Too Many Pattern Lock Attempts. Help!

deeniedee1963

Reaction score
I got my Motorola DROID only abt 3 months ago & it was wonderful until the touch
lock stopped working & now I see that altho I am able to get into the reformat area
by pushing on x & the on button simulataneously (sic) it says that I am unable to
reformat it. Although I was scared to do this anyway as Im worried about losing my
photos & videos. I of course tried the signing in undedr a different gmail address
but nothing here either on old or new. I tried calling in with another phone but
even that wont let me in past the "end call" button & so I cannot get into the
settings at all. . With the accessories & apps I got for this phone I am into it for
about $600, & that is a lot of money for me but I needed it for cases I work on of
missing kids. So Im really furious to find out that this has been an ongoing problem
since at least JUNE of 2009! I have been up all night working on this & Im just
livid to find out that Motorola KNEW that these touch locks were a problem & that
this problem could potentially cause some real inconveniences for folks but
apparently did not want to cease being uncool by going back to the pin # locks.
Thats the only reason I can think of that they kept these new locks. They look cool
& the kids like them. Please excuse nmy typos but I have been working on this
nonstop since about 7pm last might. I know Im preaching to the choir on here but it
still feels nice to vent. lol I suppose my insurance from Best Buy will not cover .

This doesn't make sense. If you forget your lock pattern you get a chance to unlock using your gmail address and password. Are you not being offered a chance at that?

Yes of course I am being offered a "chance" at that. However apparently it is in the google system as it is not validating it one way or the other. It does not have time to in fact before it says its an invalid pw or name. I went back & rereerad my post & see I did not explain it very welll. I forgot to add that there is apparently a big problem with the pattern locks failing to recognize the code entered into them and also on Googles end too as mine is by no means an isolated incident I discovered as I started to research this last night. Although I thought it was all motorolas fault until someone on here pointed out to me that Motorola does not have that much to do with it at all. some ppl have had luck bypassing these problems & getting into settings long enough to remove the lock but I tried EVERYTHING & not a one worked. Dena

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was faintly wondering about that but found this site & got excited. It says invalid username & or pw. But it does not have time to really validate it one way or the other as it is just immediately pops up as saying its invalid. I tried using another gmail adress too & that one looks like its doing somethying as it spins around & says its "checking" but it will cont checking uintil I resrart the phone. Then its back to the google screen. I cant even answer this phone when it rings now. So its google then? Not Motorola? Im just so disgusted & frustrated & Im ready to throw it frankly.

So can you log on to this gmail account on your computer?

JCo352

Reaction score
So it won't let you do a factory reset from recovery? You won't lose any pics or videos on your sdcard.

deeniedee1963

Reaction score
well I am not sure exactly what "smells"...lol

The droid was introduced in Oct 09 so how can this be a problem sense June? This smells.

However I have been working on this all night & I assure you that I am not very good at cells & several times I got my info on the DROIDs mixed up & in fact I posted my first post on here in the Eris forum on mistake. My name is Dena Rush & I live in Oregon & I assure you this is not some conspiracy that I came up with just for fun. I just wanted to see if others had any sugesstions that could help me fix my phone. Dena

deeniedee1963

Reaction score
I was faintly wondering about that but found this site & got excited. It says invalid username & or pw. But it does not have time to really validate it one way or the other as it is just immediately pops up as saying its invalid. I tried using another gmail adress too & that one looks like its doing somethying as it spins around & says its "checking" but it will cont checking uintil I resrart the phone. Then its back to the google screen. I cant even answer this phone when it rings now. So its google then? Not Motorola? Im just so disgusted & frustrated & Im ready to throw it frankly.

I have checked several times to make sure I had the correct PW's & have had no problem signing into the gmail accounts on my laptop. Dena

deeniedee1963

Reaction score

Yes I can. Thats one of the first things I checked was my PW's. I have an acct on the Moto Droid that I always use & then I tried another that I had used to open acct with berfore I switched to the gmail acct I use now all the time.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
Guaranteed solution: Take it to a Verizon store. If nothing else is working for you then take it in. If they can't unlock it for some reason, they'll replace it under warranty. Just make sure whoever's name is on the VZW account (if it's not you) goes with you, they might not be willing to unlock it without proving that you are the owner or an authorized user.

If you don't have a local store, give customer service a call.

Reaction score
To unlock the phone it does not check with google. It checks with the password stored on the unit. Is it possible that you changed your password online? If you have changed your password have you tried your old password?

deeniedee1963

Reaction score
So it won't let you do a factory reset from recovery? You won't lose any pics or videos on your sdcard.

I wasnt sure abt whether it affected pictures or videos or not. But when I turned it onn & then pushed x & got to the yellow triangle it gave me the 4 options & I cant remember exactly what it said but it mentioined "error" in it & that I could not do it. But I had taken the sd card out as I had not realized it was neccessary to leave in. So I replaced & tried again but it still said it had an error of some sort. I think I should ck to make sure I put the sd card back in correctly maybe.

Reaction score
The droid was introduced in Oct 09 so how can this be a problem sense June? This smells.

However I have been working on this all night & I assure you that I am not very good at cells & several times I got my info on the DROIDs mixed up & in fact I posted my first post on here in the Eris forum on mistake. My name is Dena Rush & I live in Oregon & I assure you this is not some conspiracy that I came up with just for fun. I just wanted to see if others had any sugesstions that could help me fix my phone. Dena

Wasn't saying it was. I was simply questioning the accuracy of that statement. Someone might have told you it was a problem from last June just to get rid of you. You might have misunderstood someone. Someone might have misunderstood you and told you information about the wrong phone. Lots of reasons why that statement can be wrong and NOT be a deliberate act to mislead. Please do think I was laying that on you. I wasn't.

deeniedee1963

Reaction score

Wasn't saying it was. I was simply questioning the accuracy of that statement. Someone might have told you it was a problem from last June just to get rid of you. You might have misunderstood someone. Someone might have misunderstood you and told you information about the wrong phone. Lots of reasons why that statement can be wrong and NOT be a deliberate act to mislead. Please do think I was laying that on you. I wasn't.

oh ok thanks. lol To tell you the truth I was reading so many different forums that I think the mistake on my kind having come out in June of 2009 was mine & mine alone though I think. lol Im realizing only now how many different Droid phones there are.

JCo352

Reaction score

I wasnt sure abt whether it affected pictures or videos or not. But when I turned it onn & then pushed x & got to the yellow triangle it gave me the 4 options & I cant remember exactly what it said but it mentioined "error" in it & that I could not do it. But I had taken the sd card out as I had not realized it was neccessary to leave in. So I replaced & tried again but it still said it had an error of some sort. I think I should ck to make sure I put the sd card back in correctly maybe.

Just so we get this straight. You hold x+power, it gives you a /!\, did you then hold volume up, and the camera button?

b00mb00mchuck

Reaction score
Yeah you have to call your phone from another phone and STAY ON THE CALL to navigate around in your phone and fix the problem...