From iPhone to Motorola Droid

OP
I

IceCold357

Reaction score
Congrats....but dunno what was up with your iphone, I live in Athens and have both the droid and iphone, have never had coverage issues with it here or around :eek:

No it was fine in Athens but just the entire way up from Hinesville to Athens my coverage was horrible while my wife had 3G the whole way. I did have good 3G Coverage while I was in Athens. Also there is no 3G coverage with AT&T here in Hinesville.

OP
I

IceCold357

Reaction score
Welcome IceCold357.

I found it very easy to type on the Droid's virtual keyboard after being used to my ipod touch, so I don't think you will have much of an issue there. I hardly ever use the hardware keyboard.

Only advice I'll give is, be aware that the Android Market apps don't undergo certification like the Apple iTunes store, so time spent on research is well spent. Not all apps play nicely together. Read the reviews. :)

This forum is full of helpful people so if you have any questions, you are likely to find them here!

Thanks a lot for the input. Very Useful tips on the Apps. I am just used to grabbing them and trying them. I will def do research and read reviews now.

cpjr

Reaction score
Congrats....but dunno what was up with your iphone, I live in Athens and have both the droid and iphone, have never had coverage issues with it here or around :eek:

No it was fine in Athens but just the entire way up from Hinesville to Athens my coverage was horrible while my wife had 3G the whole way. I did have good 3G Coverage while I was in Athens. Also there is no 3G coverage with AT&T here in Hinesville.

Ahhh, I see your problem, Ive never heard of Hinesville :icon_eek: Lol, just kidding...

CharlieX

Reaction score
I just switched 2 weeks ago. I've been iphone since the day 1 launch (3 years ago??).

iphone was tight: everything worked just right and all the options were easy to find. Android challenges you slightly - but if you even have 1% nerd in your blood it won't be a problem. In fact the level of customization will really make you smile. It's FUN to change your phone whenever you feel like it!

Right now there's NOTHING I did with my iPhone that I can't do in Droid. I wasn't a big gamer.... all my phone did was make calls, sync my calender, and play media. But a big plus: android has the new Google Maps which makes traffic transparent under the names of roads: a huge annoyance on iphone.

MEDIA SUCKS! I still have my iphone as my ipod. Audible doesn't have an Android app so I still need something to play my audiobooks. And renting a couple movies on itunes for a long plane trip is too easy with iphone. Removing DRM is such a huge hassle for me. I get why Apple is doing it, but it sucks I need to be locked into your device and the studios go along with it..... But you can still totally use Droid to play back un-DRM songs and videos no problem. Apple still has the bomb interface for music and video......

VERIZON!!!!! My ping times are 100% faster. I get DATA and MAPS when I need it. AT&T in Los Angeles was sucked dry because all us "fancy media people" had iphones. This is the primary reason I jumped ship - AT&T simply sucked. This network is solid.

LOUD and CLEAR!!! The Droid is loud. Speakerphone, ringtunes, etc.... And whatever chips they're using for voice are amazing sound. iPhone was always a little wimpy and tinny.

Last edited:

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay I LOVE my iphone but I am just really fed up with AT&T. On my trip up to Athens, GA this weekend for a game, I had to depend on my wife's Droid because the coverage on my iPhone was just horrible. It was really the straw that broke my back. I have been dealing with this AT&T coverage issue in my area for awhile now and was able to do so just because I love the iPhone. Well I just can't take it anymore and have just ordered a Motorola Droid from Verizon. I have no issue with the iPhone just with AT&T. Anyway, has anyone here made that switch from iPhone to Android? What are some tips on actually making that switch? Pro's and Con's I am really excited to be able to finally have 3G coverage in my area since Verizon has it and AT&T doesn't. I have been playing with my wife's Droid and it is an amazing device. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys! (Just my little rant and personal opinion)

Yep! I had the same experience -- did not have a beef with the phone rather with the carrier. I dropped more calls in seven months with AT&T than I had in the previous seven years with VZW.

I dropped AT&T November 1st. I did not purchase my Droid until December 26th. At first, I was not sure if I liked the Droid. Well, that changed very quickly. The ability to customize this phone is great and fun. I rooted it last Sunday which opened another world of fun.

My opinion, if your make the switch switch you will be very happy!

Mike

butch350

Reaction score
Why would iphone...

go to a provider that has bad coverage? That is one of the two reasons I didn't go with an Iphone.

The other is sending the iphone in to a service center to have the battery replaced.

OP
I

IceCold357

Reaction score

Ahhh, I see your problem, Ive never heard of Hinesville :icon_eek: Lol, just kidding...

Ha ha! Come on now, you know about Hinesvegas!!

BradDroid

Reaction score
Okay I LOVE my iphone but I am just really fed up with AT&T. On my trip up to Athens, GA this weekend for a game, I had to depend on my wife's Droid because the coverage on my iPhone was just horrible. It was really the straw that broke my back. I have been dealing with this AT&T coverage issue in my area for awhile now and was able to do so just because I love the iPhone. Well I just can't take it anymore and have just ordered a Motorola Droid from Verizon. I have no issue with the iPhone just with AT&T. Anyway, has anyone here made that switch from iPhone to Android? What are some tips on actually making that switch? Pro's and Con's I am really excited to be able to finally have 3G coverage in my area since Verizon has it and AT&T doesn't. I have been playing with my wife's Droid and it is an amazing device. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys! (Just my little rant and personal opinion)

Thinking about it.

