Trial User - coming from iPhone

andysousa

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just ordered my droid from VZW on a 1 year contract. Gets here tomorrow. I have been an iPhone user since day one and I am just sick of the horrible data. I will be standing in downtown boston and can't get an email.

So, I am using my 30 days to evaluate the droid vs the iPhone. I think the iPhone is probably be "better" device, but I am hoping to be proven otherwise.

Anyone come from the iphone have any advice to give me to help the process along? I am not a huge gamer, mostly apps like Woot Watcher, Ebay, Facebook, Slacker, and Ski Reports (all of which I can probably get for my droid right?).

I look forward to all the advice and news here.

Andy

Guchi

Reaction score
HI think the iPhone is probably be "better" device

you better watch that kind of talk around here. just kiding, welcome and if you want to get the most out of the droid your in the right place

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
I was a long time iPhone user but went to the blackberry storm before I got the droid on Nov 6th 2009. Even if the iPhone comes to Verizon, I will never touch one again. Im sick of Apple. I find the Droid to be the superior device. The only downside you'll notice at first is the weight of the device. Other than that I think you'll find it to be just as good. Woot Watcher, Ebay, Ski Reports are apps I've never heard of and never have used so Im not sure about them. I have FB and Slacker and they both work great.

Jokool_7777

Reaction score
Hello all,

Just ordered my droid from VZW on a 1 year contract. Gets here tomorrow. I have been an iPhone user since day one and I am just sick of the horrible data. I will be standing in downtown boston and can't get an email.

So, I am using my 30 days to evaluate the droid vs the iPhone. I think the iPhone is probably be "better" device, but I am hoping to be proven otherwise.

Anyone come from the iphone have any advice to give me to help the process along? I am not a huge gamer, mostly apps like Woot Watcher, Ebay, Facebook, Slacker, and Ski Reports (all of which I can probably get for my droid right?).

I look forward to all the advice and news here.

Andy

Ive supported mobile devices for a living and Ive had soooooo many devices so I think I have a good feel of whats good and whats not.

OP
A

andysousa

Reaction score
So after 24 hours of use here is what I have so far vs my iPhone

Pros
- screen and resolution!
- customization of home screen and widgets
- love the notification system

Cons
- Physical feel of it vs iPhone
- The keyboard is really hard to use, not even sure it is worth trying
- VZW 3G doesn't seem much better at my house compared to ATT. I am sure it will be better in boston while working, so waiting to try that for a final judgement.

I figured I would keep coming with the updates, there are probably a lot of iPhone users out there wondering some of this stuff.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The iPhone is a nice clean polished device...its very simple to use and everything is right there where you need it. With the Droid, it can be the same way as far the simplicity aspect of it, some of the apps and user interface may not be as clean or polished looking, but I have to say that you will get more usefulness out of your Droid. The motto of the Droid is: Function over Form. And it does just that. Once you become more familiar with the Droids operating system, I believe that you will know exactly what Im talking about. The customization is almost endless compared to what little you can do with an iPhone...I am still learning new things I can do with my Droid almost every single day! And I have owned my Droid since November! That's the honest truth...and I know what Im talking about because I have had some heavy use with the iPhone before I had my Droid. But the bottom line is, and this what I tell everyone that asks, the Droid is definitely better than the iPhone in a lot of areas. But also, the iPhone is better than the Droid in areas too, so ultimately, it comes down to what features you would enjoy and use the most. But honestly, I don't feel that an iPhone user switching to a Droid will be disappointed. As well as a Droid user switching to an iPhone wouldn't be disappointed either. They are both great phones packed with straight up awesomeness that offer their own little goodies!

Palmyra

Reaction score
So after 24 hours of use here is what I have so far vs my iPhone

Cons

- The keyboard is really hard to use, not even sure it is worth trying

Don't give up on the keyboard. When I first got my Droid I saw a number of post saying the same thing. In a week or so I got the hang of it and have little or no problems now.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
The physical keyboard takes a little 'breaking in'
Both literally and from a learning point of view.

The virtual keyboard is another story.. yes, you have to learn how to touch it.. but I would urge you to get Swype and go through the tutorial.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I switched from an iPhone about 6 weeks ago. At first, I found the size of the Droid a little to big. Now, however, I don't give it a second thought. I prefer the touch keyboard so prior to making the switch I was considering the Droid or Eris. I liked the UI of the Eris but chose the Droid because of the processor and Navigation, which is awesome. For me, the biggest change was syncing. I use Mac's so syncing my iPhone was a "no brainer."

I agree that once you get familiar with the OS of the Droid you will be very happy that you switched. Additionally, I know you will be happy with VZW service. Last October, I attended a Penn State home game. Even though I had all bars showing, I was not able to make a call, txt, send or receive email. If you can't make calls then the PHONE has no value!

Mike

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
when i was in boston my service was GREAT, and that was with a blackberry that didn't do as well as far as signal, so you should be good there.

as far as the keyboard goes. there are a lot of users here that never use the physical keyboard. i recommend trying an app called "Swype" or "Shapewriter".. swype isn't in the market, but you can search this forum and find installation instructions, and i haven't used shapewriter. they are essentially the same thing, here's how they work. say for example that you want to write the word "Sam". all you do is touch the "s", and then slide your finger to the "a" and then "m" before letting up. you don't have to be very accurate and it makes typing on a touchscreen REALLY fast (with some practice).. i recommend you give that a shot if you haven't already.

edit: i just realized someone beat me to the swype thing.. ;) enjoy!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
in the 5 hours of research that I did before getting the Droid, I ran in to something that made perfect sense. The BIGGEST thing that people coming from iPhones complained about was the "figuring out" how to use the phone. Fact was that they were so used to using the iPhone that they wouldn't like the Droid from the start. Further research showed that once 2 weeks (if memory serves) went by of using the droid only, they were not only more open to the phone, but most of the time, preferred it over the iPhone.

So, at the end of your 30 days without your iPhone I will be very happy to hear what you think. There are a few "non deal breaking" things that the Droid has to address, and they are things that the iPhone didn't necessarily do out of the gate, but it's the shi# in my book.

deputc26

Reaction score
The iPhone is a great device and while I prefer the Droid many of my friends who are non-techie and fashion conscience really love the iPhone, the iPhone is generally more polished and slick but the Droid genuinely does more stuff, it took me 2+ weeks to get used to the keyboard and now I can use it like a pro, it's not the greatest keyboard but once you're used to it it's as good as any other.

The droid certainly is the most capable phone on the market but what the iphone does it generally looks cooler while doing.

Of course similar to you the clincher for me was the network, I left Verizon once and I won't do it again despite their over-pricedness.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The iPhone is a great device and while I prefer the Droid many of my friends who are non-techie and fashion conscience really love the iPhone, the iPhone is generally more polished and slick but the Droid genuinely does more stuff, it took me 2+ weeks to get used to the keyboard and now I can use it like a pro, it's not the greatest keyboard but once you're used to it it's as good as any other.

The droid certainly is the most capable phone on the market but what the iphone does it generally looks cooler while doing.

Of course similar to you the clincher for me was the network, I left Verizon once and I won't do it again despite their over-pricedness.

This is why MANY (though not all) people love Apple products. They feel it endows them with a sense of being "in" or "tech savvy"... :rofl3:... that's one reason they are often so hated by many actual techies (and again, I'm not talking about the few actually techie Apple users).