Troubleshooting reboot while playing music

whysoseriousblack

Reaction score
Ok, so I was hoping someone here could help me get started on debugging a problem. I've googled around and found other folks with the ssame issue, but no resolutions, so I'm determined to figure it out. For the last few months, my phone has been rebooting while playing music. I've tried multiple music apps (Doubletwist, stock Android app, and a couple of others). It does it all of them. The issue is pretty intermittent, but it seems to occur most often when the phone is being moved around (like at the gym, or in the car). It happened both on Android 2.2 and 2.3.

Basically what happens is the phone will freeze, the music will stop, and a few seconds later, it will fall over and reboot. I have a working theory that it might be a kernel panic, or potentially a hardware problem. My warranty is expired, so I can't take it into verizon. So I would at least like to rule out a software problem before I look into paying for a new phone.

So, I was hoping for some advice on where to begin. I'm a software developer and used to debugging code, but I odn't know a lot about the Android ecosystem... is there anything I need to do to enable crash dumps or get crash dumps? I've tried adb logcat, but it's huge and I don't even know where to start. I'm not finding a kernel panic... but I don't know if one is being created or not.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!