[Update] Verizon's New Family Data Plans Begin: It's Called the Share Everything Plan

monkey_man

Reaction score
It drives me a little bit nuts when geeks (and I mean that term affectionately not meanly) that hang out on sites like this ASSUME the rest of the world uses the phone like they do.
Handcent: Over 10 MILLION downloads
Chomp SMS: over 5 MILLION downloads
Go SMS: Over 10 MILLION downloads
Pansi SMS... a newbie: over 500,000 downloads.
(BTW 10 MILLION is the highest number PLAY store uses)

If no one texts anymore... who is downloading all these apps???

Someone else said "I use 5-6GB a month... I think that's average..."
Really? Seriously??? Come on nerd. IT'S NOT AVERAGE!!!
(Again not being rude with the NERD term)
I handle over 20 smartphones at my office. 2 regularly go over 2 GB. 2.
One gets about 3GB a month the other about 4GB.
And the guy hitting 4 is his 5 yr old watching YouTube videos in the car.
5-6 is not average and I agree with what has been publicly stated by several sources: the average really is around 600-800 MB.

Those of us, myself included, that hang out on a site like this ARE NOT AVERAGE!

LoL... affectionately but still sounded bitter :p . All of those apps you mentioned combined are about 25,500 Millions? Ok, Verizon alone have a consumer base of about 90 Millions. Sprint how much? AT&T how many users? T-Mobile? Well, we can't nitpicking really as the real matter is that people are using things differently and need to be respected (As long as your actions are on the Majority :happy3: ofc.)

1. Most people here claimed that they use around (1-3GB) Individually tho ok. Verizon are going sharing for up to 10 phones.... They are doing so by starting it up @1GB .... Are you Serious?

2. There are Minority people here who's using less than 1GB on their phone as they have super fast Wi-Fi and rather turn a blind eyes for those that lived on a farm (should have a similar tone tho right with the way you react when people said that texting is such a fossil tool). These type of people (generalizing ofc :happy3:) reminded me of Robin Williams in his 2006 movie "RV" where he had to travel long for home and had to depend on his phone where his work required him to do so during his OFF-DAY! This type of people tho "IMO", would be jumping up and down as they already paying huge bill for that fast internet at home. They would rather pay $5 to Verizon for few MBs rather than them required to pay $30. Well, I can say it happened to me while my phone was still on 3G.

Man.... Verizon are dancing right now collecting money while we are bickering small things with each other :rofl2: trying to force our habit to each other...

The interesting part is ok... What does Verizon want to do with this way??? Are we All Liars???? Many Said they used 1-5GB of data while outliers are using less than 1GB or 100GB. If they said that they lacked the capacity of handling data? If this is true... why do they created a plan with 10GB and $15 for every GB you went over, as long as you PAID EXTRA for it, rather than just maxxed it up to 5GB? All down to Money to me as they are updating infrastructures right now and the ratio of money going to Exectives Pocket are much higher than those money saved for something like this.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
RE: The apps numbers. As I said the PLAY store uses 10 million as the max number. So it could be 50 million so we don't know the exact number. And at least a third of subscribers use the stock txting app.

I don't mean to sidetrack the conversation. I am in no way defending this new pricing structure. I hate it and will probably be leaving VZW.

Just had to rant a bit about "texting" being dead. I know a lot of people and everyone texts. Period. Old people to the youngest. All texters. To say texting is dropping is just nuts. Its bigger then it has ever been.
Unlimited texting should have been implemented a LONG time ago. For free.
But VZW doesn't care about us... it's all about profit baby.

This new plan hurts everyone.
Slacker, Pandora.
Phone manufacturers.
Google, Apple.

For a select few that will see a slight decrease in bills.
Sad...

nikecar

Reaction score
The comments that some of you are making that "no one texts anymore"... this is just nonsense. Are you kidding me? Texting is bigger now than it has ever been.
"Oh I just use a different app that uses data"... yea.. cuz you're a nerd. Most people do not.
A lot of people use the stock texting app.
With so many phones: Android and iPhone and Windows and feature phones: no one program works for EVERYONE YOU KNOW. Half my friends are VZW, a quarter are ATT, another quarter are Sprint: texting is universal. Works for every phone and every carrier.
Just because you are tech smart doesn't mean most people are.
My wife is at 2,000 txt's this month so far. And those txt's are NOT all to one person. She barely talks on her phone at all.
This is why VZW is giving you unlimited minutes. TALK minutes are WAY down....

It drives me a little bit nuts when geeks (and I mean that term affectionately not meanly) that hang out on sites like this ASSUME the rest of the world uses the phone like they do.
Handcent: Over 10 MILLION downloads
Chomp SMS: over 5 MILLION downloads
Go SMS: Over 10 MILLION downloads
Pansi SMS... a newbie: over 500,000 downloads.
(BTW 10 MILLION is the highest number PLAY store uses)

If no one texts anymore... who is downloading all these apps???

