Locked out of Droid

inmotion

Reaction score
Whats up all, I'm in need of serious help, so any ideas \ responses are greatly appreciated.

This morning I added a lock pattern to the phone.

My girlfriend picked it up while I was away for a few minutes and tried unlocking it one too many times, so it gave me the screen where I have to input my gmail password to unlock it.

Problem is, the phone won't unlock with the email \ pw. EDIT: It keeps telling me invalid Password \ Username

I've tried more times than I can count, with and without the @gmail.com in the username, tried every password I've had for the past few months, tried restarting the phone, tried checking the password on my computer, tried changing the password with my computer, and trying the new one (and the old one) and as a last resort, tried calling Verizon. (all in approx that order)

Verizon is telling me the only option is a factory reset. I have too much data on the phone that I can't afford to loose.

If you have any ideas, please send them my way. For the moment, this thing is (basically) bricked.

justbob

Reaction score
Pull the battery, wait 60 seconds or so and try again.

OP
I

inmotion

Reaction score
Thanks justbob, but it didn't work. I waited about 5 minutes and its still doing the same thing

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can back out to a locked phone's home screen by pressing the Back button after accepting an incoming call. It is considered to be a security flaw in the current version of Android.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You can back out to a locked phone's home screen by pressing the Back button after accepting an incoming call. It is considered to be a security flaw in the current version of Android.

This ^ ^ ^

^^^^^Agreed [I didn't read the whole post. Deleted my original idea]

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP, a factory reset won't (shouldn't) lose your data. just all of your personal settings. once you reconnect your gmail account, all of your apps (paid and free) will download again and all of your data on your SD card will remain.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
all of your apps (paid and free) will download again

Are you saying they'll download on their own?

If so, is this new to 2.x? Because I had the G1, and when I logged into the Droid with that same Gmail account, nothing happened other than my contacts being synced. I WAS able to search and re-download a paid app for free though.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've had 3 DROID and have factory reset several times and have received every app each time (50+ apps). i have read reports of people not getting their apps, but they were switching between ROMs, so there could be disconnects happening there.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
* Copied from BostonDroids post in another thread. *
1) create a new gmail account on the computer.
2) call your cell phone with a different phone.
3) answer your cell phone then hit the back button and it will take you to the home
screen.
4) turn on wifi so it can do data and voice at the same time (remember that the phone
is still connected)
5) go to Settings -> Location & Security and disable lock pattern (you'll need to
enter to correct pattern previously set)
6) go to Settings -> Accounts & Sync and click "Add Account" and add your newly
created Gmail account.
7) hang up the phone.
8) turn the phone back on, at the lockout screen, enter your new Gmail account info
and it should let you back in
9) once the phone is unlocked, you can go in setting and remove the newly added Gmail
account and keep the old one.

stuhasdroid

Reaction score
What has really happened here ?

Firstly, why can't you get logged in with your gmail account and pass ? That isn't a Droid problem is it ?

Didn't know about fielding an incoming call and being able to back step to the home screen.

Is there something else that has contributed to this problem also ? Is there a problem with the Droid choosing to prohibit use of the lock pattern after said # of attempts ? How many attempts is that by the way ?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
5) go to Settings -> Location & Security and disable lock pattern (you'll need to
enter to correct pattern previously set)

How's that work if he can't remember the lock pattern? Or did I misread the original post? ***EDIT: Yes I did...Shutting up now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've had 3 DROID and have factory reset several times and have received every app each time (50+ apps). i have read reports of people not getting their apps, but they were switching between ROMs, so there could be disconnects happening there.

Even the FREE ones? I didn't think they do that!

Retrieving previously purchased applications - Android Market Help
because the apps aren't actually REMOVED from the device, the Market still has inventory of you downloading and installing them. when a reset/replace has complated, the Market will check your device for updates. updates include apps you've installed, even the free ones.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
because the apps aren't actually REMOVED from the device, the Market still has inventory of you downloading and installing them. when a reset/replace has complated, the Market will check your device for updates. updates include apps you've installed, even the free ones.

Now I gotchya!