[Updated] Verizon Plans To Eliminate 'Grandfathered' 3G Unlimited Data Plans

LeeRenfro

Reaction score
I already have a droid razr with 4g lte and i am grandfathered in to unlimited. My contract isnt up until 2013. I was planning on buying a droid razr maxx from one of their corporate stores and having it activated on my phone number. Am i to assume that i will get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data? When my contrat finally expires, am i to assume that i will get to keep my unlimited data on a monthly basis? My phone usually only lasts me about a year tops before i either wear it out or simply want to drop the big bugs to get anothrr better one.

monkey_man

Reaction score
I enjoy it, lets us vent a bit and talk about it.

I enjoy it as well, and hope this continues as it's been very informative. I think this his second or third attempt to try lock this thread down, but I kinda get it if some feel this issue been dragged too long.

I already have a droid razr with 4g lte and i am grandfathered in to unlimited. My contract isnt up until 2013. I was planning on buying a droid razr maxx from one of their corporate stores and having it activated on my phone number. Am i to assume that i will get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data? When my contrat finally expires, am i to assume that i will get to keep my unlimited data on a monthly basis? My phone usually only lasts me about a year tops before i either wear it out or simply want to drop the big bugs to get anothrr better one.

For all I know is that:

- Your assumption about keeping unlimited data on monthly basis is right according to Verizon, unless they change it again in the future.

- You can keep your unlimited data with subsidized price now, till they announced their Family share data plan.

- Once Family Share Data Plan starts, the only way you can maintain your Unlimited Data plan is by buying full retail price phone.

LeeRenfro

Reaction score
I hope that is correct. I have no problem ponying up the $700 or $800 for say a razr maxx but want that assurance from vzw that they wont reneg on my grandfathered unlimited data right after i do so. I just got 2 droid razrs back in march and love them even though the 4g lte coverage is spotty at best in the Ark-La-Texas region. I was planning on buying a razr maxx from their corporate store in shreveport at full price anyway when this news came last week.

cdm369

Reaction score
I wouldn't bet on buying your phone out right stopping anything. That still will not fix the issue of stressing the network. And 600$ to 700$ a phone. For most people I would think the difference saved by keeping unlimited vs paying full price for a phone wouldn't be that much of a difference. And lots of people are going to have trouble coming up with 700$ for a phone. We shall see I guess.

B

bens42608

Ur right that it is a lot of money but for the tiny percentage of us that have grandfathered unlimited, it's worth it.and there's not enough of us spread out over the united states to strain the network much

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

cdm369

Reaction score
I'm grandfathered in as well. And I'm just to the point where they need to be up front and make a fully disclosed statement so everyone knows whats what. I still feel like they throttle us after 2 gig anyway. Can't speak for everyone but I know my 3g slows down at the 2 gig mark every month.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I feel the same way.... There's definitely a noticeable difference in speed. I'm hoping to purchase the GS3 AND keep my unlimited data, but if not Razr Maxx here I come!
:D

**tap'n**

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
- Once Family Share Data Plan starts, the only way you can maintain your Unlimited Data plan is by buying full retail price phone.

And I don't expect that to change any time soon. When all is said and done, VZW will have less than 1M people paying full retail to keep unlimited data. They'll be saving @ $180 or so per year on those people ($300 subsidy every 20 months) which is the same as charging you another $15/month to keep your unlimited.

Eventually the value/economics will be such that most will part with their unlimited data, at least most not using it as broadband replacement (whom they may eventually just "fire").

As more people get tablets, a share plan is going to make more sense than paying an extra $30 for a separate data plan just to keep your unlimited on a smartphone (which you'll probably use less, anyway, when you have a tablet). VoLTE will also be compelling.

Reaction score
With 4glte being faster the cable internet it save me money in the end. Id rather keep my unlimited

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
kodiak799 said:
As more people get tablets, a share plan is going to make more sense than paying an extra $30 for a separate data plan just to keep your unlimited on a smartphone (which you'll probably use less, anyway, when you have a tablet). VoLTE will also be compelling.

Unless you simply buy a wifi tablet and tether it to your phone. As long as someone isn't using ridiculous amounts of data this really shouldn't be a problem. It's a bit silly anyway. If someone had a VZ hotspot with Unlimited they could connect up to four devices at once, so them taking issue with someone tethering one device to their phone is a bit much.

It's also unfair for people who had to rely on VZ for 3G hotspots previously--now 4G--because nothing beyond dial-up is available in their area. The price tiers for people who need that kind of bandwidth are ridiculous.

As I said, I hope a solution appears in the form of relatively inexpensive high-speed networking in some other form.

monkey_man

Reaction score
First of all let's not pretend full retail price phone as $700+ ... there are many options for you out there that should fit your wallet. The point is that if you "burned" your phone due to extreme data usage, then the minimum phone that should replace your old one should be capable of "Network Sharing". Isn't that why many are battling to keep Unlimited plan? Also, you might be right about 1M buying phone w/o subsidize or what not. Need not to worry tho as this also will give many new entrepreneurs to make some extra cash. Extra cash that will be taken out from Verizon still for those Unlimited users that decided to not going Verizon's way. In the end, this will gives "a win" for those tiered and unlimited data users and a "lose" to Verizon. A lose to Verizon as they are not able to get some extra bucks from data violation and those savings that they should get by taking away subsidized phone from Unlimited users. In a side note, more competition in a market like Ebay and the fact that these are CDMA phones, there are bigger chance for you to get a phone @ 400-500 instead of $700+. (Oh yeah, the weird thing is tho many 4G phones with this new upcoming update will be available to use in foreign countries :biggrin:)

Unless you simply buy a wifi tablet and tether it to your phone. As long as someone isn't using ridiculous amounts of data this really shouldn't be a problem. It's a bit silly anyway. If someone had a VZ hotspot with Unlimited they could connect up to four devices at once, so them taking issue with someone tethering one device to their phone is a bit much.

It's also unfair for people who had to rely on VZ for 3G hotspots previously--now 4G--because nothing beyond dial-up is available in their area. The price tiers for people who need that kind of bandwidth are ridiculous.

As I said, I hope a solution appears in the form of relatively inexpensive high-speed networking in some other form.

I like this :icon_ lala:, but again tethering will cost you additional $30 I believe... unless if you are using 3rd party program :p. That is something that Verizon want to avoid by doing such a thing. Do you know that phone carriers can't stop / force you to buy extra data plan if you decided to use your phone simcard to your tablet? :icon_ lala: It is legal if you can fathom swapping sim card here and there :). All things considered tho please use your data accordingly, and I don't want to scare anyone as I do believe this link is related to Unlimited data.... Enjoy reading this article folks :icon_ devil:

- U.S. ISPs become 'copyright cops' starting July 12th

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
droidbionicmaster said:
With 4glte being faster the cable internet it save me money in the end. Id rather keep my unlimited

Idk about that :)