Trouble with app storage - application, internal and SD

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
I have a Droid Raxr Maxx, Android 4.1.2, with 16GB.

Recently, when I tried to upgrade an app, and got a "not enough storage" alert. I moved a couple things around. But today I got notification, "Storage space is running out", and am concerned.

I checked, and had the following amounts of space available:
  • App Storage: 296MB (of ~3GB), or about 16% available
  • Internal Storage: 6.36GB (of ~7GB), or about 90% available
  • SD Card: 100MB (of ~14GB), or about 99% available
(Call me crazy, but the above numbers don't seem to add up: 3 + 7 + 14 = 24. How is the 16GB being allocated? What am I missing? EDIT: the above numbers have been updated.)

I have tried moving every app I can to "Internal storage". But this option is only available for certain apps. I could not move any of the bigger apps (Chrome, Facebook, etc.) - the "Move to internal storage" button is grayed out. There are some apps I never use that I'd like to move; Voice Commands (102MB), Hangouts (44MB), Netflix (36MB), to name a few. These also can't be uninstalled. I can't move them out of App Storage at all (I thought moving them to SD card would be a good way of saving them for now, to maybe use later).

Do I have any options besides uninstalling apps? It seems inefficient to have so much space used in "App Storage", and so much available in Internal Storage and the SD card. Is there any way to force apps to Internal Storage or SD card? Any way to "re-allocate" the amount of storage set aside for apps? All advice is welcome. Thanks!!

P. S. The bloatware that is Facebook is on the hairy edge of getting uninstalled. 177MB? And every notification pop's up onto my unlock screen and doesn't respond? Grrrr...

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You have virtually no internal storage left (app & internal) but your external sd card is barely being used. A total of 990 mb is not much to work with. Rather than moving apps around, move all pics, music, videos to your SD card. That should free up space in your internal storage. Clear your data cache will also give you more space. After freeing up some of your internal storage/app storage space, I would also uninstall recently moved apps and reinstall them so that they will reinstall in the storage space that is best for them to work properly and efficiently.

Out of curiosity, how many apps do you have installed on your phone?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Sorry... I edited the numbers to reflect reality. (For Internal Storage, I had the numbers backwards - wrote what was used first, not what was available. I hope I haven't confused anyone with this edit.)

Anyway... I have about 90 apps on the phone. And VERY little data (pics, videos, etc.) saved.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
How much cached data is being used?

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
How do I check the total cache used? I can see individually, by checking each app (via "Storage").

Also, I clear the cache approximately weekly (power off, then boot in "Recovery mode", clear cache partition, then restart).

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
How do I check the total cache used? I can see individually, by checking each app (via "Storage").

Also, I clear the cache approximately weekly (power off, then boot in "Recovery mode", clear cache partition, then restart).
Clearing the cache partition in recovery would take care of using too much space there. Having only 100mb space in sdcard is not a whole lot of spare space to work with. Sorry, I thought your sdcard was an external sdcard but it looks like it's part of the internal storage also. 99 apps is not an excessive amount, depending on the apps. Doesn't the Maxx have an sd card slot. Adding an external sdcard would probably solve most of your problems.

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Clearing the cache partition in recovery would take care of using too much space there. Having only 100mb space in sdcard is not a whole lot of spare space to work with. Sorry, I thought your sdcard was an external sdcard but it looks like it's part of the internal storage also. 99 apps is not an excessive amount, depending on the apps. Doesn't the Maxx have an sd card slot. Adding an external sdcard would probably solve most of your problems.

The 100MB on the SD card (SD1) is what is being used. There is about 14GB available. SD0 is about 99% available.
(I edited my original post, so I apologize for any confusion.)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Can you take a screen shot of your storage settings? May help see what's going on.

ie.
9eb354b0e426cd344485c3bbcd97acb2.jpg

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
I'm not able to take a screenshot. But "Application Storage" says I have Apps at 2.54GB, and Available at 307MB.

mobilepundits

Reaction score
Twitter
AabharanS
Have a large collection of apps that refuse to move over to your SD card?

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Have a large collection of apps that refuse to move over to your SD card?
"Large"? No, but there are several that can't even be moved out of the "Application" area. Some of the bigger "unmovable" apps are:
  • Yahoo Mail (1GB)
  • Chrome (195MB)
  • Facebook (177MB)
  • Google Play Services (110MB)
  • Voice Commands (102MB)
  • Maps (84MB)
  • Google App (66MB)
BTW, I thought Yahoo Mail was only 1MB, and only just now saw it was 1GB. Almost ALL of which is listed as "Data". So I am clearing that to see what will happen.

Also, I downloaded an app that seems to have helped a bit - "All-In-One Toolbox".

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing... Was finally able to take a screenshot of the "Application" portion of "Storage":

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-15-22-32-35.png
    Screenshot_2015-12-15-22-32-35.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 281

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hmmm... Before I clear data for Yahoo Mail (I don't know if I want to manually re-enter a lot of stuff), I'm thinking I should just restrict the data usage. Got the idea from this article: Pro tip: Stop Android data from being gobbled up in the background. Any thoughts?

And maybe I should do the same for "Words" as well (currently it's the leader at 364MB data usage).
Data useage is the amount of data it transfers to and from servers. While that may help limit space taken up by an app like Yahoo Mail that's downloading emails and etc, it's really not going to have a huge effect on the amount of space that app takes up.

Data useage usually refers to how much of you cell carrier's data plan each app is using, not the space that the data is taking up. Basically, two different types of data.

doniago

Reaction score
I'd move what you can to Internal Storage, but many apps won't allow for that.

I don't think you can move apps to your external SD unfortunately, but it's been awhile since I had this phone. :/