There have been millions of 1990's Ford Tauruses sold in the US. Not everyone still drives them, nor owns them (crash, etc).

You cannot infer from those numbers that all the downloads are either current (downloaded recently opposed to 5 yrs ago or whatever when it first came out), nor do all those downloads equate to use. I downloaded 2 of those programs and uninstalled them and never used them other than the 1st week trying. I added to the numbers, but also added to the number of those not using it.

Unless you can give us data that shows how many txts are sent overall, vs with these programs, saying its been downloaded X number doesn't do jack.

I go in a car dealership and test drive various cars. Doesn't mean I keep the car longterm and use it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
All down to Money to me as they are updating infrastructures right now and the ratio of money going to Exectives Pocket are much higher than those money saved for something like this.

Oh come on Monkey Man. That VZW CEO is worth every penny of the 18,000,000 he got paid last year. You thin he should take a paycut!!!

(disgusting amount of money...)

Caesars

Reaction score
Obviously the companies are making less when millions of people (exact numbers are irrelevant) were using apps that text over data such as google voice. I know when I signed up in went on a $5 txt pack because google voice was unlimited for free. Now take into consideration all the kids who Skype MSG, aim, hotmail, whatever they all are. Clearly not everyone is doing that, but even 10%of your 90million costumer base paying $15 less a month because they can text over data is a huge deal.

Not to defend the price hikes, I think it's criminal how much Verizon charges for this horse crap. Everything from the advertising, to the sales stores, to the end monthly bill is extremely shady in the wireless world. I'm 100%anti govt involvement, I just wish the consumers who don't like Verizon would actually leave instead of remain BigRedSheep.

monkey_man

Reaction score
RE: The apps numbers. As I said the PLAY store uses 10 million as the max number. So it could be 50 million so we don't know the exact number. And at least a third of subscribers use the stock txting app.

I don't mean to sidetrack the conversation. I am in no way defending this new pricing structure. I hate it and will probably be leaving VZW.

Just had to rant a bit about "texting" being dead. I know a lot of people and everyone texts. Period. Old people to the youngest. All texters. To say texting is dropping is just nuts. Its bigger then it has ever been.
Unlimited texting should have been implemented a LONG time ago. For free.
But VZW doesn't care about us... it's all about profit baby.

This new plan hurts everyone.
Slacker, Pandora.
Phone manufacturers.
Google, Apple.

For a select few that will see a slight decrease in bills.
Sad...

I feel your pain PereDroid... Am just curious tho... Aren't your Verizon phones are under your company you work for?? Well it was based on your last post. How does the Plan Owner took this new policy? Because threats are nothing if one doesn't actually quit, and the simple fact that Verizon are hanging on to us unlike Netflix by keeping us till our month to month contract begins. That is the main point of why we are on this boat right now of leaving or not leaving. :mad::mad::mad: I tried to drop my plan, but they won't allow me without paying penalties as nothing is changed!!!!!!!!! Darn you Verizon!! Not only that I love this new plan if not the fact that I have to own 1 Smartphone :icon_ devil: to be eligible.

For your second point, I don't mind seriously as envious as it can sound or make... He can make Billions of profits like Warren Buffet or something... but please don't burden those that made you successful!!!!! That is the sad day of today's corporation. Executives are thinking smart, working accordingly to make a name of him/herself and get quick Millions. Sadly, they know the fact that they are not on the job forever! Due to this some will milk the most out of the job, this is something I highly Disagree with! Just cause of one greedy Executive, thousands have to be out of a job! Isn't it sad at how Established corporations forgot their upbringing? Those days where they had to attract costumers and Shareholders at the same time to pay the debts (Assets really) that they spent so they can get regain all back in the long run? I LOATHE it Very MUCH now that they are taking it to Customers to pay for their mess and their new plans :mad::mad:. They've been profiting from stocks as well and they still want more by burdening those that pay to keep the company afloat??? Pay your darn infrastructures yourself and take the blame by losing your job when you made that mistake!!!! The only thing that should be on the main concern for these so called executives are to ensure you make your COSTUMERS HAPPY and convinced us for a long term contract so that you can get your red ink back in the near future!!!

monkey_man

Reaction score
Obviously the companies are making less when millions of people (exact numbers are irrelevant) were using apps that text over data such as google voice. I know when I signed up in went on a $5 txt pack because google voice was unlimited for free. Now take into consideration all the kids who Skype MSG, aim, hotmail, whatever they all are. Clearly not everyone is doing that, but even 10%of your 90million costumer base paying $15 less a month because they can text over data is a huge deal.

Not to defend the price hikes, I think it's criminal how much Verizon charges for this horse crap. Everything from the advertising, to the sales stores, to the end monthly bill is extremely shady in the wireless world. I'm 100%anti govt involvement, I just wish the consumers who don't like Verizon would actually leave instead of remain BigRedSheep.

