Touch Screen not Responsive when plugged in

fvultee

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this? I have a charger I bought online (perhaps the problem), and when the phone is plugged in it charges fine, but the screen is way less responsive than when it's unplugged. I have to press my selections hard or multiple times to select things, but if I unplug it works flawlessly, single touch or light pressure will select. Odd no? Some odd grounding/capacitive (sp?) issue?

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
OK, thanks. Not a huge issue, just thought it was odd...

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
+1 on that. Can it be plugged into the computer or another charger (wall or car) with no issue at all? That would confirm the aftermarket charger.

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
+1 on that. Can it be plugged into the computer or another charger (wall or car) with no issue at all? That would confirm the aftermarket charger.

Yah it's definitely aftermarket, I think I bought it on Amazon for 1 penny!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yah it's definitely aftermarket, I think I bought it on Amazon for 1 penny!

I love Amazon but even over there if it's too good to be true…….

I don't know if i'd call it "too good to be true", I paid 1 cent and received a charger. Pretty good i'd say. I know it's probably total junk but I have insurance :)

Well, I'm not sure you can say for certain it's the chargers fault. If you feel it truly is and you want to use insurance, by all means do so but it could also fall under a factory warranty issue. IMHO.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If this only occurs while on charge, I think the solution is easier than that.

Just order one of those 2 cent chargers instead :)

OP
F

fvultee

Reaction score
I love Amazon but even over there if it's too good to be true…….

I don't know if i'd call it "too good to be true", I paid 1 cent and received a charger. Pretty good i'd say. I know it's probably total junk but I have insurance :)

Well, I'm not sure you can say for certain it's the chargers fault. If you feel it truly is and you want to use insurance, by all means do so but it could also fall under a factory warranty issue. IMHO.

No no it charges fine, I just meant that if my 1 penny charger fry's my phone after some period of time, I can always do an insurance exchange. :)

rednival

Reaction score
For what it is worth I payed $20 for a extra cable from the Verizon store and it is having the same stinkin issue. So I am not sure the fact that it cost you 1 cent makes much of a difference.

Lithoss

Reaction score
First, I'd like to point out that this isn't just a Droid X problem. I've done a fair bit of reading and similar issues exist with the D2, Incredible, iPhone4, etc etc.

But, for those still having issues, here's some interesting info:
A friend of mine with a D2 was having this same problem. He plugged into his motorola wall charger that came with his phone and his touch screen would go wacko. Unplugged it, worked perfectly. He plugged the usb charger cable into his laptop, worked fine. I attached MY D2 to his wall charger, and it did the same thing, the touch screen would go wacko.

Well, it turns out, he had the wall charger plugged into a power bar right beside a cheap ebay Ipod charger (see pic attached). We tried moving the ipod charger and the problem went away. Even with iPod plugged in right next to the motorola charger, the only time the problem would happen is if the ipod was drawing current, making the charger actually do some work. The fully charged ipod with the screen off wouldn't cause the problem, but if the screen was on, it would.

The cheapo ipod charger was interfering (EMI) with the motorola one. we separated them and all is good now. You'd think phone manufacturers woudl included better EMI shielding or charge cable regulation/filtering inside the phone etc, but i guess thats pretty low on the priority list in such a competitive industry...

Anyway, just something to try if you're having problems....

Last edited:

paulzdroidx

Reaction score
yep...

I have the same problem with the charger that came with the phone! NOT AFTERMARKET! it is THE motorola charger that came with my droid x. I don't notice the problem so much just with opening things and menu navigation, but definitely texting. It is so bad with text input that i have to unplug my phone to type a message, then plug it back in, otherwise i end up with all kinds of missing letters and my texts look like gibberish... i HATE it. Sorry to burst the aftermarket charger theory. Also, sorry i dont have helpful information, but at least you know i feel your pain :)

Oohyeah

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the charger that came with the phone! NOT AFTERMARKET! it is THE motorola charger that came with my droid x. I don't notice the problem so much just with opening things and menu navigation, but definitely texting. It is so bad with text input that i have to unplug my phone to type a message, then plug it back in, otherwise i end up with all kinds of missing letters and my texts look like gibberish... i HATE it. Sorry to burst the aftermarket charger theory. Also, sorry i dont have helpful information, but at least you know i feel your pain :)

I don't think you read his post properly. Read it carefully again. He (or his friend) was also using the original charger, like you. The aftermarket charger he was referring to was an iphone charger NEXT to it.