CPO Droids & Early Upgrade Questions!

Dknelson728

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

2 issues / questions I'd like to discuss and get some insight on.

Firstly, I was on the phone the other day with a VZW customer service rep, (it was actually about 6 reps, because I kept hanging up due to the incompetent people that connected me to -.-) . I was trying to resolve the issue that I'm having with my broken EnV Touch. This my 5th one that they've sent me, and it's once again, having problems. Blahblahblah. Got on the phone with tech support so that they could try to troubleshoot. That ended up pointless, and we started discussing alternative phone options. The tech support guy brought up the fact that VZW was offering CPO (Certified-Pre-Owned), Droid X's and Incredibles on the website. He went on to say that even if I wasn't due for an upgrade, that one of those could be purchased for less than the retail price of a new one, and that my contract would NOT be extended. Awesome! I went onto the website and as far as I can tell, the CPO's are EXACTLY the same price unless you're due for an upgrade, in which case $50 is knocked off. Any insight into this?

Second question is this; One of the phones on our line is eligible for an upgrade in October. (Around the 24th I think?). Is it at all possible for me to call VZW, explain my issues with the EnV, and potentially get the upgrade early so that I could finally get rid of this crap phone and get a Droid?

Also, if I were to get the upgrade from the other line that's eligible, (which is currently not a data phone), how would I go about upgrading it onto my line?

Sorry for the length here :p

C

cdexsw

lots of questions. instead of talking to a vzw rep on the phone go into a local vzw store. and ask to talk to a manger.

I went onto the website and as far as I can tell, the CPO's are EXACTLY the same price unless you're due for an upgrade, in which case $50 is knocked off. Any insight into this?
Correct, retail minus $50. Unless your insurance/protection says otherwise.

Is it at all possible for me to call VZW, explain my issues with the EnV, and potentially get the upgrade early so that I could finally get rid of this crap phone and get a Droid?
Doubtful. But it never hurts to ask - call and talk to a rep then ask to talk to their supervisor. Going into a store will get you nowhere. VZW was offerring an early upgrade program for the Droid X to promote it's launching.

If it was me I would not settle for a "NO". I had an HTC Eris that had been replaced like 4 times. I had had enough. I told them give me a Droid or I would cancel my contract due to a B.O.C. for not being able to provide a customer with a phone that works as described. So they sent me a CPO Droid with all goodies you would find in the box. I did not pay a dime.

Also, if I were to get the upgrade from the other line that's eligible, (which is currently not a data phone), how would I go about upgrading it onto my line?
This one is tricky. Purchase the device you want for the line that needs upgrading. After the device is activated go online (or have the store rep do it) and switch the numbers of the devices. it will not affect the future upgrade of the other device. fyi have the store rep do it. ;)

OP
D

Dknelson728

Reaction score
lots of questions. instead of talking to a vzw rep on the phone go into a local vzw store. and ask to talk to a manger.

Correct, retail minus $50. Unless your insurance/protection says otherwise.

Doubtful. But it never hurts to ask - call and talk to a rep then ask to talk to their supervisor. Going into a store will get you nowhere. VZW was offerring an early upgrade program for the Droid X to promote it's launching.

This one is tricky. Purchase the device you want for the line that needs upgrading. After the device is activated go online (or have the store rep do it) and switch the numbers of the devices. it will not affect the future upgrade of the other device. fyi have the store rep do it. ;)

Thanks for the reply :)
Ended up getting on the phone with Verizon one more time, in hopes of it going well before I finally decided to go to the store. To my COMPLETE surprise, everything went perfectly! I told them about my problem (having 5 of the same phone), and told them that one of the phones on our line was due for an upgrade in October, and asked if I could just move up upgrade up. She put me on hold for about 2 minutes, and then told she told me that it was approved. I do however, have to wait until the 24th, as that is 1 month from the upgrade date. They can only pull upgrade dates back by one month from my understanding. She simply made a note on the account with the phone that I wanted (D2), and said to call back on the 24th. She also informed me that I'll just have to pay by credit card, as they won't bill it to the account. $299, and a $100 mail-in rebate. I also asked her about putting the upgrade phone on a different line, and she said that it wouldn't be a problem at all. She made sure I realized that that would still extend the contract on the other phone by 2 years, but other than that, there are no issues.

:D