaces a phone it is there decision of what they replace it with, which depends on there stock and availability (not VZW's).

Now, there are three options you can add to your phone (unless you are in Florida then you only get Insurance).

TEC - Total Equipment Coverage - this is both an extended warranty and insurance. Why is this important? Your phone has a 1 year manufacturer warranty. With TEC your phone is "ALWAYS" under warranty as long as TEC remains on the line. As long as TEC is on the line you can also switch to CPE (Customer Provided Equipment) and have a phone that is under warranty (TEC is per line, not phone).

TEC also includes insurance for Lost/Stolen/Physically Damaged/Water Damaged phones.

TEC Cost - $6.99/month

Extended Warranty - This gives you the extended warranty on the line. I believe it is Per Line not phone, like TEC, but don't quote me on that. Extended warranty gives you a warranty past the original manufactuer warranty.

Extended Warranty Cost - $1.99/month

Insurance - As stated above only covers Lost/Stolen/Physicall Damaged/Water Damaged phones

Asurion Cost - $5.18/month

Asurion will refer people back to Verizon if they feel it is a warranty issue and not insurance. This includes if the phone is outside of warranty.

Also, you have 2 more days to add insurance or TEC to "ANY" line as long as you bring the phone in to VZW Store to see if it has any damage.

And for those smartalics who will ask what happens if a phone is 1 day old or a week old. Under Verizons return/exchange policy it will be replaced with a new phone. If purchased from an authorized Indirect Verizon will refer you to the indirect to get a new phone.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of confusion over this on the forums so I thought I would post this so people can understand what happens when a phone has a problem.
All this info is already out there. I guess it's too much to expect people to refer to their carrier's and their insurer's web sites...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
All this info is already out there. I guess it's too much to expect people to refer to their carrier's and their insurer's web sites...

Or read what they sign for.....

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score
Yes it is out there, but a lot of people on here seemed to have misunderstandings about it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score

Actually that wouldn't help because policies changed on April 1st again.

xan

Reaction score

You mean you dont call VRZ weekly and ask whats changed in the contract.....? Gasp.

I thought Asurion was more than 5.18$

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score

You mean you dont call VRZ weekly and ask whats changed in the contract.....? Gasp.

I thought Asurion was more than 5.18$

Policy changed. Asurion alone for everything, except the iphone, tablets, and netbooks, is $5.18 and TEC is $6.99. For the iphone, tablets, and netbooks TEC is $10.99. I think Asurion only is either $7 or $8, but not positive as I would have to look at the policy again.

Also, if a phone is abused, misused, neglected, or has excessive wear and tear Verizon will now charge the customer $299.00 for smartphones if it is received in one of those conditions back to the warehouse when the customer has received a warranty replacement. For feature phones and internet equipment (such as mobile hotspots, usb modems, etc...) the customer will get charged $99.

When a phone is replaced under warranty it either carries the remainder of the manufacturer warranty or a 90 day warranty. TEC is per line, not phone, so as long as it remains on a line the phone is still under warranty.

Asurion phones include a 1 Year Warranty that has to be handled through asurion.

xan

Reaction score
yeah I notice warranty return only gives you five days to send back the defective unit instead of 10.

and now they really read you the riot act on the abuse/misuse clause.

Now where do I get to stipulate that VRZ needs to provide me with actual service AND a working handset with fair data pricing?

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score
yeah I notice warranty return only gives you five days to send back the defective unit instead of 10.

and now they really read you the riot act on the abuse/misuse clause.

Now where do I get to stipulate that VRZ needs to provide me with actual service AND a working handset with fair data pricing?

The reason for the riot act is because Verizon got tired of receiving warranty phones back with broken screens, damaged casings, etc... Phones in that condition will not be warrantied by the manufacturers. As it used to sit Verizon had no recourse against things like this because it did not read that they could be charged for it.

I'm not sure why the change to have to have it shipped back by day 5. Personally I don't see it makes any difference.

As for Data Pricing I think $29.95/unlimited is a good deal personally, compared to other companies (other than maybe sprint, but I don't like there service in my area).

As for handset issues don't know what to tell you. I had a speaker issue on my original d2 at about day 40, CLNR had a touchscreen issue, second CLNR lasted me almost 6 months before it had a camera issue. Now I just got a d2g.

Personally I know I am hard on phones, although you wouldn't be able to tell by the casing. I don't have any other phone, I spend a lot of time on the phone, I tend to take a ton of pictures (I have a 3 year old son), and I use my phone more than my laptop.

Personally I don't think these phones were expected to be used as much as some of us do use them.

xan

Reaction score
the $30 is fair, but i fail to see how paying half that amount should only get you a measly 1/25 of the bandwidth.

I sure hope the new riot act will stop customers from getting damaged phones as refurbs....like i did. twice.

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score
the $30 is fair, but i fail to see how paying half that amount should only get you a measly 1/25 of the bandwidth.

I sure hope the new riot act will stop customers from getting damaged phones as refurbs....like i did. twice.

The grandfathered $15.00 plan (can't get it anymore) was primarily aimed at Blackberry users. VZW did see a fair amount of people using under the 150MB so they offered it for a limited time. You can no longer get it and for Smartphones there is only the one data package now.

The only purpose to the $15.00 plan was to keep users who didn't use the internet much, but had smartphones, as customers or to move them into smartphones.

I think it worked for Blackberrys but on droid phones I know it was a failure.

OP
G

gsdreams

Reaction score

Oh, regarding the damaged phones as refurbs, we can hope, but I know that is more of a phone manufacturer thing than a VZW thing. VZW receives the same refurbished phones that every other carrier receives. I know that VZW tests the phones, but I think they just use a piece of equipment, plug it in, and let it spit out results (not the same as physically testing it).

If you are getting multiple bad refurbished phones one option is to call Motorola directly and see what they will do.

S

SingingSabre

Oh, regarding the damaged phones as refurbs, we can hope, but I know that is more of a phone manufacturer thing than a VZW thing. VZW receives the same refurbished phones that every other carrier receives. I know that VZW tests the phones, but I think they just use a piece of equipment, plug it in, and let it spit out results (not the same as physically testing it).

If you are getting multiple bad refurbished phones one option is to call Motorola directly and see what they will do.

That tip about calling Motorola directly is a great one.

I can't blame VZW for just plugging in and testing the refurbs. It's a lot of man-power to go through each phone and test their features independently. I imagine the overhead for hiring people to test them would raise rates. When I was with Alltel I received no less than 5 poor quality refurbished phones in a month. I know the frustrations of getting one of those quite well.

The whole give and take of the wireless world is interesting. What do you want and what are you willing to bend on seems to be the model.

xan

Reaction score
That tip about calling Motorola directly is a great one.

yeah if #5 has issues, I will try the moto route for sure. thanks.