OP
I

IceCold357

Reaction score
I just switched 2 weeks ago. I've been iphone since the day 1 launch (3 years ago??).

iphone was tight: everything worked just right and all the options were easy to find. Android challenges you slightly - but if you even have 1% nerd in your blood it won't be a problem. In fact the level of customization will really make you smile. It's FUN to change your phone whenever you feel like it!

Right now there's NOTHING I did with my iPhone that I can't do in Droid. I wasn't a big gamer.... all my phone did was make calls, sync my calender, and play media. But a big plus: android has the new Google Maps which makes traffic transparent under the names of roads: a huge annoyance on iphone.

MEDIA SUCKS! I still have my iphone as my ipod. Audible doesn't have an Android app so I still need something to play my audiobooks. And renting a
couple movies on itunes for a long plane trip is too easy with iphone.
Removing DRM is such a huge hassle for me. I get why Apple is doing it, but it sucks I need to be locked into your device and the studios go along with it..... But you can still totally use Droid to play back un-DRM songs and videos no problem. Apple still has the bomb interface for music and video......

VERIZON!!!!! My ping times are 100% faster. I get DATA and MAPS when I need it. AT&T in Los Angeles was sucked dry because all us "fancy media people" had iphones. This is the primary reason I jumped ship - AT&T simply sucked. This network is solid.

LOUD and CLEAR!!! The Droid is loud. Speakerphone, ringtunes, etc.... And whatever chips they're using for voice are amazing sound. iPhone was always a little wimpy and tinny.

Wow, you got me hyped up, lol. Great points on all. I am also not a big gamer on the phone so that's no big deal. Good looking

OP
I

IceCold357

Reaction score
go to a provider that has bad coverage? That is one of the two reasons I didn't go with an Iphone.

The other is sending the iphone in to a service center to have the battery replaced.

Yeah I have finally realized that a phone is only as good as the network it is on.

CharlieX

Reaction score

Wow, you got me hyped up, lol. Great points on all. I am also not a big gamer on the phone so that's no big deal. Good looking

More cons: kinda proprietary cable (micro USB.... not mini). A little bigger in your pocket - doesn't have those great curves of the iphone. Keyboard seems slightly more error prone that iphone... and the physical keyboard is really only good for gaming IMO. Verizon Visual Voicemail doesn't support Bluetooth (if you don't have a a2dp bluetooth.... like the every popular jawbone).... Google Voice might be cool, but don't have an invite. Media, again, sucks: sure you can see movies, listen to music, and look at pictures on Droid.... but the whole experience is neanderthal.

Equals: battery life seems the same. Charge every night and you'll be ok. Built like a brick - feels like it'll be solid for several years (though I did have dirt under my 3G iphone screen....). Verizon cost me $5 more a month.... no biggie.

Pros: push Gmail built in. Screen is awsome. Can make ANY media a ringtone or notification. You don't have to pay apple to make a stupid ringtone of a song you already purchased. There's an app called DoubleTwist that emulates iTunes to put music (whatever is non DRM) on your Droid.

Look, I was a day 1 iphone purchaser. I work in video production and haven't touched a PC in 10 years. I drink the Apple kool aid. But I really love this phone. Maybe it's the novelty? My iPhone was pretty much the same from day 1 to day 700.... But end of day I NEED a better network. And I really love being able to customize my Droid.

Last edited:

mikes

Reaction score
For me, I had the original iPhone for 3-4 years (lost track)
Let me help you with that. The iPhone was introduced on Jan 9, 2007, so it was 3 years ago or less (plus 6 weeks, since we're in Feb).

mikes

Reaction score
]The iPhone was introduced on Jan 9, 2007, so it was 3 years ago or less (plus 6 weeks, since we're in Feb).

Actually let me help you....

The first iphone was released on June 29, 2007.

Note, I said "introduced." Sure, the iPhone wasn't generally available until June, but that only reinforces my point. But, there's a chance he's an Apple employee, and had one earlier.

Since you disagree with my statement, here are some references. Go have fun arguing with them:
CNN
Apple press release

cpjr

Reaction score
]The iPhone was introduced on Jan 9, 2007, so it was 3 years ago or less (plus 6 weeks, since we're in Feb).

Actually let me help you....

The first iphone was released on June 29, 2007.

Note, I said "introduced." Sure, the iPhone wasn't generally available until June, but that only reinforces my point. But, there's a chance he's an Apple employee, and had one earlier.

Since you disagree with my statement, here are some references. Go have fun arguing with them:
CNN
Apple press release

LMAO....give it up dude....

In his original post he was saying he had the phone for 3-4 years but didnt know (since it came out) and your going to say January then cover it up like you were talking about something else, lol. And I have no idea why your even bringing up something about being an Apple employee.

At any rate I dont care.....really dont see the need in getting sooo uptight about it anyway.

Last edited: