Droid 1 acting quirky plugged up, please help!

dclmac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a Droid X owner, but recently bought a Droid 1 off eBay for my girlfriend and we're having problems with it. It only happens when it's plugged up, but when it's plugged up, the screen is having a hard time picking up where we're touching on the screen (i.e. when we push the app drawer button it opens the notification screen). Also when it's plugged up and we go into menus etc, it's real jittery. Not sure if it's a problem with the screen itself or what as it only happens when it's plugged up. When it's unplugged it works flawlessly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Jeepdvr

Reaction score
There are a few threads that I have seen on the forum where people have been using a off brand charger and have experianced similiar issues. Are you using a Motorola charger or an after market/off brand one?

Hiker5208

Reaction score
I have to second that one... I have had third party chargers and had similar issues. I only use the original wall charger with it now and have no issues.

There are a few threads that I have seen on the forum where people have been using a off brand charger and have experianced similiar issues. Are you using a Motorola charger or an after market/off brand one?

OP
dclmac

dclmac

Reaction score

I could see how that would cause an issue, but I'm using the factory cable that came with the phone.

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a Droid X owner, but recently bought a Droid 1 off eBay o for my girlfriend and we're having problems with it. It only happens when it's plugged up, but when it's plugged up, the screen is having a hard time picking up where we're touching on the screen (i.e. when we push the app drawer button it opens the notification screen). Also when it's plugged up and we go into menus etc, it's real jittery. Not sure if it's a problem with the screen itself or what as it only happens when it's plugged up. When it's unplugged it works flawlessly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just received one from ebay yesterday for my son as well. Does the same thing, but only all the time. It does tend to go away after the phone has been in sleep mode for several hours, but still a major annoyance. I would like to know what is causing this as well - it's not the charger.

ftajeffrey

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's a question no one can answer. Have not seen this posted ever before. I have thrown rom after rom on it and nothing seems to work... However, sleep mode for hour seems to work for me, now let me explian to my son.

OP
dclmac

dclmac

Reaction score
Well I'm not giving up so easily and hopefully someone can shed a little light on our problem

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it's rooted and overclocked try a different kernel, if it's stock Items would also question the charging block but it seems you have been over that already....

Kias

Reaction score
My d1 has done that ever since I got it. Only when plugged into the wall. Not my car, not my computer, just the wall, with or without original charger and cord.

Rom after rom, same thing. I gave up on an answer a long time ago. However, my wife's d1 does not do it. I think it may be the luck of the draw...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
dclmac

dclmac

Reaction score
If it's rooted and overclocked try a different kernel, if it's stock Items would also question the charging block but it seems you have been over that already....
I'm currently using ChevyNo1's ULV 1.1ghz kernel, but this is the 2nd kernel I've tried... do you think the problem is too much voltage? Not enough? or maybe too fast? or too slow?

OP
dclmac

dclmac

Reaction score
My d1 has done that ever since I got it. Only when plugged into the wall. Not my car, not my computer, just the wall, with or without original charger and cord.

Rom after rom, same thing. I gave up on an answer a long time ago. However, my wife's d1 does not do it. I think it may be the luck of the draw...

Did you buy your phones new? Wonder if it might be a defective charging block like mentioned before...

Kias

Reaction score
Did you buy your phones new? Wonder if it might be a defective charging block like mentioned before...

Yeah it was brand new. It did it when it was stock, and when rooted, many different roms, many different kernels. I have 6 charging blocks and cables at home and at work, both oem and third party. My phone will do it no matter what... My wife's phone has never done it. She uses the same blocks and cords as I do....

I gave up a long time ago. I just live with it.

OP
dclmac

dclmac

Reaction score
Well just in case, I ordered a new charging block. Only $5.50, so it's not like I'm out of a lot of money if it doesn't work... seems like a winner though! Here's the link, in case anyone else is interested... there's only (3) left that I saw on eBay:
Charging Block on eBay

OP
dclmac

dclmac

Reaction score

Yeah it was brand new. It did it when it was stock, and when rooted, many different roms, many different kernels. I have 6 charging blocks and cables at home and at work, both oem and third party. My phone will do it no matter what... My wife's phone has never done it. She uses the same blocks and cords as I do....

I gave up a long time ago. I just live with it.

Oops, looks like I was too quick to buy one, oh well, only $5.50 (the price of a good droid app). I think we were posting at the same time lol... well hope I can find a solution. You don't suppose it might be a defective LCD screen or digitizer, do you?

Kias

Reaction score
Oops, looks like I was too quick to buy one, oh well, only $5.50 (the price of a good droid app). I think we were posting at the same time lol... well hope I can find a solution. You don't suppose it might be a defective LCD screen or digitizer, do you?

It wouldn't be the lcd... might be the touchscreen, but I just got used to it. I normally plug it in at night to charge while I'm sleeping. If I need to use it while it's charging, I just unplug it...