Thunderbolt General Discussion - This is Not A Release Date Discussion

Reaction score
Yep. Too late for new batteries in the bill of material. Sure hope there is a mod to the report of no way to manually switch off 4G. Autoswitch can be bad news for battery/polling reasons. We need to be able to turn it off when not needed.

Pretty good chance the HTC extended battery will see high aftermarket sales. It has a new cover, but not sure if it still has a stand...

I have the mega size Seidio in the Inc. Handy for wifi tethering :)

Didn't think about the stand but that may definitely play into the issues. I hadn't considered that. I agree, it would be really good to be able to turn off 4G automatically so it isn't constantly searching for it.

Yes, much agreed with both! Being able to manually toggle 3G/4G is a huge deal, not only for battery life conservation, but also for those without LTE in their area yet. It would surprise me if the production model did not have it as a widget, but if it does not, it is likely that the good folks over at XDA developers will remedy that situation fairly quickly. Got the Seidio 1600 in the mail today, hope it is enough to get by for a full day, but it looks so little and thin. I don't want a huge bulge and have no case fit with the true "extended" 2750 battery from HTC. I'm sure that those willing to deal with that issue will be pleased with the life though, when the HTC battery finally comes out (expected in April).

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I have a question about sense. Since I've only had a OG droid I'm used to stock Android, not a manufacturer's skin. What I'm wondering is when you root you don't lose sense do you? I'm also guessing that if you put something like CM7 on it you will lose sense correct?

Depends which ROM you use. Just rooting, you keep Sense. Custom ROM's are very available that cover the gauntlet from full sense to plain vanilla for the Incredible and I imagine the Thunderbolt will be the same.

craigboy

Reaction score
I have a question about sense. Since I've only had a OG droid I'm used to stock Android, not a manufacturer's skin. What I'm wondering is when you root you don't lose sense do you? I'm also guessing that if you put something like CM7 on it you will lose sense correct?

Depends which ROM you use. Just rooting, you keep Sense. Custom ROM's are very available that cover the gauntlet from full sense to plain vanilla for the Incredible and I imagine the Thunderbolt will be the same.

Oh cool, thanks for answering. I love messing around with new ROM's, but I am really looking forward to playing with sense. Great to know that you don't have to lose it.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
I just wanted to get someone's input on if there truly is a difference between a single and a duel core in a phone. I know in a computer it makes a difference but would it truly in a phone? I'm just trying to compare the TB with the Bionic.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I actually love Sense. It's a great overlay. I'm actually using a Sense 2.0 ROM on the Incredible now, the Sense that will be on the TB, and it is really nice. The only time I stray away is when I periodically load MIUI.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I just wanted to get someone's input on if there truly is a difference between a single and a duel core in a phone. I know in a computer it makes a difference but would it truly in a phone? I'm just trying to compare the TB with the Bionic.

When the programming is fully developed to utilize it, there will definitely be a difference. But from my understanding, current;y Froyo and Gingerbread don't utilize the dual cores and I doubt there are many apps taking advantage of it yet. Still too new. But as they develop it out, the dual cores will become the way to go.

atmcgill97

Reaction score
I wish Verizon would be more open with us. The least they could do is just say what time frame we are looking at. I just wanna know if it'll be out before April. If it won't be, I might give up and get a last gen phone. I know thats a bad idea, but I'm really thinking about it. Also I'm worried that I'll wait a few more weeks, and when it finally comes out, it will be too expensive for data. I dont wanna pay too much for unlimited but I also am worried I'll go over the 5gb limit per month or whatever. (Or hopefully they wont change the price at all, but who knows?)

Natejka7273

Reaction score

Others will have other input but this is what I know. Dual core has slightly higher quadrant scores overall both productivity and gaming. Nothing amazing though but quadrant doesn't have full dual core support. Someone should use the new Smartbench 2011 with dual core support to get the best determination of that.

As for the user experience, however, the Atrix (dual-core) seems to be not too bad but I'd expect that there's some bugs and I've heard the Thunderbolt is silky smooth. The current Android os isn't "dual-core optimized" but I don't know whether that really means anything.

