Thinking of Upgrading to a Droid

syxxpakc

Reaction score
I have a few questions for anyone willing to tackle them. Back in July my old phone of 4 years died and I needed a new phone. I went to Verizon and used my NE2 and a new contract to get the enV Touch. However, I'm on my father's plan and have been for the last ten years. I meant to sign up for my own account but didn't think of it at the time because I just needed a new phone and really wasn't thinking ahead. Anyway my plan is the 450 minute plan ($39.99) with 250 text messages ($4.99). My father's line is the primary line.

My question is, is there anything I can do to keep from paying the $599 retail for the Droid. I hate my enV Touch and feel like I was lied to by Verizon (1,000s of apps... more like 30). I've heard something like I could add a new line maybe for an extra $10 a month, but I'm not sure if I fully understand or if that is even possible. I understand I will definately have to get the Data Package for an additional $30.00 which is fine with me. I just don't want to get a Data Package for the enV Touch.

Also, is there a way I can move my line off my father's account and have it as my own?

Droids

Reaction score
I was only about one year into my two year Verizon contract (using a Moto W755) when I switched to the Droid. They waived the upgrade fee, which was only $20 anyway. I think as long as you agree to a new two year contract, it's not any problem to switch, and you won't pay anymore for the phone than anyone else. Do it online and the rebate is instant. I don't know about your other question, I'm sure there is a way to move the line, just may cost something to do. Doesn't hurt to walk into a store and see what your options are.

Graffin

Reaction score
You can switch off of a family plan onto your own line, I just did it when I got my Droid. It's called an "Assumption of Liability."

You may be able to get another upgrade for signing a new contract, but I'm not sure. If you decide to add an extra line, you'll have to go up to a family plan, which is I think another 40 bucks a month, plus the 10 for the extra line, plus the 30 for your data plan.

I don't work for Verizon, so I could be wrong, but based on what I've been able to do before, I think this is fairly accurate.

OP
S

syxxpakc

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response. I was under the impression I wouldn't be able to get the discounted price because they wouldn't allow me to extend my contract since I just did this about 6 months ago. That would be great if they allow me because I have no qualms with having a 3 1/2 year contract with Verizon, because they've been great for the last 10 years I've used them. I figured I'd ask around here first before getting fully involved with Verizon seeing as I'll need to get my father involved due to the change of contract (Data Plan being added).

Graffin

Reaction score
Not sure if you'll be able to get the upgrade. I know you can do it after a year of your contract for a small fee, but I'm not sure if you can after 6 months. You could always call and ask first. *611 from your phone.