using upgrade while grandfathered

Bishang

Reaction score
To be safe, activate it on her line first.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
Bishang said:
To be safe, activate it on her line first.

I will thanks.
I'm gonna try this tomorrow! Omg i do hope it works correctly. After how long can i stick my Sim card inside and have it working?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
jwilly216 said:
also- do i have to activate the s3 on my moms line and then switch her back to her old phone or could i just never even have it activated on her line & then just stick in my Sim????
Thanks friends

Yes, Verizon was very specific with me that it must be first activated on the tiered line, that will then renew her contract for two years and then after it has been activated on her line and it activates her new contract, then it can be switched to any line without renewing or changing the contract.

Sent from my AT100 using Droid Forums

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
jwilly216 said:
I will thanks.
I'm gonna try this tomorrow! Omg i do hope it works correctly. After how long can i stick my Sim card inside and have it working?

It's immediate. I switch between my Bionic and a Rezound quite a bit and all I do is swap the sim card. I never had any problems.

Bishang

Reaction score
It's immediate. I switch between my Bionic and a Rezound quite a bit and all I do is swap the sim card. I never had any problems.

That's because all you're doing is switching between phones on your line. He would need a micro SIM to already be activated on their line for that to happen. But they would still needed to activate the phone on their mom's line first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

elitecmdr666

Reaction score
glad i saw this cause i was going to ask the same thing, right now i have 5 device 3 which are on hold cause the bill is crazy overpriced and well i dont know what to do, does not help im disabled and on a limited income so i struggle just to keep this bill up hence i frooze 3 account. im due for upgrade but have not done so cause i know that no matter what i will lose my unlimited data, which to me makes no sense in sharing a pool of data at vzw crazy prices. i been with vzw since i came back from iraq and i admit by far the best service i can get has been with them. but now i just dont know what to do no more...and i just dont know whats important having a sg3 4g lte with just 2g to share which is what i can afford know that with the lte speed will be faster and better im just going to use more date and then get overages or just jumping ship to tmobile to where i would pay way less that what im paying now with vzw. not to mention all my issues in the past with lock bootloaders does not make me that much happy to include sg3. im just lost at this point and well have talked to many people and they just dont care about tech, data or phones...any input is welcomed thanks in advance...

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Only adding this as a question because I don't know....

Doesn't Verizon technically own the phone for the contract time because it is subsidized? I could see his mom being able to switch phones because she "owns" one of them, but wouldn't the system recognize the new phone on his line that he hasn't renewed and not allow it since technically it has not been paid for in full until the contract has been fulfilled? Isn't this the reason to pay full price for the phone?

kijutsu

Reaction score
I bought a phone off eBay that required a microSIM my bionic had the large one. I went up to the VZW store and they just gave me a micro no charge and no change in plan. Hope this helps.

I did a similar thing with my Xoom tablet. I had an OG GalaxyTab that was losing its mind, so I bought a Xoom off Swappa, took it up to a VZW Direct store, they installed a new sim and activated it on my 3gig plan from some two years ago without any contract changes.

in short.. .3g to 4g data plan without contract changes.

Bishang

Reaction score
Only adding this as a question because I don't know....

Doesn't Verizon technically own the phone for the contract time because it is subsidized? I could see his mom being able to switch phones because she "owns" one of them, but wouldn't the system recognize the new phone on his line that he hasn't renewed and not allow it since technically it has not been paid for in full until the contract has been fulfilled? Isn't this the reason to pay full price for the phone?

Nope. Never heard that before.

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
I'm at Verizon. I came in and asked to get a micro Sim for a RAZR i got on craigslist so i would have it without them knowing i was gonna switch it into the s3 but they said they can't just give you a Sim card they have to activate it to a phone so now I'm waiting to see if they can do the upgrade on my ma's line and then give me a micro Sim for the s3
...all without losing my unlimited data

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh, they are so full of it. They don't need to activate it for you. All you need to tell them is you need a sim card because you would like to activate a phone you will be putting on your line, that you are capable of doing the activation yourself, and that rather than having to make another separate trip into Verizon, you want to be able to activate it as soon as able. You could even let them know that you plan to move the phone from your mom's line to yours and that is within their policies.

Myself, I have no problem telling them politely what my plans are... it gives me an opportunity to explain that I plan to do everything I can to maintain my unlimited.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Oh, they are so full of it. They don't need to activate it for you. All you need to tell them is you need a sim card because you would like to activate a phone you will be putting on your line, that you are capable of doing the activation yourself, and that rather than having to make another separate trip into Verizon, you want to be able to activate it as soon as able. You could even let them know that you plan to move the phone from your mom's line to yours and that is within their policies.

Myself, I have no problem telling them politely what my plans are... it gives me an opportunity to explain that I plan to do everything I can to maintain my unlimited.

She looked at me like i was stupid and laughed n was like haha we can't just HAND you a Sim! You have to bring in the phone.
Then i waited there for over a half hour and was never assisted so i just left. I'm gonna try to find another store nearby cause those people are dumb. All i wanna do is spend a few hundred bucks ni can't get them to take my money

Beka27

Reaction score
Why don't you just order the phone online, activate it on your mother's line, unactivate it, and then put it on yours?

BKiv

Reaction score
The last time I did that they said it had to be on the first phone number for three days.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
BKiv said:
The last time I did that they said it had to be on the first phone number for three days.

Yeah, they told me that the contract on the line should be immediately updated as soon as the phone is activated on that line but that I could check my account online to make doubly sure that the contract was updated on the tiered line before switching the phone.