Touch Screen Behaves Oddly When Plugged into Charger

OP
K

kyoo

Reaction score
Well I just tested out the screen here with the new 2.0.1 - I don't want to jump the gun but I didn't immediately notice this - meaning I think it's been fixed!

OP
K

kyoo

Reaction score
spoke too soon, still some glitchiness

viperboy

Reaction score
This is not an issue that I have had customers voice. I will look into this further and see if I can duplicate this on a phone, I never had a problem with this on my Droid. But if I notice this, I will "send it up", as it were.

chrispt

Reaction score
I had it happen using the a/c charger that came with it, but plugged into a power inverter in my car. I tried to use the touch screen and it was like fighting a losing battle.

OP
K

kyoo

Reaction score
Yeah - I have to note this only happens when I have thee charger connected to my computer

Xerozix

Reaction score
This only happens to me sometimes, and I do think it has something to do with static, it'll work better on humid days while plugged into the comp.

chrispt

Reaction score
When it behaves like this do you run the risk of it actually messing up the phone? Like, if my touch screen starts behaving odd because it was plugged into the Moto charger while plugged into the power inverter could this mess it up?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is not an issue that I have had customers voice. I will look into this further and see if I can duplicate this on a phone, I never had a problem with this on my Droid. But if I notice this, I will "send it up", as it were.
There are quite a few threads on odd behavior with certain aftermaket chargers as well.

LosAngeles

Reaction score
I need to have my computer plugged into the computer because i use it often when im studying or just to upload music or files to my Droid. The first droid I had didn't have any issues like this at all. It is really starting to annoy me. It is at it worst when writing a text message. It repeats letters or thinks I've hit keys nowhere near where I pressed. Also trying to delete letters just fails or it goes really slow. When I have it plugged into the stock charger it doesn't have this problem. This isn't normal since it wasn't happening with my first droid :/ For the people with this issue what build number do you have? Mine is 42/09.. I'm thinking it's just random and not connected to the build number though. I think I'll just go ahead and trade my phone in.. for the price I paid for the phone and the monthly service for it I think I should not have said issues if my previous Droid didn't have this one.. it had another one. I guess I just have bad luck.

LordKastle

Reaction score
It is the 3rd party charger you bought like they said. It needs to be an official Motorola charger for the Droid.

There is a reason why those 3rd party chargers can be so cheap..at times they are not reliable. Luck of the draw really..

edit: my response may be irrelevant due to the above message being about the stock USB to computer. nevermind in that case.

TigerFX

Reaction score
I can confirm that this happens when using the stock USB to my laptop (Dell XPS M1530, year and a half old). I'm using that plastic case that covers the back of it. When I take that off or touch the bit of metal I can with the other hand, the problem goes away.

Too bad I didn't know about this before I peeled off my last screen protector (thought that was to blame). The first one (the rep put on) had a bubble, the second I screwed up, and the third (and last) was perfect. $13 down the drain :(

Anyway, amazing how just touching the back of the phone solves the problem. My hypothesis is everyone with this problem is using some sort of case. Many thanks to whoever figured that out
icon14.gif

LilRaRa62

Reaction score
nah... nothing to do with the cases I don't think. it may make it harder to "fix" the problem with the case on there, but that's not what's causing it. It's definitely a glitch that shouldn't be there on such an expensive phone.

Anyway, mine is doing the same thing. No case. Stock charger. It's fine on the wall charger, but has the problem when connected to the usb port on my laptop.

If I wrap my fingers around to the metal border around the screen, it seems to stop glitching. maybe just touching it once to release the charge will fix it... I'll play with that and see what happens.

This and the battery life are the only qualms I have with this phone so far.

Gemdog

Reaction score
I'm having this issue with the stock charger as well.
it's fine on usb but using an official brick it twitches.

The metal touching thing could be that the charger isn't grounded? I used to get shocks from my mac if I used the ungrounded charger (known problem).

I've got 2 wall bricks (one from first dead phone) I'll try the other one tonight and see if it's the same.

xkaru

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this?

The touch screen really acts kind of inaccurately/oddly when it is plugged in charging, at least when the charger itself is connected to the USB port on my computer. Especially when I'm trying to do something on the homescreen or something with a list and trying to select an item.

I thought it just might have been my imagination, but when I use the touch screen right after I disconnect it, it works perfectly normal.

Sorry if this is a repost, I tried a search but nothing came up.

This is caused by a build up of static electricity, use your free hand to touch anything metal when using your phone while plugged into a computer. for me its my laptop so i just touch the microphone port next to the headphone port since its right there but really any metal not directly attached to the phone will work

rentawitch

Reaction score
i have seen this as well, especially when plugged into my car... trying to flick the home screen left or right is a horrible pain (yah, yah, i shouldn't be playing with it while driving :p )

it's not enough to be a real problem, but definitely annoying!

Thanks guys. unplugged phone from USB charger and it stopped misbehaving! :) Cheers! It was driving me nuts