GNex ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
So I currently have a DX, I love the phone as it does everything I need. My question is should I wait for 1-2Qtr 2012 phones, or jump on the GNEX/RAZR?
My concerns of poor reception and battery life have me on the fence on these next-gen phones. I currently do not have 4G in my area, but I see a lot of threads in here saying the GNex gets terrible CDMA service. This next device I buy will be my handset for at least two years so I would like to get a great phone with the power and support to last in this fast pace technology race. I always loved the Nexus's devices and I was super pumped to see one finally come to VZW. I just don't wanna jump on the Nexus or an ICS RAZR and have a new batch come out, ala Bionic/RAZR ... What would you recommend ?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're not fully comfortable making the jump to a new current device then don't. I for one knew that there would be growing pains with the Nexus and am completely happy with my purchase. Also I'm lucky enough not to suffer any reception problems and have figured out to maximize battery life on my device.

thesoldier

Reaction score
I think I'm in the same boat as you, I've got a d2g that I love but would also like to upgrade to a 4G device (4G is available in my area). Dunno if I should wait for 2nd gen lte chips or what...I kinda want a Gnex though.

On a side note, I got a text from verizon saying I'm eligible for an upgrade since I'm a "valued customer." My upgrade isn't supposed to come until august, did anyone else get this too?

Sent from my D2G on CM7

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
You have 14 days to try the device out so you may just do that. If you have issues, just return it and wait. As far as power and support, the Nexus is the king of that hill!

OP
Q

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
I guess I should have asked are there any rumors of new up-and-coming phones? Also do you feel the "issues" with the Gnex, reception and battery life will be addressed with OTA software updates, or is it more of a hardware issue? I find it ironic VZW is/was offering the spare batteries at half price. I'm ready to grab a phone I like and wait for 4G service. As I stated before I do believe the GNex will survive the technology wave for the next year, year and a half. I mean seriously what else can you add to these phones? I could careless about the camera, I have a real camera and I don't sext ... :D

Also, will all my apps work on the new OS, LaunchPro, all the custom widgets etc... And my PDAnet ???

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I get great battery life and great reception. VZW had the same battery offer with the Bionic so nothing new there.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I guess I should have asked are there any rumors of new up-and-coming phones? Also do you feel the "issues" with the Gnex, reception and battery life will be addressed with OTA software updates, or is it more of a hardware issue? I find it ironic VZW is/was offering the spare batteries at half price. I'm ready to grab a phone I like and wait for 4G service. As I stated before I do believe the GNex will survive the technology wave for the next year, year and a half. I mean seriously what else can you add to these phones? I could careless about the camera, I have a real camera and I don't sext ... :D
Issues are mostly software related so yes, an update would help and many of us are hoping it will come out soon. As for 4g service, the network has been really unstable the past month, and like many others, I am not happy about it. Can't really go wrong with any 4g device that's out right now to be honest. Many will say the Nexus is for ROMing and all that, but even in stock form it is a very nice phone, but yes there are bugs and they are supposed to be addressed.

There will always be something "better" coming up, especially at the rate the mobile world/technology world is moving. I am more than happy with my Nexus and honestly don't care about the devices coming out within the next 2 years, which is how long I plan on keeping my Nexus.

ElectroM

Reaction score
If you do not have 4g in your area, and your DX is working for you, it might be best for you to wait. You can hold off and see if the software updates improve the GNex. Do you know when you will have 4g coverage in your area? That would be the time upgrade.

OP
Q

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
I'm not sure when we'll be getting 4G, however Syracuse, NY just got it, and im roughly 30 minutes east of Cuse. So hopefully some time this year.

jzmax22

Reaction score
Syracuse has great 4g . I usually hold a 4g signal all the way to albany and back. Gnex kicks as

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
Q

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
Wow, I'm slow .. I just checked the new 4G map and I am covered. So im going tomorrow to get the GNEX :D, I'll bare with the adjustment period. My last question went unanswered. Will all my apps work on the new OS, launch pro, pdanet etc???

TeeX

Reaction score
I can't tell somebody which phone to buy, but I'm very satisfied with my GNex. I bought the phone on release day and haven't regretted it for one second.

There will always be The Next Great Phone, but I'm happy I used my upgrade on the Nexus :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
Q

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
I waited and waited for the Bionic to finally drop, and once it did I was so tired of the delays I didn't buy it. Then the Razr came out and word of the Nexus came about. I always envied T Mobile for getting the Google phones, so I'm with out a doubt getting the GNEX!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I waited and waited for the Bionic to finally drop, and once it did I was so tired of the delays I didn't buy it. Then the Razr came out and word of the Nexus came about. I always envied T Mobile for getting the Google phones, so I'm with out a doubt getting the GNEX!
So then there was really no point to your thread:p

OP
Q

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
Yes and No .. I guess I wanted reassurance the issues would be rectified with OTA updates .. And wanted to know if my current apps would work. I'd love to tether on 4g with pdanet .. I may even pay for the better version.

Status
Not open for further replies.