importing contacts from Gmail account

kirkflesher

Reaction score
how do i import my email contacts from my Gmail account, to my phone?

i tried to export my contacts from gmail to my phone using the USB cable....no luck. the following are the directions i used:

Sign in to Gmail.
Click Gmail at the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts.
From the More actions drop-down menu, select Export....
Choose whether to export all contacts or only one group.
Select the format in which you'd like to export your contacts' information. Please note, some of these formats can lose some contact information.
To transfer contacts between Google accounts, use the Google CSV format. This is the recommended way to back up your Google Contacts.
To transfer contacts to Outlook, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, or various other apps, use the Outlook CSV format.
To transfer contacts to Apple Address Book, use the vCard format.
Click Export.
Choose Save to Disk then click OK.
Select a location to save your file, and click OK.

Depending on the requirements of the program to which you're exporting your contacts from Gmail, you can easily edit the file to fit your needs.

any help you could offer would be awesome! thanks, kirk

SallyC

Reaction score
how do i import my email contacts from my Gmail account, to my phone?

i tried to export my contacts from gmail to my phone using the USB cable....no luck. the following are the directions i used:

Sign in to Gmail.
Click Gmail at the top-left corner of your Gmail page, then choose Contacts.
From the More actions drop-down menu, select Export....
Choose whether to export all contacts or only one group.
Select the format in which you'd like to export your contacts' information. Please note, some of these formats can lose some contact information.
To transfer contacts between Google accounts, use the Google CSV format. This is the recommended way to back up your Google Contacts.
To transfer contacts to Outlook, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, or various other apps, use the Outlook CSV format.
To transfer contacts to Apple Address Book, use the vCard format.
Click Export.
Choose Save to Disk then click OK.
Select a location to save your file, and click OK.

Depending on the requirements of the program to which you're exporting your contacts from Gmail, you can easily edit the file to fit your needs.

any help you could offer would be awesome! thanks, kirk

Either I don't understand what you want to do, or you don't understand how your Google account works. If you are signed into your Google account, your Contacts are already accessible on your phone (using the People app, with the People tab selected). The instructions you have are if you want to do something like export your contacts to another program, like Outlook, or save them to your computer's hard drive for some reason.

Here's how to have your Gmail account Contacts available on your phone:
  • Open People>Menu>Accounts and make sure you have added your gmail account. Then select it and make sure Sync Contacts is checked.
  • Go back and select Menu>Settings>Contact storage. Select it and make sure your Google account is selected.
  • Now whenever you add/delete/modify Contacts (whether on your phone or your pc) they will be synchronized and available either place.

OP
K

kirkflesher

Reaction score
sync

i just discovered my phone is having sync problems. trying to get my wife's phone, so i can go through tech support to fix my phone.

when i go into "settings" then "accounts & sync" it says: sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly.

and on one of the gmail accounts it says: sync error

any ideas?

SallyC

Reaction score
i just discovered my phone is having sync problems. trying to get my wife's phone, so i can go through tech support to fix my phone.

when i go into "settings" then "accounts & sync" it says: sync is currently experiencing problems. it will be back shortly.

and on one of the gmail accounts it says: sync error

any ideas?

This is what I'd try. Try one, if it doesn't work, try the next:
  • First thing I'd try is a reboot - press the Power and Volume Down button at the same time until it reboots (about 10 seconds). If you hear a click, it means you took a screenshot instead so just try again.
  • From your home screen go Menu>Manage Apps and select All. Select Gmail and then Clear cache. See if it works now.
  • Google Help: Problems syncing Gmail on Android.

OP
K

kirkflesher

Reaction score
thank you so much, SallyC !!

clearing the cache worked, the error message went away, and the red error indicator on the gmail account is now greem (instead of red)

how do i view the entire list of contacts? so i can choose the person i wish to send to.

thanks!

SallyC

Reaction score
thank you so much, SallyC !!

clearing the cache worked, the error message went away, and the red error indicator on the gmail account is now greem (instead of red)

how do i view the entire list of contacts? so i can choose the person i wish to send to.

thanks!

Glad it worked - and thanks for posting back. That helps other folks who find this thread.

You view the entire list of Contacts by opening up the People app and selecting People at the top. There's a whole lot more you can do though, including making certain people Favorites so you have quicker access to them.

Here's a link to the Razr's ICS User Guide. Go to the Contacts section and look through it. I think you'll fine a lot of useful info. :biggrin:

OP
K

kirkflesher

Reaction score
All worked out well with the info you provided. Thanks so much!
Kirk.