Only dual-core can use tegra-zone games but there aren't a lot of offerings yet and Gameloft, arguably the maker of the best Android games, has partnered with Snapdragon (qualcomm) so most games will have no problem with single-core for a pretty long time.

Only dual-core can do 1080p video decoding, 1080p video output, and 1080p video recording. (at least until VLC is released). It can play 1080p games too theoretically on a tv. (single-core is all 720P) The issue is that I have no desire to do that when I have a ps3 for HD gaming. The cellphone's screen is only 540p anyway.

Dual-core may or may not have better power management but ddr memory, which is used with dual-core, is faster than SDRAM and should have better power management. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that qualcomm's eventual dual-core proc will be better than nvidia's but we'll see.

As for me, i'm getting the Thunderbolt. I don't need 1080p video recording and the Thunderbolt's UI in videos has been shown to be plenty fast. Rooting and overclocking (not guaranteed on Moto's phones) will give it later life. Also, I can't stand motoblur. Processor speed follows the law of diminishing returns. The OG Droid's 600mhz processor vs. the thunderbolt's 1ghz proc is a much bigger difference than 1ghz vs. dual-core.

Of course, i'm biased. I'm on a family plan with two other people who never upgrade their phones and give their upgrades to me so i'll be able to upgrade to the pyramid or whatever comes out by early next year.:)

motty69

Reaction score
Didn't think about the stand but that may definitely play into the issues. I hadn't considered that. I agree, it would be really good to be able to turn off 4G automatically so it isn't constantly searching for it.

The kickstand won't be an issue as the battery cover only covers the top half of the back of the phone. The stand is built into the phone body, not the cover.

Sent from my Eris

2001400ex

Reaction score
Thanks Hook for being a little more fair! There has to be SOME speculation, or you will spend hours and hours moderating. Don't let the actions of a few ruin the other 600 of us who want information! :)

Anyways, yeah, I am on my third replacement OG and want the Tbolt to come out before I need another new one. I wish it was dual core and such, but am going to sacrifice that for getting the best phone now.

I don't think you'll be missing out with a single core at this point. Going to take awhile before the programming and apps are optimized for dual core. The new single cores will be more than fast enough for the moment.

Yeah, I agree. And people put WAY too much focus on the speed of the processor in terms of Mhz and Ghz. It was what, 7 years ago or so when computer manufacturers stopped labeling processors on internal speed and started using generic labeling. They learned that more cores and more efficiency was needed when the 3 Ghz limit was reached. Same for phones. And it took Windows 10 years to be optimized for dual cores, hopefully it happens quicker with Android. LOL I am sure Google already had that in mind and should get it implemented pretty quickly.

My main concern for the Tbolt is the overall build quality in terms of lasting. The OG Droid holds up well to drops and such, but I am on it a ton and have gone through a few screens, they eventually wear out.

Just get the darn thing released! Hahahaha

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I think the build quality will be fine. I have had my Incredible since the day it was released and it has never missed a beat. Including dropping it several times. Couple of times on concrete. Not even any scratches on it. I've been very impressed.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
Regarding the battery, if the Incredible had a 1300 MaH battery and was bad with battery on 3g, i dont see how the TB could be better(with a larger screen and 4g. Does anyone know how the new Snaps

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
To be fair, there was slightly more to the battery issue on the Incredible. HTC still has a "bug" in it where it isn't charging completely. That was much of the battery problem. Also, rooting and removing the bloatware and using more efficient ROM's has really improved the battery situations. A stock 1500 HTC batters fits just fine with the normal back, as will a 1750 Seidio, so I suspect they can build up the size.

The new Snapdragon is supposed to be more efficient on memory usage. It isn't the 3G and screen that will wear it out as much as the 4G.

shortsxit

Reaction score
Regarding the battery, if the Incredible had a 1300 MaH battery and was bad with battery on 3g, i dont see how the TB could be better(with a larger screen and 4g. Does anyone know how the new Snaps

They say its because the new next gen processor and 4G are supposed to be more efficient. We'll see, but I would plan on investing in an extended battery.

C5Vette

Reaction score

They say its because the new next gen processor and 4G are supposed to be more efficient. We'll see, but I would plan on investing in an extended battery.

Heck, I already bought and have in my posession 3 additional 1500 mah batteries!

Now I just need a phone to put them in!