Trying to salvage my razr after a swim.

marcustaz

Reaction score
HELP as well. I just got back from vacation with my family. Yes my phone got wet, forgot it in my pocket when I jumped in the pool. I get a solid white led when the phone is plugged into the pc or on the charger, home and car all the same. When I plug into the PC it tells me unidentified device. When it takes some of a charge I disconnect and then I get a blinking blue led indicator. Here is the deal, honestly I could care less about the phone and this is my dilema. All the pictures and videos I shot of my young children (priceless to me) are on the Internal Memory!!!! I thought it would go to my SD card by default but apparently not. Yes the pool was slightly salty prob using a chlorine generator. I opened up the phone carefully and I can see where there was some electrolitic build up from apparently salt. I cleaned those areas with Isoproypl Alcohol as best I could. At this point I just want to know if anyone knows a repair service that can retrive data. Reading Motorola website they WILL NOT repair a water damaged phone... Any advise would be greatly aprreciated. Is it worth building a factory cable. I can solder...

Last edited:

DethDroid

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE!! My husband decided to throw my sons jeans in the laundry without first checking pockets...of course his Maxx was in a pocket...we got it out quickly but it was pretty wet. I dried it off right away but the screen started flashing then went black. I am not even sure if I was able to turn it off. I have used compressed air to blow out as much water as I can...I removed the sim card and sd card and blew out those sockets as well (both cards were wet). I tried to turn it on but I cannot tell if it is on or not. I tried to plug it into the charger and got a white flash but unplugged it to put it in rice. OK I have now confused myself lol. The phone is currently in rice...tomorrow I will attempt to plug it in again. Can anyone tell me if the screen dying is an indication that the phone is toast or is it a normal response from getting wet? Should I try to charge it tomorrow and or power it up (that is if its not already) Also please tell me should I remove the sim/sd cards while its in the rice??? Please advise!! Thanks :)

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Leave it in rice for AT LEAST 24 hours. The longer the better. The worst thing you can do is power it up when it is wet.

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
HELP as well. I just got back from vacation with my family. Yes my phone got wet, forgot it in my pocket when I jumped in the pool. I get a solid white led when the phone is plugged into the pc or on the charger, home and car all the same. When I plug into the PC it tells me unidentified device. When it takes some of a charge I disconnect and then I get a blinking blue led indicator. Here is the deal, honestly I could care less about the phone and this is my dilema. All the pictures and videos I shot of my young children (priceless to me) are on the Internal Memory!!!! I thought it would go to my SD card by default but apparently not. Yes the pool was slightly salty prob using a chlorine generator. I opened up the phone carefully and I can see where there was some electrolitic build up from apparently salt. I cleaned those areas with Isoproypl Alcohol as best I could. At this point I just want to know if anyone knows a repair service that can retrive data. Reading Motorola website they WILL NOT repair a water damaged phone... Any advise would be greatly aprreciated. Is it worth building a factory cable. I can solder...

A factory cable is to charge a battery when it is deep discharged. Not sure if that will help but, as they say, it can't hurt. If you get this running or if you replace it, the second thing you do (after an FDR. I do that for every new phone as soon as I charge it the first time) is to change the location of your pictures, songs, etc is on the external sd card. You can also sync you photos using Google+ As long as Google sync is enabled, your pictures will automatically forward to your Google + account.

Good luck. Let us know how the cable/repair goes.

Last edited:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to insult anyone. Why do people insist on turning on the phone and trying when they KNOW it's still wet????
Leave it off, in the bag of rice for at least a day, preferably two.

Only when you know it is dry do you attempt to turn it on.
If it wasn't dead when it hit the water, you are going to kill it by trying to turn it on...

DethDroid

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE!! My husband decided to throw my sons jeans in the laundry without first checking pockets...of course his Maxx was in a pocket...we got it out quickly but it was pretty wet. I dried it off right away but the screen started flashing then went black. I am not even sure if I was able to turn it off. I have used compressed air to blow out as much water as I can...I removed the sim card and sd card and blew out those sockets as well (both cards were wet). I tried to turn it on but I cannot tell if it is on or not. I tried to plug it into the charger and got a white flash but unplugged it to put it in rice. OK I have now confused myself lol. The phone is currently in rice...tomorrow I will attempt to plug it in again. Can anyone tell me if the screen dying is an indication that the phone is toast or is it a normal response from getting wet? Should I try to charge it tomorrow and or power it up (that is if its not already) Also please tell me should I remove the sim/sd cards while its in the rice??? Please advise!! Thanks :)

Hi Forum... Sorry it's been a while but here is the situation now...the phone dried out fine in the rice, turned on and charged up phew! Wrong! Now the camera won't work. When he tries to open the program it won't start. Everything else seems fine. The camera never appeared to have water in it (foggy lens etc.) so I can't say for sure if it got wet or not. I want to send it in but from what others say there is a sensor or something that tells them the phone got wet. Should I send it back for warranty on the camera or should I send it to Assurion? Does getting the phone wet void the warranty? I am really confused on what I should do so any advise would really be appreciated!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Yes, getting the phone wet voids the warranty. The phone is warrantied against manufacturing defects not water damage. If your water markers show moisture you're outta luck. Use your insurance and get another phone.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Last edited: