Upgrading to Droid..

scubasteve101

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade to the Droid from an Env Touch and I've got a few quick questions.

1.) What are the Droid's major faults?...freeze a lot, bad touch screen etc...

2.) How are the apps? Is there a lot pirated apps or is this even possible?

3.) I know how Verizon loves to limit our phone's abilities...is there anything big they did to the Droid?

4.) How is the battery life? Does streaming youtube or radio kill it very quickly like it does my Env Touch?

Anything else you think I should know? Upping my plan to $29.99 more a month is big to me, I want to make sure it is worth it.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade to the Droid from an Env Touch and I've got a few quick questions.

3.) I know how Verizon loves to limit our phone's abilities...is there anything big they did to the Droid?

4.) How is the battery life? Does streaming youtube or radio kill it very quickly like it does my Env Touch?

Anything else you think I should know? Upping my plan to $29.99 more a month is big to me, I want to make sure it is worth it.
1. Major faults? Nothing major..
2. Talking about pirated apps is not allowed on this forum. There are good apps on the market.
3. No
4. Battery life is alright..streaming youtube for 2-3 hours will kill the battery.

You should know that the HTC Incredible is coming to Verizon in about two weeks, and if you don't need a physical keyboard, you definately want to wait for that.

OP
S

scubasteve101

Reaction score
Interesting. I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the input... more is definitely welcome.

bomber889

Reaction score
1) Nothing really major. Only thing for me is battery life.
2) The apps are really good, there are pirated apps but I don't personally use them.
3) I don't think you can root on the latest 2.1 update but other than that, it's fine.
4) Not sure, but I think it would.
It is definately worth it

OP
S

scubasteve101

Reaction score
Here's another question...

What can the Droid not do that you wish it could?...or expected it to be able to do?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wish I could buy/rent movies like you can on the iPod touch/iPhone..and FM radio

iPirate

Reaction score
Pirated apps? I havent found a reason to pay for an app yet and havent even thought of pirating them lol

Droid is awesome

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The general complaint is the camera, but it works fine for me.

You can get an extended battery which increases the length of time you can do things.

bacalao

Reaction score
1. Minor things that have solutions or just require getting used to (like the keyboard or pushing power button). I suggest always check the market, it is like many of the functions of the phone are "privatized" (either don't exist or can be done better with an app.)

2. Don't even need pirated software, so many good free apps in the market. I wouldn't know about pirates software nor is this the place to talk about it. There are perk programs available to rooted users that you can't get on stock, wireless tether for example (allows you to connect your computer to your phone through wifi.)

3. Verizon took a step back with their 'enhancements'. And Verizon just put out a couple new commercials showing that they are still very behind the Droid.

4. Battery life on powerful touch screen devices will always seem too short. There are extra batteries you can buy and ways to improve the battery life. Remember the screen is huge and awesome, and that requires some juice!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yodes

Reaction score
Only thing it can't do currently but hope will be available soon is the ability to play flash. Other than that Droid does!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

1. There aren't really any faults with the Droid. Different people complain about different things depending on what bothers them. It's all personal opinion

2. Basically, even though its frowned upon, you don't necessarily have to pay for any apps.

3. Verizon doesn't limit the phone to a great extent, but there are several things you can do to the Droid to make it more enjoyable (rooting, overclocking, etc.)

4. Compared to my sisters iPhone, the Droids battery is outstanding...I rarely have to charge it at all throughout the day, mostly just when I'm sleeping.

Lastly, when it comes to the incredible...

Several reviews have already surfaced and honestly, I haven't been nearly as impressed as I thought I'd be. Several features of the phone ended up being left out and every review I've read says that its almost identical to the nexus one, which has its own share of problems. If your at all interested in overclocking, as of now, the Droid can be overclocked to 1.3 ghz and neither the nexus or the incredible can match that. The best thing to do is research thoroughly to find whatever phone you decide to go with. And even if your unhappy with what you choose, you geta 30 day period to try it out. Good luck!