Update Ruin Note 4?

recDNA

Reaction score
I read on Android Forums that many N4 users complain the most recent update from VZW slowed they phones way down and ruined battery life. They claim there is now a delay when you click on an app or shortcut etc.

Is this true. Was there a fix?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't experienced any such issue. Sometimes, an update will be a bit buggy & a factory reset will almost always fix the issue.

I haven't seen other members here claiming they've had problems either.

The latest update that I'm aware of was simply a security patch to fix the stage fright exploit.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
I actually meant the one before that that update to 5 however if u don't have the issue it doesn't matter. Thanking of buying a Note 4 instead of Note 5. Any reason I shouldn't?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Ah. Many of us went ahead and did an fdr with that update. It's large, so lots of potential for bugs/etc. If you're buying the phone now, I'd just wait to set it up all the way until after you've got it updated & do an fdr.

Still a solid device. If removable battery & sd card are important to you, it's an even clearer choice.

My wife will be trying my Note 4 out when the 6P arrives to see if she likes the size, but if you've already got a Note, that shouldn't be much of a deal for you.

Note 4 will be cheaper, obviously.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
What do i miss out on that is in n5 but not n4?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Slightly better specs. Glass on the front & back. Some added features of the s pen. Will likely be updated further in terms of Android versions simply because it's newer.

There are probably several Note 4 vs Note 5 videos on YouTube spring the differences.

OP
R

recDNA

Reaction score
Thanks. I hate the glass back and n4 screen should be as good according to specs.

I thought smart switch was like kies restoring email set up etc whereas google only restores the apps but not the setup within each app?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I have had HORRID battery the last month. After an FDR it works fine for a few days but then dives off again

Note 4tified

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
How is your overall signal Miller? Don't you travel to a number of places that have spotty coverage? Could the 3G-4G back and forth be causing the drain?

S5 tap'n

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
How is your overall signal Miller? Don't you travel to a number of places that have spotty coverage? Could the 3G-4G back and forth be causing the drain?

S5 tap'n
No. There is something keeping the phone awake I just can't find what. I'm losing 5% an hour with zero use in good signal with Wifi.

Note 4tified