Time for an upgrade...

xrawritsjack

Reaction score
So, finally I can upgrade from this crummy bionic (nah, it just needed some love in the form of liberty and an overclock :) ) and I am stuck between the razr/razr maxx or the galaxy nexus, or to wait for the razr HD. I don't really care for screen quality or any of that, I just need it to get at least a 3G reception (I live in a rural area and I have 3 bars 3G now) and something that is sturdy and can take a few drops on cement. I loved my Droid x, that thing was a brick. My bionic, not so much. I've heard the gnex is plasticy and gets poor reception, but ics and an unlockable bootloader (something that all Motorola phones lack out of the box) is very tempting. Now with the razr made out of Kevlar and what not with its 8 MP camera, compared to the 5 MP on the gnex, is also very attractive in its design but runs on gingerbread. Any suggestions on what I should upgrade to?

markc23

Reaction score
You'd likely get the answer you're looking for in the gnex or razr forums.....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
xrawritsjack said:
So, finally I can upgrade from this crummy bionic (nah, it just needed some love in the form of liberty and an overclock :) ) and I am stuck between the razr/razr maxx or the galaxy nexus, or to wait for the razr HD. I don't really care for screen quality or any of that, I just need it to get at least a 3G reception (I live in a rural area and I have 3 bars 3G now) and something that is sturdy and can take a few drops on cement. I loved my Droid x, that thing was a brick. My bionic, not so much. I've heard the gnex is plasticy and gets poor reception, but ics and an unlockable bootloader (something that all Motorola phones lack out of the box) is very tempting. Now with the razr made out of Kevlar and what not with its 8 MP camera, compared to the 5 MP on the gnex, is also very attractive in its design but runs on gingerbread. Any suggestions on what I should upgrade to?

OK.. I love the maxx, and i own two of them but let me stop you on the Kevlar comment. Most people seem to think that Kevlar is a rigid material.... its not. At least not in this case.

Kevlar in most applications is just a material. A pretty strong material yes. But its not like having a metal back. I believe its on there to allow the battery some room to swell, just incase it does.

The battery of the maxx is awesome, its also a solid device. My two are anyways.

The gnex has the better screen, and its unlocked, and it has ics. Other than that... I know nothing else about the gnex.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Ziggie

Reaction score
xrawritsjack said:

"Finally"?!?!? LOL.

The bionic is only a little over 7 months old. I've had one since day one and I had my share of reception issues at the beginning, but I've been quite happy since .902 came out. I'm rooted and basically stock.

You are either rolling in cash, have a multi line plan wherein someone else is giving you their upgrade, or you're paying for multiple lines for yourself. Whatever the case is, I'd wait unless money is no object.

As far as I can tell, there is not a perfect phone on the market right now. Certainly not one that is leaps and bounds better than your bionic.

The two best options out there now, IMO, are the GNex and the Maxx. I'd love vanilla android again, but the GNex has issues with signal strength. No go especially without a removeable battery. The Maxx seems like its about to be replaced by the Maxx HD, so its not even going to be the best version of itself soon.

Waiting forever for the next great toy is not ever going to make you happy, but the options available right now don't seem to favor upgrading now.

I'd wait. The bionic is a great phone at this point. It has two basic flaws right now: a locked bootloader and no ICS. I don't think the first will ever be fixed and I'm sure I'll have the second by 2015. Neither would make me upgrade though considering what's currently available.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Couldn' t have said that better myself!!!
Bionic Rocks!!!

kac8866

Reaction score
Very, very happy with my bionic. Rooted and running Gummy ICS.

Sent from my XT875 using Droid Forums

Jmoore1701

Reaction score
Patiently waiting...

I'm due for an upgrade for my OG Droid X...I love it, but I'm ready to upgrade to 4G. I'm tempted to go to the Razr Maxx, but I'll wait a few weeks to see if the Razr HD materializes. I'm not the type to keep waiting for the next best thing, but the Razr HD seems to be more than a rumor. So I'll wait until the end of May. If the Razr HD is no more real than it is now, I'll buy the Maxx and be happy. ICS should be on the Maxx by then anyway....May 21, anyone?

jgiannettict

Reaction score
Bionic Rules!

ICS is coming to the bionic........I love my bionic as well........I dont care about a locked bootloader....

:)
"Finally"?!?!? LOL.

The bionic is only a little over 7 months old. I've had one since day one and I had my share of reception issues at the beginning, but I've been quite happy since .902 came out. I'm rooted and basically stock.

You are either rolling in cash, have a multi line plan wherein someone else is giving you their upgrade, or you're paying for multiple lines for yourself. Whatever the case is, I'd wait unless money is no object.

As far as I can tell, there is not a perfect phone on the market right now. Certainly not one that is leaps and bounds better than your bionic.

The two best options out there now, IMO, are the GNex and the Maxx. I'd love vanilla android again, but the GNex has issues with signal strength. No go especially without a removeable battery. The Maxx seems like its about to be replaced by the Maxx HD, so its not even going to be the best version of itself soon.

Waiting forever for the next great toy is not ever going to make you happy, but the options available right now don't seem to favor upgrading now.

I'd wait. The bionic is a great phone at this point. It has two basic flaws right now: a locked bootloader and no ICS. I don't think the first will ever be fixed and I'm sure I'll have the second by 2015. Neither would make me upgrade though considering what's currently available.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
ICS is coming to the bionic........I love my bionic as well........I dont care about a locked bootloader....

:)

I'm beginning to wonder, now.

Razr has had an ICS leak for awhile now.

Just read that the D4 has an ICS leak as well.

Still absolutely nothing for the Bionic.

I am wondering if Motorola cancelled ICS for the Bionic just to be A-Holes, and never bothered to tell their customers.

OP
X

xrawritsjack

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for all your input everybody. I think I will wait for the next latest and greatest device to surface, most likely the razr HD if it surfaces at all. I'm thinking about flashing aokp on my bionic, because it looks like Motorola ain't releasing ics for a good few months for our trusty bionics. At this point, I find a sudden leak unlikely also unfortunately. Well, I guess this is why we have our developer community :) I'm just debating whether aokp or any other ics rom is worth it, they all seem buggy.