Trying to figure out which phone

Reaction score
Hi Im new here and sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have been thinking about getting a new phone lately. When the thunderbolt came out I said I had to have it. Well I wasnt able to upgrade at the time. I stopped in the verizon store the other day to ask about a firefighter discount I heard I could get and I seen the new Casio Commando. I love the looks of that phone. Now Im up in the air on which phone to get.

My last 2 phones were rugedized phones. I had the Casio Boulder and currently the Casio Rock. So I was thinking about getting the Commando. Im a Union Carpenter and a firefighter and figured that would best for my needs. I do drop my phone everyonce in ahwile but who doesnt. Its not like its on purpose anyways. The only thing I dont like is about these phones is that Verizon only has the 29.99 or higher data plan.

The only differences I could really see between the two phones are the thunderbolt has a bigger screen, has a better processor, has fm radio, better camera, 4g. There might be a few more. With my current phone it only has like a 3 mega pixel camera I think and I dont take a whole lot of pictures so I dont think that will be a huge deal. I mean a 5 mp camera isnt to bad. As far a 4g we dont have it in are area. Its in detroit and thats like 50 minutes from me. So that would be pointless.

Just looking on people opinions. I guess if I had to I could always get a rubber case for the Thunderbolt. But my luck it would fall in a water puddle lol. Well hope to hear from you guys soon and sorry if its in the wrong section.

Zecpull

Reaction score
I think The Commando would be a great phone for You .. Check to see if you get any discount on your plan where you work. Also if you decide on the Commando do a check on Amazon first....they were under $100 last week.

OP
B
Reaction score
I seen them on amazon for 79.99 and I seen them some where else for 19.99 I thought. Im pretty sure that was also the price for the upgrade. It sucks cause I love the look of the thunderbolt and how it has 4g but at the same time I have had 2 other ruggedized phones and they came in handy so many times. Maybe I will wait a few months and see if there is another ruggedized one that comes out. Im sure there will be if this one is a hit like everyone says. I just hate waiting lol

rebaf

Reaction score
I always wound up needing a phone that would take more abuse....and everything else for that mater.
At this point things are a bit calmer now. I still went ahead and got an otter box defender case....like it allot.
You and I both probably know that you need the tuff phone, want the other one, and they most likely won't come out with a tuff phone as sweet as the latest regular phones....I've been wrong before though.
If you do go with the regular phone check in to a good case, expect to pay a bit for the case.

From phone.

matt2783

Reaction score
I seen them on amazon for 79.99 and I seen them some where else for 19.99 I thought. Im pretty sure that was also the price for the upgrade. It sucks cause I love the look of the thunderbolt and how it has 4g but at the same time I have had 2 other ruggedized phones and they came in handy so many times. Maybe I will wait a few months and see if there is another ruggedized one that comes out. Im sure there will be if this one is a hit like everyone says. I just hate waiting lol

If you're not in a 4g area, there isn't much sense (pun intended) in buying the Thunderbolt. It's big, bulky and expensive. The Incredible 2 would probably be a better buy. Sounds to me like the Commando would come in handy for you. I wouldn't wait around for another "ruggedized" phone though, especially a smartphone. You may be waiting for quite a while.

OP
B
Reaction score

If you're not in a 4g area, there isn't much sense (pun intended) in buying the Thunderbolt. It's big, bulky and expensive. The Incredible 2 would probably be a better buy. Sounds to me like the Commando would come in handy for you. I wouldn't wait around for another "ruggedized" phone though, especially a smartphone. You may be waiting for quite a while.

Ya I just didnt know if verizon would be spanning the 4g everywhere or certain places. I was thinking about waiting a while to get it but now Im getting nervous cause the data rates may change from what I heard. It might be a good thing for me and it might not. I never had internet on a phone so not sure how much I would use. Probably surf the web a little, watch a few youtube videos, facebook. Not sure if it would be cheaper for me to wait till the new data plans for a cheaper rate or lock in the 29.99 rate.

matt2783

Reaction score
Just saw at the home page, Amazon is selling the Commando for $20 on contract. If you're going to buy it now would be a great time.

About weather to wait for Verizon to switch up data plans, it's unlikely you'd save much money. They may offer a cheaper plan, maybe 2 gbs for $25 like AT&T does, but I'd much prefer unlimited. It's nice to not have to worry about how much data you're using. If you go over you're limit even once you'll probably end up paying more than you would've for unlimited.

Also, nobody knows exactly when Verizon plans to offer tiered data plans. Could be this summer could be next year.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Just saw at the home page, Amazon is selling the Commando for $20 on contract. If you're going to buy it now would be a great time.

About weather to wait for Verizon to switch up data plans, it's unlikely you'd save much money. They may offer a cheaper plan, maybe 2 gbs for $25 like AT&T does, but I'd much prefer unlimited. It's nice to not have to worry about how much data you're using. If you go over you're limit even once you'll probably end up paying more than you would've for unlimited.

Also, nobody knows exactly when Verizon plans to offer tiered data plans. Could be this summer could be next year.
According to the posted ad from that thread, that $20 price is for NEW Contracts...not existing ones.

OP
B
Reaction score

According to the posted ad from that thread, that $20 price is for NEW Contracts...not existing ones.

I seen I think on wirefly.com that for a existing customer you can get it for 19.99