Unlocking the Droid X Bootloader may be closer than we think....try 2

Reaction score
So without posting a link to the thread (because donations are being accepted there and its against DF policy to link to donations) I'd like to share with everyone and get some feedback from the community.

If you interested in custom ROMs on the Droid X, remeber that pesky custom bootloader we can't get past? Well aparently Alldroid is about to try and purchase a developer bootloader from a MOTO employee on the "X" project. This could possibly open up a new age of developement on the X since up till now we can root it but can't load from-source and custom ROMs yet. If you are interested, checkout the Alldroid Interwebz (its in their main page announcements).

I would also like to appologize to DF for innapropriately posting the donation link, it was a mistake made with good intentions....but a mistake non-the-less.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how much is this Moto guy asking for the unlocked bootyloader (yes i put that y there)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
how much is this Moto guy asking for the unlocked bootyloader (yes i put that y there)

I would bet in the 10's of thousands....

OP
J
Reaction score
No specified ammount but Alldroid assures that no money will be payed till the authenticity of the bootloader has been determined. They have a percentage bar for donation progress but no dollar ammount advertised.

OP
J
Reaction score
I've seen it go from 10% to 83% in less than an hour though...so it can't be more than a couple grand at most.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would donate if they can guarantee it would be freely distributed to any and all android developers that wanted it at no cost...

OP
J
Reaction score
I would donate if they can guarantee it would be freely distributed to any and all android developers that wanted it at no cost...

Well they say whoever donates gets a six hour head start with what they get before it gets released to the world.

yurdle

Reaction score
Lol well they have hit 100% so hopefully something comes within the next couple of days...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

I would bet in the 10's of thousands....
Well even at 1 ten thousand I would say the price is too high...

The Droid X community isn't that large to pony up that kind of money.

Mike

At first I thought they were talking about a lic copy of the bootloader from Moto...Not a Dev device that "someone" has...

meth0d

Reaction score
guys this is not being purchased from a moto dev...need to get that across...its a dev phone though with a different bootloader then what the rest of us have

Mikejl

Reaction score

sirus

Reaction score
Maybe I'm totally misunderstanding the functionality of the efuse, but it seems logical that if loading "non official" software bricks the phone, then the x wouldn't be able to get through an OTA without something telling it to chill. My question is does the data they're pushing (or will be) contain the chill pill, or does verizon do an OTA "efuse broadcast", letting the bootloader know that an update and handshake is coming it's way...?