Touch Screen Behaves Oddly When Plugged into Charger

kyoo

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this?

The touch screen really acts kind of inaccurately/oddly when it is plugged in charging, at least when the charger itself is connected to the USB port on my computer. Especially when I'm trying to do something on the homescreen or something with a list and trying to select an item.

I thought it just might have been my imagination, but when I use the touch screen right after I disconnect it, it works perfectly normal.

Sorry if this is a repost, I tried a search but nothing came up.

richard

Reaction score
Erratic touch screen when connected to pc

I'm having the same problem. Touch screen really freaks out when connected to my pc. Wondering if I need to exchange the phone or if everyone is having the same issue.

stiggy

Reaction score
I have found mine will do that if I plug it in and don't touch the metal rim around the screen. It may be a way for the device to get a "reference" for the capacitive screen. My screen kinda shakes and moves around, but when I make contact with the metal it stops. I first noiticed this when charging, I se it down and only made contact using a finger to scroll. The solution I found by accident.

stiggy

Reaction score
Mine has done it a couple times. It might be a static issue. It happened when I was on my couch, and it has also happened in the cleanroom I work in (dry air=static). Has not happened when off the charger either.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
That makes a LOT of sense since the screen knows where you touch based on the energy your body has when you touch it. Not sure how to word that correctly but yeah, it can "feel your energy" lol so static could screw with that. Just touch something metal if thats the case.

dst1980

Reaction score
Until tonight, I had not had a problem with this, but starting now, it will not let me use the touchscreen if I have a data connection to the phone. I can use the AC-USB adapter and cable and the phone will work fine, but if I use a USB port on my laptop, it goes completely wonky, and it does not matter how I hold it or touch it.

volando

Reaction score
i have seen this as well, especially when plugged into my car... trying to flick the home screen left or right is a horrible pain (yah, yah, i shouldn't be playing with it while driving :p )

it's not enough to be a real problem, but definitely annoying!

EARL97850

Reaction score
I had the same issue, but only when plugged into my laptop. It doesn't happen if plugged into the desktop or the wall plug. I had to unplug from my laptop just to basically use the phone.

I have not had the chance to try the laptop again since that first time, but maybe it will get better over time.

Cya

wakblak

Reaction score
I noticed this as well.
Somewhat unresponsive when plugged into the desktop via a hub.
Didn't notice then when I had it plugged into a direct usb port.

CharlieDog

Reaction score
I had this problem with a car charger I purchased at a gas station. Thought it was the chargers fault, but it still charges the phone, so I wasn't too concerned.

OP
K

kyoo

Reaction score
Yea, I've actually only used the charger with the laptop, just cuz i always have it out and on.

The biggest definable symptom is that when i tap something to select it, it will often thing I'm scrolling the screen. The next big one is when I touch the top of the screen, sometimes an icon on the bottom of the screen is selected. It's odd. Definitely not my imagination

Jorakal

Reaction score
This issue happened to a friend of mine. Verizon swapped out his phone.

suzukimethod

Reaction score
on another an/droid forum (or earlier on this forum, not sure) - this very same question was raised, and it was (thought to be) traced to cheap power adapters. Some said it didn't happen with the stock adapter - (it happens with me with another micro adapter for my bluetooth handsfree dev.)

I can confirm that making the connection to the metal case stops the shake (on my phone). even with the other hand.

PridgNYC

Reaction score
Just make sure that your usb port, aftermarket charger, etc. provides at least 500 milliAmps. The stock motorola charger provides 850 milliAmps. Unpowered USB hubs don't provide even 500, even if the USB port in the computer does, and not all do. The capacitive touch screen relys on the ability to detect capacitance changes, this requires a certain amount of power to be available. When you use an aftermarket charger or unpowered usb hub, you are not allowing the device to have the amount of power it needs to properly sense the capacitance changes on the screen.
Granted, they could have designed this differently, but that is the way it works.