Verizon 4G phone with physical keyboard rumor, Merge??

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Gathered a few interesting tweets about a 4G phone with a physical keyboard. Maybe the Merge????

black_man_x email at 3am asking why the LG device has bing... you know we weren't going to let EVERYTHING go with bingin it out..not the only one coming

@black_man_x would the other one coming happen to have a physical keyboard?

@Richman1975 there is a device with a keyboard yes..

@black_man_x has the Merge been scraped?

@Penguins_4me the merge in the form it was yes.. in a new form? It will return

@black_man_x do you think it'll be released this month?

@Penguins_4me no.. earliest u can hope is mid feb/early march

What do you guys think???

jim1969

Reaction score
missed their window. The G2 and the Evo Shift already out. Once the iPhone gets released on VZW no one will care about the physical keyboard.

OP
jeffrich21

jeffrich21

Reaction score
I know for myself, I could give a rats ass about the iphone. And myself and many others want a physical keyboard.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Jeyman

Reaction score
I know for myself, I could give a rats ass about the iphone. And myself and many others want a physical keyboard.

I cant take on screen keyboards. Im with you in this boat lol. Its the real main reason I have stuck with my moto droid so long(other reasons too) Iphone/droidx/evo. None of them are worth the lose of my physical keyboard. I do use the on screen for text mes's and such, but I always find myself hitting up the physical one all the time.

JKingDev

Reaction score
I fully expected the merge to be announced at CES. I guess it is just still not ready. Rumors were it were pulled to add LTE. If it wont be ready till feb/march perhaps they are also adding a dual core and/or gingerbread.

At any rate this is BAD for me. I just dropped my nexus and cracked the screen today. :( I need a new phone now! I may end up getting something now and selling it when the merge comes out.

JKingDev

Reaction score
Gathered a few interesting tweets about a 4G phone with a physical keyboard. Maybe the Merge????

black_man_x email at 3am asking why the LG device has bing... you know we weren't going to let EVERYTHING go with bingin it out..not the only one coming

@black_man_x would the other one coming happen to have a physical keyboard?

@black_man_x do you think it'll be released this month?

@Penguins_4me no.. earliest u can hope is mid feb/early march

What do you guys think???
Also who are these tweets from? Who are Penguins_4me, black_man_x, ect? Any particular reason to believe there is credibility there?

OP
jeffrich21

jeffrich21

Reaction score
Blackmanx is from I can gather and from what I've heard on here is a verizon tester or something to that effect. The other people are just asking him questions. I was one of them asking questions on twitter.

JKingDev

Reaction score
Blackmanx is from I can gather and from what I've heard on here is a verizon tester or something to that effect. The other people are just asking him questions. I was one of them asking questions on twitter.

I see. Well looks like I have more waiting to do. I am inclined to believe it though.

beargold23

Reaction score
Yes i will be waiting patiently for a phone (hopefully Merge), or something with physical keyboard, my OG droid is still working well. Once it does come out though ill prolly go ahead a buy it full retail, eventhough i use my annual upgrade, with VZW changing there upgrade policies, and do 1yr contracts from now on.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, we may have to wait until June or later, but AT&T is rolling out 12 new Android handsets this year and I'm sure VZW will do at least that many. And we saw, what, 4 from CES?

Seems a lot of people still want physical keyboards. I'd expect someone to step-up to fill that void with a nice phone.

AlexSB

Reaction score
That's how I used to feel about physical keyboards, from my days back with the Pantech Duo to my now D2 I always felt like I needed a physical keyboard until I actually used the on screen keyboard. The D2's on-screen keyboard could be better, but I'm finding less and less reasons for me to slide open the phone to type.

JKingDev

Reaction score
That's how I used to feel about physical keyboards, from my days back with the Pantech Duo to my now D2 I always felt like I needed a physical keyboard until I actually used the on screen keyboard. The D2's on-screen keyboard could be better, but I'm finding less and less reasons for me to slide open the phone to type.
Thats odd. The longer I use my nexus one the more the wait for the HTC merge kills me. :p Even using swype is getting more and more tiresome.

So another wait to go. Heres hoping for news at MWC (Feb 14-17). CES is traditionally not for mobile news anyway. I am sure the merge will appear there. As sure I was that it would appear at CES. Lets hope I am not equally wrong.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Once the iPhone gets released on VZW no one will care about the physical keyboard.

I really, really wish the Fruit would stop being mentioned in every goddamn thread.

And as for the merge, it did look like a sweet phone. I have a nagging suspicion that what our dear friend on twitter means is that the Merge has not been scrapped, but simply has been modified to add 4G, and possibly a few other frills. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I chose the Droid over the Droid X / Droid 2 because of the physical keyboard (amongst other reasons). I use it for longer emails and texts. Swype is great for short replies. A physical keyboard is pretty high up on my requirements list when it's time to upgrade.