can I import contacts from Excel

leoh

Reaction score
I have all my contact information in an Excel 2010 spreadsheet. I want those contacts on my Droid X. I exported them from Excel into a .csv file then tried to import them into gMail then sync to my Droid X. Problem is, I only get the name and e-mail address into gMail; all the rest of the info gets put into the gMail Notes section. I have read their rules on headers and field names but I can't get it to work. Since gMail can import from Yahoo and other e-mail accounts, I tried them and they don't have a facility to import .csv files, just import from other e-mail accounts. Arrgh! Is there a way to do this? I appreciate any help.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
CSV import definitely works. How exactly did you have the headers set up?

OP
L

leoh

Reaction score
takeshi, Thanks. I worked on the headers a bit and it works now. Still having a couple bumps but I'm getting 90% of it. The headers I ended up using are:

Last Name
First Name
Title
Home Phone
Mobile Phone
e-Mail Address
Work Phone
Home Address

In my Excel spreadsheet, I had all the address information separated into different columns (house number, street name, city, state, zip). I had to copy the 5 fields into a new spreadsheet then export it as a CSV. I then opened it in Notebook, did a Select All, Copy then Paste into a new column in Excel. The commas were still present so I used a Text Formula called SUBSTITUTE and replaced the commas with blanks. You put the Text Formula into yet another new column and reference the cell with the address containing the commas. And, since not all my addresses were complete (some were missing house numbers and street names) I ran another Text Formula called TRIM in another new column referencing the cell without the commas. This gets rid of all the leading blanks. Finally, I copied this column back into the original ss and saved it as a .csv file. This imported into gMail just fine. Probably would have gone quicker just to retype it all, but I learned something and hopefully others can use this information. Any questions, just ask.