Import Export of contacts in Gmail and Droid

Goblynn93

Reaction score
I used my Droid to export my contacts to my SDHC card. It made a V.card file.

I then exported my Gmail contacts as a CSV.

I cleaned up all my contacts and made them fit the CSV file that Gmail exported.

I import the CSV file back into Gmail and sync my contacts to my Motorola Droid...

Now all my numbers are showing up as "Notes".

Does anyone know how to tag a column in a CSV file so that Gmail will list it as a phone number and not a "Note" so that my Droid can again call phone numbers from my contact list??

There has to be an easier way to do this...

I've tried generic basic headings "Name" "First Name" "Last Name" "Mobile" "Home"

I've tried using the Gmail formatted headers which have multiple listings for each number for information on number type, and the number value... but even using that form, spit out by gmail, I can't get my phone numbers back into Gmail from the CSV in a way that my Droid can sync to and understand!

Help!!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The easiest way I see is to export the Gmail contacts in vCard format too. Is there a reason you want it in CSV format?

OP
G

Goblynn93

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

jroc: I was hoping to use Excel to view and alter the CSV file as I am very familiar with it and how it works. I have now discovered that something Excel was doing was creating all my problems!

AnneDroid: I always read stock/stickies/FAQs/Knowledgebases call them what you will. And had those answered my question I would not have posted. I followed the steps, including using the exported CSV file as a template to build the new contacts CSV page... however what none of them mentioned is the possibilty that Excel can somehow make a CSV that doesn't work.

I found my solution... digging back through the stock posts step by step... I followed them all correctly based on the text I read... the only thing I did different was use Excel instead of Google Docs to edit the CSV file.

This should not have created an issue as far as I know and I still don't know why... but when I import the google.csv file exported by Gmail into Excel, and then save as any of the available CSV formats Excel can save as (MS-DOS, Mac, etc) they all fail.

I imported the google.csv into Google Docs, kept the headers just as I had in Excel and then copy and pasted my data lists from Excel into Google Docs and saved from Google Docs to a new google2.csv. Once I did this all my problems were solved! The CSV imported properly, Gmail Import correctly assigned all my email addresses, phone numbers, etc.

So vague are the steps in the posts I've read I should write my own step by step... but its more a Gmail post than a Droid forum I think. It really screwed up my phone though!

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

jroc: I was hoping to use Excel to view and alter the CSV file as I am very familiar with it and how it works. I have now discovered that something Excel was doing was creating all my problems!

AnneDroid: I always read stock/stickies/FAQs/Knowledgebases call them what you will. And had those answered my question I would not have posted. I followed the steps, including using the exported CSV file as a template to build the new contacts CSV page... however what none of them mentioned is the possibilty that Excel can somehow make a CSV that doesn't work.

I found my solution... digging back through the stock posts step by step... I followed them all correctly based on the text I read... the only thing I did different was use Excel instead of Google Docs to edit the CSV file.

This should not have created an issue as far as I know and I still don't know why... but when I import the google.csv file exported by Gmail into Excel, and then save as any of the available CSV formats Excel can save as (MS-DOS, Mac, etc) they all fail.

I imported the google.csv into Google Docs, kept the headers just as I had in Excel and then copy and pasted my data lists from Excel into Google Docs and saved from Google Docs to a new google2.csv. Once I did this all my problems were solved! The CSV imported properly, Gmail Import correctly assigned all my email addresses, phone numbers, etc.

So vague are the steps in the posts I've read I should write my own step by step... but its more a Gmail post than a Droid forum I think. It really screwed up my phone though!

Thanks again for the help.

If you'll write out the steps you took, I'll post it in the Stock Solutions thread so others won't have to go through the same pain and suffering that you did. You, of course, will receive all the credit for the solution!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes please do. If I didnt already have my contacts backed up to vCard format, I woulda been doing it one by one. I had issues trying to do CSV with Excel too. See, I never used Google Docs b4.....