TI 3630- 1000 processor, how do you think they acheice the 1.2 rating?

ikt

Reaction score
Looks like both the Droid X and D2G use the TI3630 processors, but the DG2 is rated at 1.2 gHz, the almost sole reason i bought it.

Is it just the same processor, overclocked for the DG2?

dancedroid

cpjr

Reaction score
Did you really buy the D2 only because its got a 1.2ghz processor? Does it matter that much? My X is overclocked to 1.45ghz.

OP
I

ikt

Reaction score
Did you really buy the D2 only because its got a 1.2ghz processor? Does it matter that much? My X is overclocked to 1.45ghz.

Largely. I liked the screen size of the X, but coming from an Evo, it was a bit old-hat. Liked the Fascinate screen. So I went with comparable screen, slightly smaller size, in exchange for a better processor. I do, occasionally, travel to Asia, but that wasn't a huge factor, and CDMA works fine there anyways.

If it really is just a factory overclocked processor, than makes the decision really more about the screen size and form factor vs. speed.

leobg

Reaction score
Processor name is TI-OMAP3630-1200. This means TI rated it at 1200. So chip is not the same just overclocked by Motorola. This also means it would be overclockable more than 3630-1000. Not that I feel there is any need of overclocking the D2G - it is blazing fast on me.
When I push my old Milestone (Droid1) to 1200, phone gets quite hot after a short while of actively using it. No such thing with the D2G - stays cool to the touch even after 30 minute Angry Birds session :)

shagoyjo

Reaction score
Yah. Some people have complained about heat but i haven't seen that yet.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

leobg

Reaction score
Heat could be related to spotty CDMA coverage and radio struggling to keep up with the "shadows".
I use mine on GSM/HSPA (from what I read you too (shagouyjo)). This could be a reason. Plus I got quite decent battery life yesterday - with low to moderate use - 13 hours before shutdown. I feel if on standby only it may top up 24 hours. Not that I am giving it a chance to sleep too much :) ;)

OP
I

ikt

Reaction score
Heat could be related to spotty CDMA coverage and radio struggling to keep up with the "shadows".
I use mine on GSM/HSPA

How? Are you domestic or international user?