Forgot unlock pattern--help

[email protected]

Reaction score
Newbie here, I can't unlock my phone now using the pattern. I did go in and enter my gmail account and password as instructed , but it tells me wrong password. I can get into my gmail account online with the identical login and info.

Any suggestions other than go to the store for them to reset?

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
call verizon and see if they can help, i did the same thing a few months ago and ended up having to do a factory reset. i didn't lose everything cause i regularly update everything to my SD card (make sure to remove card before you do this)
Good Luck.

mikenilson

Reaction score
"need some help
family friend with Droid is in hospital and family doesn't know how to get into device. my friend's son has since come forward to say he knows the pattern that unlocks phone however we got locked out and it will only accept gmail login which nobody knows.

any thoughts how I can get back biometric / pattern recognition screen?
"

This was posted yesterday by someone who also has just joined the forum and it was their first post. Hmmm! Interesting....

OP
R

[email protected]

Reaction score
Lucky... I took the battery off for about 2 minutes... it is now working letting me put in the old pattern. I think I am removing this option.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Yeah, I used to have an unlock pattern that I switched weekly for "security." Then one day I forgot. Somehow I remembered but not after a lot of panic. Won't be doing that again.

jlutz555

Reaction score
Too many pattern attempts <SOLVED!>

I figured out how to fix this without having to do a reset or restore from any backup...

You need to have adb installed and a hex editor or i guess something else to edit an sqlite3 database. i used HxD hex editor. I'm not going to link it for you or explain how to use adb. try the search feature or google is always your friend.

*edit* I just realized you also have to already have previously enabled USB Debugging or this will not work...

**edit to the edit** if you're running a custom recovery other than stock this fix will also work from the recovery console if you mount system and data

onto the goods...

connect your phone via usb to your computer

1. open a command prompt in your tools folder

2. do an:
Code:
adb pull data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
3. open the settings.db file that you just pulled in your hex editor or other sqlite database editing program and search for the following...

Code:
lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently1
4. change the 1 to a zero so it looks like this:

Code:
lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently0
5. resave the setting.db file and push it back to your phone using:
Code:
adb push settings.db data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
6. reboot the phone and you're in.

Iif anyone wants to do a full writeup of this (Matth3w?) or needs more help, feel free to PM me

rcfx

Reaction score
"need some help
family friend with Droid is in hospital and family doesn't know how to get into device. my friend's son has since come forward to say he knows the pattern that unlocks phone however we got locked out and it will only accept gmail login which nobody knows.

"

This was posted yesterday by someone who also has just joined the forum and it was their first post. Hmmm! Interesting....

Ya right ... Gimme that password to get in!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
"need some help

"

sorry to hear, hope they're ok.

As for lock patterns go....this is exactly why i don't use one. If you're that paranoid about someone seeing your phone, keep it in your pocket.

issues636

Reaction score
"need some help

"

sorry to hear, hope they're ok.

As for lock patterns go....this is exactly why i don't use one. If you're that paranoid about someone seeing your phone, keep it in your pocket.

exactly. that's what i say too. i don't take the chances with "pattern" locks. if it was a number that's a different story. plus, i'm a little paranoid after my blackberry. i don't know if droid does the same thing, but my blackberry used to wipe after 5 invalid attempts, and people would get my phone while i was in the other room or something, and try and try to get into it, and they ended up wiping my blackberry.

the way i look at it, i don't care what i have on my phone. i'm not embarrassed by any of it. if you decide to be nosy and look through my stuff, don't get pissed at me if you see something you don't like.

Hiroller173

Reaction score
A reason to use the lock is that it's useless for any a-h that might have stolen it. No calls to Nigeria on THIS phone. :biggrin:

haledroid

Reaction score
I figured out how to fix this without having to do a reset or restore from any backup...

You need to have adb installed and a hex editor or i guess something else to edit an sqlite3 database. i used HxD hex editor. I'm not going to link it for you or explain how to use adb. try the search feature or google is always your friend.

*edit* I just realized you also have to already have previously enabled USB Debugging or this will not work...

**edit to the edit** if you're running a custom recovery other than stock this fix will also work from the recovery console if you mount system and data

onto the goods...

connect your phone via usb to your computer

1. open a command prompt in your tools folder

2. do an:
Code:
adb pull data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db settings.db
3. open the settings.db file that you just pulled in your hex editor or other sqlite database editing program and search for the following...

Code:
lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently1
4. change the 1 to a zero so it looks like this:

Code:
lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently0
5. resave the setting.db file and push it back to your phone using:
Code:
adb push settings.db data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
6. reboot the phone and you're in.

Iif anyone wants to do a full writeup of this (Matth3w?) or needs more help, feel free to PM me

Just had to do this with android 2.2.
1. I pulled settings.db from the phone.
2. Using a windows pc I download a program called razorSQL.
3. With the razorsql program I connected to the settings.db database.
4. select * from secure you will see an entry "lock_pattern_autolock".
5. using the built in editor I changed the value from 1 to 0
6. pushed the settings.db database i was editing back to data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
7. rebooted the phone phone and the lock screen was gone.

Nice work jlutz555 thanks for the tip