Trying to Quit Smoking

amishdude01

Reaction score
Hey guys and girls. Im almost 22 years old and I have been smoking since i was 17. I wasnt a heavy smoker, but i would smoke 3-5 a day and a pack on the weekends. Last week I finally had enough. I threw away my pack and havent touched a cig since last friday. So almost a week now. The past 2 days have been pretty rough. How long does it take for me to feel the need to not have a cig anymore? I dont want to buy any patches or anything as well. If anyoine could give me a few tips on what to do instead of smoke, Id really appreciate it. Thanks a ton!

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
:applause:

Its a hard habit to kick. I know my grandfather started chewing gum a lot to help with the itch. I've heard it takes several weeks to a little over a month to not have as bad of withdrawl effects.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Nemo Aeternamn

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a good start... My best advise to help kick it... Keep your hands busy...

"I'll get you my little pretty... And your little dog todo too"
"I don't even have a little dog todo"

ramacker

Reaction score
I quit in Nov after 30 yrs of that nasty habit. About a month I had bad cravings to have a smoke. I think you'll always get the cravings but they get alot easier as time passes. I cheated and used the nicotine lozenges made it easier for me. Good luck to ya

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
i quit smoking 2 years ago from 2 packs a day to nothing.. it really hard for the first month.. the feeling of wanting a cig is still there. especially when i am hanging out with friends that do. good luck and just stick with it.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
oh things that help- sunflower seeds , suckers . that about it . gum never worked for me

OP
amishdude01

amishdude01

Reaction score
Ya thats what im affraid of too.. 1. Drinking, and 2. ALL my friends smoke. Its gonna be hard. Thanks for the advice Justin. Ill try out those tips for sure.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The physical addiction is only three days. After that, it's all mental. I've tried quitting smokeless tobacco, but I really don't want to quit. It doesn't matter how many people think you should quit, if you don't want to, it's impossible.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The physical addiction is only three days. After that, it's all mental. I've tried quitting smokeless tobacco, but I really don't want to quit. It doesn't matter how many people think you should quit, if you don't want to, it's impossible.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Not even close, physical addiction can last several weeks, and more importantly you're addicted for life. That's why it's so had to quit.
A good friend of mine and I were sitting in a bar and someone passed a cig in front of us and he picked it up and started to light it.
WTF, do you smoke? He actually started in his chair and realized what he was doing. He had quit 10 years ago, and the response was still there.

Slusser

Reaction score
Yeah in process of trying to quitting myself the closest I gotten to beating it was when I spent the weekend in prison. The physical withdraws were over by third day, only I was to weak to keep it up after I got out. My problem is I actually used it as a crutch after quitting drinking reason why the weekend in jail. Haven't gone back to drinking though I was a magnificent alcoholic since my teen years just as I been a magnificent smoker since the age of twelve. Trying now to cut down the amount of cigs a day by chewing the gum. That's only because they recommend the strongest patch if you smoke like a pack and a half a day but I've been a 3-4 pack a day smoker for years. Good luck to all who are trying to quit as well.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My mother in law chewed on pvc pipe to help the cravings... now she's addicted to diet coke - or at least the act of drinking out of a straw. :blink:

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah in process of trying to quitting myself the closest I gotten to beating it was when I spent the weekend in prison. The physical withdraws were over by third day, only I was to weak to keep it up after I got out. My problem is I actually used it as a crutch after quitting drinking reason why the weekend in jail. Haven't gone back to drinking though I was a magnificent alcoholic since my teen years just as I been a magnificent smoker since the age of twelve. Trying now to cut down the amount of cigs a day by chewing the gum. That's only because they recommend the strongest patch if you smoke like a pack and a half a day but I've been a 3-4 pack a day smoker for years. Good luck to all who are trying to quit as well.

Hang in there. Each day you make it is one day closer to freedom from a bad habit.

Sidebar: Jail is where you go for the weekend. Prison is where you go for 25 years to life...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not even close, physical addiction can last several weeks, and more importantly you're addicted for life. That's why it's so had to quit.
A good friend of mine and I were sitting in a bar and someone passed a cig in front of us and he picked it up and started to light it.
WTF, do you smoke? He actually started in his chair and realized what he was doing. He had quit 10 years ago, and the response was still there.

I'm using my doctor as my source. I would look for another, but both my mother, whose been a nurse for 20+ years, and my doctor, both agree that the physical dependency is only 72 hours. If you have another source, I'd like to read it.