Play Music skipping every other song

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been using google play music for years now, and recently I've been having an issue I don't know how to solve.

When connected to bluetooth for media every now and then it will start not playing audio for every other song... the song is still playing however no audio is being played.

I've searched around and tried disabling the equalizer. If I skip backwards to the previous song then skip forward it will play, sometimes if I skip forwards and then backwards it will play but most often it won't.

Some temporary fixes are disabling and re-enabling bluetooth or a complete phone power cycle, sometimes a power cycle doesn't do anything and I've got to restart it numerous times.

I have an LG tone bluetooth headset that is enabled for phone only and an aukey car adapter that's media only. the problem is completely random, it will be playing fine for hours then suddenly start skipping songs. I can't find anything online so thought I'd ask here in case anyone else had this same issue. It really makes me want to stop using play music and just download all my music on my phone

thanks..

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmm...I haven't had any issues lately.

Does it seem to make any difference if you're trying to listen straight through an album or if it's a playlist? I haven't listened straight through an album in quite a while. I'm a big fan of just telling it "Ok Google, play some music." And seeing what comes up.

Not sure if/why that would make any difference, but just curious.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have experienced similar issues lately with the Play Music app, but only when streaming, not with my local music. I chalked it up to poor LTE signal even though it appeared that I had a good signal. Maybe there's a bug in the newer app updates?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Here's my version info. Truth be told, my commute often doesn't last more than a song, so I'm starting & stopping playback. That may be why I haven't noticed this.

afd0ee810ff3e10913a5bdacfff2bb8f.jpg

However, I did stream over WiFi while mowing the lawn a couple days ago with no issue.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just happened to me again. Played 2 songs from downloaded music just fine, started to stream a Play Music station and first song played a few seconds and then skipped to the next. About 20 seconds later that one skipped. Playing fine since those two skips. This only started for me very recently...same route to and from work every day. Just got gas...back to driving and no typing. Safety first.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here's my version info. Truth be told, my commute often doesn't last more than a song, so I'm starting & stopping playback. That may be why I haven't noticed this.

afd0ee810ff3e10913a5bdacfff2bb8f.jpg

However, I did stream over WiFi while mowing the lawn a couple days ago with no issue.

I have the same version Jonny.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
54730a63ce0ef6b6e1e15b23da29cd54.jpg

Same version here but slightly different problem

The audio stops streaming but the song is still playing. I did turn off stream over WiFi only, gonna drive home and see if it does it. Cache while playing is on and I would think needs to stay on...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
54730a63ce0ef6b6e1e15b23da29cd54.jpg

Same version here but slightly different problem

The audio stops streaming but the song is still playing. I did turn off stream over WiFi only, gonna drive home and see if it does it. Cache while playing is on and I would think needs to stay on...

That also happened to me yesterday now that I think about it. Song appeared to still be playing (streaming music) but no sound from the speakers. And manually skipping tracks did not help. I forgot about that. I pulled over and turned Bluetooth off & back on and switched to locally stored music and all was good again. I wonder if it's an issue with the cached music while streaming? I'll definitely keep an eye open for a Play Music app update.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm out & about on my electric skateboard for a meeting. I brought my BT phones with me, but I was running late & didn't use them. I'll give them a try on the way home. It's a longer ride than my drive to work every day.

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Nope, still doing it, I think it's something with Bluetooth... Maybe something to do with the cache, no clue

OP
liftedplane

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
AAAND TODAY it didn't skip one bit... what the actual hell google... seriously... at least be a bug that's easy to track. /sigh... still absolutely no idea what causes it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
AAAND TODAY it didn't skip one bit... what the actual hell google... seriously... at least be a bug that's easy to track. /sigh... still absolutely no idea what causes it.

I listened to locally stored music on my drive to work this morning. I will try some streaming music on the drive home and see how it goes.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Listened to streaming music this afternoon and worked fine for me also. I wonder if it was a problem on Google's end, maybe a server issue somewhere? I also noticed that the choices the past few days were not normal for me. A lot of times I click the I'm Feeling Lucky radio option (in Play Music) and the music that's played matches my taste and my thumbs up likes...mostly rock / hard rock. The last 2 days or so at the same time as the skipping & not playing correctly issue the music that was played for me was nowhere near my favorite style and some really weird stuff. Today I clicked Feeling Lucky radio and all 6 or 7 songs on the way home were what I would call correct based on my taste.