Trouble with app storage - application, internal and SD

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
I took a close look at Settings > Storage > Application Storage. Of the 3GB total, 2.54GB is being used, and 313MB is available. So I checked each app, to see how much each was using, and if any could be moved.

I checked the first 40 apps, and the total for "App Storage" (I did not include "Data") was 848MB. (The largest was Facebook with 175MB. The smallest non-zero was 1MB.) Of these 40 apps, only 9 could be "moved to phone", and the savings there would be about 64MB.

So one question I have is; if the first 40 apps account for 848MB, where are the remaining 1.7GB being taken up? Granted, the 40 I've listed are only a fifth or so of the total. But the remainder seem to use between 0MB and 4MB of storage. Am I missing something?

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
As I indicated previously, I've tried to move as many apps out of "Application Storage" as possible to make more room. But I just tried to move Words (used to be Words with Friends) to "Internal storage", and it is STILL listed under "Application Storage", and no space was saved. I even powered off/on. Now when I get the App Info, the storage option states, "Move to phone". :confused:

How do I get it out of the "Application Storage" area (that only has 3GB available)?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I would see what happens when you select "move to phone." For some odd reason, it appears your internal storage has been partitioned (allocated) to reserve so much space for apps, and so much for internal storage. I imagine that moving it to phone is actually moving it to your internal storage.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would see what happens when you select "move to phone." For some odd reason, it appears your internal storage has been partitioned (allocated) to reserve so much space for apps, and so much for internal storage. I imagine that moving it to phone is actually moving it to your internal storage.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
There are some older devices that had a specific partition for app storage. I remember them being a pain.

My best advice for the OP at this point is to uninstall everything you can live without and start saving up for a new phone. Newer phones don't set aside a certain amount of space for apps and you'll find it much more enjoyable and easier to manage. All of this moving and tweaking stuff obviously isn't really getting you anywhere.

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
There are some older devices that had a specific partition for app storage. I remember them being a pain.

My best advice for the OP at this point is to uninstall everything you can live without and start saving up for a new phone. Newer phones don't set aside a certain amount of space for apps and you'll find it much more enjoyable and easier to manage. All of this moving and tweaking stuff obviously isn't really getting you anywhere.
Yeah. I assumed that was going to be the case. It's just such a pain in the butt to move everything. Thanks for all the help!

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Yeah. I assumed that was going to be the case. It's just such a pain in the butt to move everything. Thanks for all the help!
Google is running a deal.. $50. off the new Nexus 6P. it's worth looking into..

shadie21

Reaction score
I have a question, how many games do you have installed? And have you checked your internal storage space Android/obb/ for old game data? If you have any unused game data in their, delete it, because that also takes up storage space

Also IMO you need to get rid of Yahoo mail, it shouldn't take up that much space

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Not a lot of games. One bloated item, Words. And a bunch of little things like Cribbage Pro, Border Siege Lite (Risk), Jumbline 2, and some others.

How do I check for "old game data"?

I agree about Yahoo mail. I think I'm going to uninstall/reinstall. !GB is too much.

Also, somehow, things are getting worse. I moved as many as I could to "internal storage". I removed (uninstalled) a bunch of apps. For those I couldn't uninstall, I did "uninstall updates" and disabled. After all that, got the storage space down to 11% available. After a few days of still getting the "storage space is running out" alert, I checked it (using All-in-one Tool) and saw I was down to 3% available space. What the hell?!?! What just jumped in to fill up the space? :mad:

I will keep updating with progress, but this is getting frustrating. Will likely pick up a new phone after Christmas.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1 on the new phone.. sounds like your best bet....

OP
DaveTheRave

DaveTheRave

Reaction score
Yesterday with "ROM" (the term used by All-in-one Toolbox) at 3% and "RAM" at 10%, I uninstalled Yahoo Mail and disabled Facebook. That took ROM to 10% and RAM to 12% (if I remember correctly). This morning I checked, and ROM was 62% and RAM was 36%. o_O

As an experiment, I may re-enable/re-install Facebook. Thoughts?

Codete

Reaction score
Website
codete.com
You could try that - I have heard of the Facebook app being way too greedy with the memory.