Unlocking the Droid X Bootloader may be closer than we think....try 2

luigi90210

Reaction score
Well, y'all can bump it all you want, but I think that hope is dead. It's too bad that it wasn't made clear in the subject and OP of this thread that it was for a dev phone and not a superduper unlocked leaked dev style .sbf file. I just got contacted to buy a dev phone or two from one of my sources and the price is $350 each; reported as WAY less than they "paid for there's".

And as far as the eFuse is concerned, here's a great read on it:

OPTICALDELUSION: Clearly you have no idea what an eFuse is.

it couldn't be more fully explained; and within this article we find why the DX, etc. bootloaders will probably NEVER be cracked. Hint: it's not all in the software . . . .
sorry for the bump but this article although very informative can be proven wrong

Microsoft use the same eFuse technology in their xbox 360's to prevent people from loading custom software onto their xboxs but after an exploit was found to load custom firmware/software(known as the Jtag exploit) they successfully burnt out the eFuses without damaging the xbox's functionality

now if microsoft was able to successfully burn out the eFuses on the xbox 360 WITHOUT damaging the functionality of the device using a software update what is stopping motorola from doing the same thing?
heck they dont even have to disable the eFuses all they have to do is update the bootloader so we have access to the "fastboot oem unlock" command so we can unlock the bootloader like people can on the xoom

EDIT burning the efuses on the xbox patched the jtag exploit because the jtag exploit requires the functionality of the efuses(i dont really know the technical details on how it works but i know you need the efuses to have a jtaged xbox)

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, the way I understood the article was that there is a rom that is part of the actual cpu's hardware that checks the bootloader, etc. upon the Droid X's boot sequence.

Sort of like an EPROM. So, the way I understand it, unless we find a way to pull that chip and rewrite to it, users of the Droid X are not EVER going to have the same functionality that we Droid 1 owners do.

jrummy16

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm usually an optimist but I don't think the x will ever be unlocked. Maybe future devices will be unlockable like the xoom, but if I was a betting man I would not count on the DX being unlocked. I think perhaps the best thing we could do is have a 2nd init like the milestone (without which cyanogenmod on milestone would be impossible).

I haven't checked where they are at on project unlock-bootloader though and I really do hope I'm proven wrong.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
the x will never be unlocked. it's funny that people are still trying for god knows what reason...i guess its a way to collect donations...

chuck54

Reaction score

the x will never be unlocked. it's funny that people are still trying for god knows what reason...i guess its a way to collect donations...

So another bump, we have come super close to 2nd init for gingerbread!!!