I agree 100% with this bold statements. If and Only IF, there are many decent CEO's out there. I slightly blamed Forbes World Rich List at time :blink: as many are racing to be on that list. Anyways, shouldn't government stop any type of Collusion? Isn't that the correct government is for the People? You can say quit on certain company, but how can you when the selections are so small? Plans and phones value might not the same from one Wireless company to one another, but how can that be a comparison when you end up paying at about your current monthly bill? Surely Unlimited is so much a value than 1500 Minutes in comparison (plus rolloever), but does this matter when the fact is you only talk 300 minutes per month?

jseah

Reaction score
Someone else said "I use 5-6GB a month... I think that's average..."
Really? Seriously??? Come on nerd. IT'S NOT AVERAGE!!!
(Again not being rude with the NERD term)
I handle over 20 smartphones at my office. 2 regularly go over 2 GB. 2.
One gets about 3GB a month the other about 4GB.
And the guy hitting 4 is his 5 yr old watching YouTube videos in the car.
5-6 is not average and I agree with what has been publicly stated by several sources: the average really is around 600-800 MB.

Those of us, myself included, that hang out on a site like this ARE NOT AVERAGE!

And recent studies agree with you that the average data usage is about 500 MB or so. However, those same studies also shows that the average data usage has doubled over a one year period. As phones with bigger screens makes streaming video bearable, and all the talk about saving your stuff like music, etc. in the cloud, the average data usage will continue to climb. While Verizon is saying that many of their customers will actually save money if they switch to Share Everything, that is on the assumption that those same customers' data usage remains constant. If their data usage goes up, then their bill will now go up as well, which means paying more per month and putting more money into Verizon's pocket.

Drumwolf

Reaction score
Verizon has pissed my roommate off enough with this that he is cancelling all 5 lines & getting a pay-as-you-go phone. Looks like I'm looking for a Tablet with Google Voice abilities. :mad:

meishkov

Reaction score
PereDroid, in the words of Sir Charles Barkley, you a dam fool. Throwing out inapplicable #'s, backing rich (with sarcasm) CEOs, take your senseless garbage out of whack mentality elsewhere. What Big Red is doing here is bull****. Having unlimited data since like November of '09 when the OG first came out, how they just gonna take it away just like that?? And the pricing isn't even close to fair for those puny GB limits. Why couldn't they just speed-cap the highest bandwidth abusers, ones hosting torrent files and ridiculousness like that. I mean I don't even have 4G "LTE" yet but I've experimented with it many times and it's very very nice, but if they're SO concerned with network bogdowns then why do they load up all their new phones with crappy bloatware that includes like netflix, which streaming a HD movie on 4G frequently I'm sure wouldn't take long to eat up any kinda data plan you may have. Ahhhhh, frustrating how they can turn so stupid all of a sudden. I'm sure I'll probably be even more upset when I actually get the pleasure of upgrading my OG now sometime in the future. Now I might as well wait for something to come along, hopefully soon, that makes an equally significant of an impact as the original Droid did hahaha.:angry:

Last edited:

cdm369

Reaction score
And I wouldn't take verizons word for it. They are trying to sell an ill concieved plan to us. They aren't going to say this sucks but here it is. They are going to spin it their way and the figure we aren't informed or smart enough to figure it out.

Sent from my HTC REZOUND

darrick04

Reaction score
It actually makes no sense. I was paying the exact same $ under the current plan, but that will change, because I don't stay below 10GB with all three devices. Every month we will be using 12-15 GB between 2 smart phones, and a mifi that is our ONLY internet source (with fast speed, low ping, and rural area)... so every month I will really be paying about $20-$30 more because I will have to buy additional GB's, that I previously did not have to purchase.

Actually, it does. Same amount of data, think of it as $20 extra for tether with no limits on the tethered amount (up to your 10gigs, obviously).

I know you'll say "I didn't pay for tether", well, VZW knows this and so now they are just charging everyone for tether by default.

darrick04

Reaction score
I actually rarely ever do that. If somethings is "buy one, get one free" or any other sort of markdown, I always compare the price per oz. of that deal compared to the box that is nearly twice the size of the two in the BOGO offer. I almost always go with the lowest price per oz. (or other form of measurement). Kroger has that figure on nearly every label in their store.

Say You go to the supermarket and get cereal in a 17oz box for $3.50, instead of the 40oz for $1 more because you don,t think you need such a large box. You just paid more for less, on a per oz basis.

We all do it at times.

darrick04

Reaction score
So somebody who never uses over 1GB a month is going to pay $100 for 10GB because his 1GB will only cost $10??????????????? Hmmm, let me think about how that makes him smart.

Somebody who never uses over 1GB a month, doesn't need a smart phone. They just need a basic phone. I don't get the need for being condescending, either. The point is, what family "SHARE EVERYTHING PLAN" with "up to 10 devices" would ever justify thinking they could not use more than 1GB per month.

The cost of sending a GB of data doesn't impact a carrier, whether the customer pays $50 for 1GB or $100 for 10GB. So why does the customer who only needs 1G (or less) need to pay 5 times as much (per GB) for something that doesn't cost the carrier a penny more?