Transfer Contact with Backup Asst.- Help!

Audiophobe

Reaction score
I used these directions:

This will only work if you have previously synced your old phone using the Verizon Backup Assistant program

Step 1

• Click on 'Export to CSV' located in the top right
  • Save the file in a known location, like your desktop
Step 2
And I keep getting a message that it does not recognize the format.
I use mocrosoft Office with the typical formats.
Any ideas?

PridgNYC

Reaction score
What does Microsoft Office have to do with it? When you click on the export to csv it should create a standard text file with the .csv extension. The file will have all your contacts (one per line) with the individual fields separated by commas, hence the extension .csv (comma separated values)

OP
A

Audiophobe

Reaction score
What does Microsoft Office have to do with it? When you click on the export to csv it should create a standard text file with the .csv extension. The file will have all your contacts (one per line) with the individual fields separated by commas, hence the extension .csv (comma separated values)

I guess I don't understand then.
I realize that's what supposed to happen and it doesn't!
I am doing everything step by step and it says that it doesn't recognize the format.
Can anyone add gudance?
Thanks.

GSteagall

Reaction score
Is it telling you it doesn't recognize the format in Gmail, or on your Droid?

elbono75

Reaction score
Backup Asst. won't work with the Droid as from what my sales rep to me..

There is a Virtual Backup for the droid (its part of the 2.0 os) I have yet to play with it, but it will make a replacement phone exactly the same as the old one.

All of your contacts should sync w/ your gmail and or exchange you have set up.

You can take the Droid into a Verizon store and have then transfer the old address book to new one.. They should have done this when you got the Droid..

Hooper

Reaction score
I exported my contacts from Backup Assistant as a .csv file but had to convert it to vCard format to import the list to my Droid contacts. That may be the issue here why the file isn't recognized.

Hooper

RTracer

Reaction score
Save file from verizon to your computer.
In your Gmail account import that file.
Import the file into your contacts on gmail.
Sync gmail contacts to your droid.
I did this this morning

psnikwah

Reaction score
When I was using Firefox browser it gave me the same message. But then I went to Internet Explorer and everything worked out fine It created a .csv file for me (I saved it to my Desktop so it would be easy for me to find, and I named it something really easy for me to identify like "Hotmail Contacts to Transfer"). That way, when you are doing the Import in Gmail, and you click on the "Browse" button when you get to that step, you browse to the location of the file (in my case on my Desktop with an easy name for me to identify). Then it imported my contacts in seconds.
Now I've got to go to the second part, which is log into my gmail account on my Droid and see if they're really there. Some are there, and some aren't -- hmmmm.