Trying to salvage my razr after a swim.

razr_jmay

Reaction score
Yesterday evening I managed to walk into a pool with my phone in my pocket. My hand went to my pocket immediately and I pulled it out of the water within about 4-5 seconds, it did get completely submerged.

When I got it out of the water the screen was blank except for a horizontal line or 2 and then the phone was off. The phone was very much near dead before it went swimming.

It was immediately wiped off, but it was a bit of time before it got into a bag with rice as I was nowhere near home. It was in rice for close to 24 hours.

I've seen videos of people submerging the RAZR in water for 3x the amount of time mine was submerged, and the phone never even powered off, those vids gave me a bit of hope. After I set it in rice for almost a day, I attempted to plug in, when I plugged it into the wall the white light at the top left came on for a second or two, then turned off. From what I've read a steady white light means the battery is completely dead??

The phone is currently back on rice.

Did I try to plug it in too soon and it's a goner? Or is there something else I can do?

Thanks guys.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is tough.... I don't mean this like tough luck. I mean its a tough call. If the device has been in rice for 24 hours, ....

I say take a chance and plug it in, you need to charge it or it will die for all eternity... unless you have a factory cable.

I say charge it.. or you won't be able to.. you still may be up a creek.

If you let it continue to sit and discharge, it may does completely, sounds like it has, but if you used the supplied cable and charger, you could get lucky.

Good luck

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree with Agent 94, charge it or you may completely lose the battery. I hope you shook out the phone real good before you put it into the rice. I would put it into my hands, hold tight and setting my arm like I was trying to snap my wrist, with the end of the phone farthest out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

T

TheBeta

FoxKat said:
I agree with Agent 94, charge it or you may completely lose the battery. I hope you shook out the phone real good before you put it into the rice. I would put it into my hands, hold tight and setting my arm like I was trying to snap my wrist, with the end of the phone farthest out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for agreeing with me. ::Nightingale:

OP
R

razr_jmay

Reaction score
This is tough.... I don't mean this like tough luck. I mean its a tough call. If the device has been in rice for 24 hours, ....

I say take a chance and plug it in, you need to charge it or it will die for all eternity... unless you have a factory cable.

I say charge it.. or you won't be able to.. you still may be up a creek.

If you let it continue to sit and discharge, it may does completely, sounds like it has, but if you used the supplied cable and charger, you could get lucky.

Good luck

I did not know this.

It's weird, that white light comes on for just a split second and goes off, I'm not sure if having it plugged in is doing anything.

Right now it's plugged into the wall via the factory cable that game with my gf's Droid 2. No white light flashed or anything, not lights, no nothing right now :/. The factory cable that came with the RAZR is at my desk at my office, which I wont see for another 10 hours.

A few minutes earlier I plugged it in via usb charger that was plugged into a 2 prong connector. The white light flashed for a split second.

It sounds to me like it's dead. But does that white notification light that flashes for a split second mean that it's not water-damage dead?

As in, would a new battery work? If so, what's the easiest way to go about replacing the battery since you cant easily take the back off?

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The little white light is normal when you first plug it in... at least on all 4 on my contract, 2 that I personally use..

Plug it in!! :p

Last edited:
OP
R

razr_jmay

Reaction score
The little white light is normal when you first plug it in... at least on all 4 on my contract, 2 that I personally use..

Plug it in!! :p

Lol, it's plugged in at the moment, but no battery charging icon or lights or anything, is that normal?

rpdonald

Reaction score
razr_jmay said:
Lol, it's plugged in at the moment, but no battery charging icon or lights or anything, is that normal?

First, if your phone is off then there will be no icon. Second, the RAZR does not have any notification light that it is charging. You just have to trust in the force.

I would let it be on the charger overnight and survey the damage in the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

OP
R

razr_jmay

Reaction score
First, if your phone is off then there will be no icon. Second, the RAZR does not have any notification light that it is charging. You just have to trust in the force.

I would let it be on the charger overnight and survey the damage in the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

Hmm. Fair enough, I will update in the AM! Thanks.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The white light you describe is actually a charging indicator, When your device is off.

Other than that, try pressing the volume up or down button... it will show a glowing green battery...

But I would let it charge for a while.

OP
R

razr_jmay

Reaction score
The white light you describe is actually a charging indicator, When your device is off.

Other than that, try pressing the volume up or down button... it will show a glowing green battery...

But I would let it charge for a while.

The thing I was worried about was that the white light goes off so quick, so I wasn't sure if it was doing anything at all, and pressing the volume rocker doesn't do anything atm. (It's still plugged in.)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The white light is only an instant, When you first plug it in.

Leave it charging. And if you have any old Duracells laying around... you may want to make a battery shrine and sacrifice an energizer or two :what::screwy:

Seriously, hope for the best. Leave it charging.

OP
R

razr_jmay

Reaction score
The white light is only an instant, When you first plug it in.

Leave it charging. And if you have any old Duracells laying around... you may want to make a battery shrine and sacrifice an energizer or two :what::screwy:

Seriously, hope for the best. Leave it charging.

Hah, I appreciate it, I'll leave it plugged in overnight and update when I get up for work.

Also, worst case scenario and it doesn't power on in the AM, what would next course of action be? Verizon wouldn't do anything because it surely has water damage. Is it possible to just replace the battery?

Last edited:

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Hah, I appreciate it, I'll leave it plugged in overnight and update when I get up for work.

Also, worst case scenario and it doesn't power on in the AM, what would next course of action be? Verizon wouldn't do anything because it surely has water damage. Is it possible to just replace the battery?

Is it possible? Yes. But even if you replace it, there is no way of knowing what else has been damaged by the water. If you put a new battery in it and it still doesn't work you just wasted that money. Now if you can find a repair center that can give you a free or low cost estimate on what it will take to fix it, then you'll know if it's worth it.