Droid X Bootloader Locked, Custom ROMs Unlikely

peperonikiller

Reaction score
ok fine, well i'm saying root is way more likely than getting custom roms. Just check out Steven Bird's blog.. So....

peperonikiller

Reaction score
if you really want to be technical

I don't want to get technical, thanks

I will save that for the Droid Xperts

:icon_ banana: Well then let me just give you a link to a Droid expert then...

The DroidX: Security and Discovery Steven Bird

Now if you would kindly scroll down...

"
Q: Can DroidX be rooted?
A: Anything, can be rooted. Will the DroidX be rooted? yes.
"

Do some research sir, and dont be so ignorant

dustin4863

Reaction score
wow i just read all 7 pages of this guess i was bored its funny it started out " well sucks the droid x is locked too bad" then for some reason turned into a fight people calm down the phone isn't released yet Friday/Thursday night we will know more but its no reason to get mad or upset
just my 2 cents

bigyeah

Reaction score
As speculation suggests, root access will most likely be possible with the Droid X. Does this mean unmonitored and unrestricted tethering will be possible if root Access is possible but with no custom ROM? Also, what are the benefits to having a custom ROM beyond being able to overclock and having root access? Do apps become free to download from certain locations like a jailbroken iphone?

On a side note here is my Rant:

This whole "Lock Down" mindset that Verizon feels is necessary to increase quarterly earnings is ridiculous and leaves them behind the curve, and I am sure many of you are aware that this is not the first case of Verizon getting "lock down" happy.

Remember when Verizon, not blackberry, decided not to feature Wifi on the Blackberry Tour because Verizon claimed something along the lines of,"3g speeds and the reliability of the network would have made WiFi a redundant feature." Or how about when Verizon did not allow for "location on" GPS capabilities before the Blackberry Tour, making most of the useful apps at the time damn near useless, like Poynt.

But I do have faith in the community to crack the encryption. Everything can be cracked, it's just a matter of when, which depends on how relentless the programming/cracking community is. Good luck to the brilliant minds! We are depending on you, now hurry up!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm now not so concerned about waiting for my 1-yr early upgrade in Feb since it will probably be months before the rumored Droid Pro gets fully rooted.

Strategically, I don't fully agree with this decision by VZW/Moto or whomever is responsible. As mentioned, we are all beta testers and Android/VZW/Moto are all benefiting. And, yes, we are not significant in the grand scheme of things, so I would think the loss revenue is ultimately paltry in terms of the free testing and improvements these guys are getting.

My suspicion is - something I would agree with strategically - is that the goal is to make full root so difficult and scary that only the very tech savvy risk takers would be willing to do it. That way you put a sort of arbitrary limit on the revenue bleed but can still ultimately benefit from the cutting-edge beta testers.

Yakuzahi

Reaction score
Yes, I'm not going to get the Droix X!
I need Hebrew on my device and I don't think its for sure that 2.2 will support Hebrew.

bizzshow

Reaction score
The bootloader is more than encrypted its also hardware locked. And don't hold your breath on seeing something different with the d2 read a post were a insider was shown a picture of 50+ d2 bricked to insure this feature worked

nhat

Reaction score
i knew there'd be an article to refute the article i just posted :)

Darkseider

Reaction score
Even if eFuse won't brick the phone the bootloader is signed and encrypted with a 1024 bit key. Unless the entire bootloader can be reflashed to something different or the keys leaked there is no way in HELL you'll ever see custom ROMs. EVER.

bizzshow

Reaction score
their are articles both ways. the only way were going to know is when someone bricks it with this feature. but just so you know Ive been told as of today that it still has this feature, the person telling me has been pretty much right on everything about the droidx